The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite clinic lunches

A friend is asking for lunch ideas for a clinic she is hosting. Her mother and aunt have offered to do the lunch - they can both cook, and want to do something rather nice but still affordable.

They are willing to do anything from sandwiches with soup or salad, to BBQ pork, to chili, to casseroles that can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving, etc. They are aware they need to offer both non-vegetarian and vegetarian dishes.

Clinic is in the SE in Nov, and the weather will probably play a part in the menu - it can be either mild and sunny, or cold, windy, and/or rainy that time of year.

So what sticks out in your mind as a memorable clinic meal?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    A friend is asking for lunch ideas for a clinic she is hosting. Her mother and aunt have offered to do the lunch - they can both cook, and want to do something rather nice but still affordable.

They are willing to do anything from sandwiches with soup or salad, to BBQ pork, to chili, to casseroles that can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving, etc. They are aware they need to offer both non-vegetarian and vegetarian dishes.

Clinic is in the SE in Nov, and the weather will probably play a part in the menu - it can be either mild and sunny, or cold, windy, and/or rainy that time of year.

So what sticks out in your mind as a memorable clinic meal?
    I thought the panini sandwiches last time were great

From a rider perspective, I'd suggest something that is easy/not too messy to eat, and light enough that those who are riding after lunch can have a little something that isn't too heavy. Chili is great in the fall, but I wouldn't want to have a bowl of that and then try to ride! (But maybe for the auditors, it would be great...LOL)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Best: Hot baked ziti. I think they also offered mac and cheese, baked beans, and several other dishes at that one. It was a cold day (30s!) and you could tell everyone felt better after lunch.
    Worst: Premade sandwiches/wraps. I hate mayo, and about 95% of premade sandwiches and wraps involve mayo or mystery goo of some sort. So I usually end up just eating the chips and cookie offered on the side, which does not make for a happy afternoon auditor.

I attended one that had a vegetarian/and a meat lasagna plus a not too spicy chili. Great muffins and squares with tea, hot chocolate and coffee.

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I thought the panini sandwiches last time were great
    Agree, they always hit the spot at that venue. But this clinic is in another state - not sure if they will be able to do paninis there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    From a rider perspective, I'd suggest something that is easy/not too messy to eat, and light enough that those who are riding after lunch can have a little something that isn't too heavy. Chili is great in the fall, but I wouldn't want to have a bowl of that and then try to ride! (But maybe for the auditors, it would be great...LOL)
    Agree with this also - the riders usually seem to prefer something not too heavy. Spectators, OTOH, tend to want something more filling - esp. on a cooler day.

I had to laugh - just prior to a previous clinic, the chef mentioned he was going to do pulled pork sandwiches. I said, "Hmm, some folks don't do pork, and the riders may feel that is too heavy." Of course, then they went through the pork, and baked beans and dessert like there was no tomorrow, and were disappointed there wasn't more. So at the next event, he smoked another pork shoulder for sandwiches - and some folks complained because they didn't like pork.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    Best: Hot baked ziti. I think they also offered mac and cheese, baked beans, and several other dishes at that one. It was a cold day (30s!) and you could tell everyone felt better after lunch.
    Worst: Premade sandwiches/wraps. I hate mayo, and about 95% of premade sandwiches and wraps involve mayo or mystery goo of some sort. So I usually end up just eating the chips and cookie offered on the side, which does not make for a happy afternoon auditor.
    Ziti, mac & cheese, etc., sound great, esp. for a cold winter day. Part of the concern is having enough food - they have no idea whether how many people they will need to feed each day. Having been involved in providing food for WB inspections, I can tell you categorically that no matter how many people you think are going to come, you will be WRONG. Your best guess may be 20 people and you end up with 40, or you may plan for 40 and only have 15-20.

At a clinic series I used to go to, someone always brought hot apple cider. Like the real kind with a bag of spices in it. It was a huge hit! That might be because I live in the great white north, but it might be nice if it's cold and windy. And it was a nice treat for my horse, too;-)

Quote Originally Posted by beckzert View Post
    At a clinic series I used to go to, someone always brought hot apple cider. Like the real kind with a bag of spices in it. It was a huge hit! That might be because I live in the great white north, but it might be nice if it's cold and windy. And it was a nice treat for my horse, too;-)
    This was done at a show I went to. It's easy enough to buy some from the store and use a crockpot to keep it hot/mull it with spices. It sold better than hot chocolate.

Bite-sized baked ravioli or pierogies with a choice of toppings (peppers and onions, cheese, marinara, etc) with chili on the side (which could also double as a topping) might cover most of the bases of a vegetarian choice, light-ish, and warming for a cold fall day. Salt potatoes are usually a hit and cheap to make too.

I wish we had food at our clinics

Worst: Premade sandwiches/wraps.
    Agree completely.
    I love mayo, so that part doesn't apply, but baked beans and mac n cheese will win over a premade sandwich in my eyes every time.

Of course, my "worst" clinic lunch was when I was the Before Lunch ride, and after I spent 10 minutes MAX putting the horse away I emerged from the barn to discover Everyone Else Had Left to go to lunch together with nary a word, so I was by myself on the farm and had to unhitch my truck by my lonesome and find the nearest Subway.
    So following that experience any lunch at which I am not completely abandoned by everyone else is already a few points ahead. Even if they serve sardines and brussel sprouts.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I don't get out much anymore

But the last clinics I went to, both as rider & auditor, had a selection of deli meats & cheese to make your own sandwich or just munch w/o bread.
    Supplemented in cold weather with a crockpot of soup.

Along with fresh fruit and some bakery or homemade(!!!) cookies this was sufficient lunch for me to ride after or keep me stoked sitting in the bleachers.

Also like to have sodas and bottled water along with the everpresent coffee.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

During the colder months we like to do soup, in fact for our up coming clinic we will have butternut squash/apple soup, cream of asparagus, probably potato soup. We like to have sandwich makings, cold cuts and tuna fish, chips and dip both potato and tortilla with homemade guac, we often have leftovers from our Friday dinners, like roasted veggies (bell peppers, yellow squash, zuccinni potatoes. I usually provide most of the food with a couple of others bringing dishes.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by khall View Post
    During the colder months we like to do soup, in fact for our up coming clinic we will have butternut squash/apple soup, cream of asparagus, probably potato soup. We like to have sandwich makings, cold cuts and tuna fish, chips and dip both potato and tortilla with homemade guac, we often have leftovers from our Friday dinners, like roasted veggies (bell peppers, yellow squash, zuccinni potatoes. I usually provide most of the food with a couple of others bringing dishes.
    I *love* my butternut squash/apple soup recipe! Yum!

When I used to host the RPSI inspections, I'd order a variety of pannini from Panera -- but those were held in the summer and it was hot.

For this time of year, I'd vote for chili that can be kept warm in crock pots: one with meat and another vegetarian (3 bean/veggie) vegetarian chili -- with nice loaves of crusty, rustic bread for dunking.

Easy peasy. The Foodnetwork.com has some great chili and vegetarian chili recipes. Yum

At our shows chicken pot pie and quiche with a side salad are big sellers. Soup is nice too if it's a bit on the cool side, which it seems to be when you are auditing, lol.

Speaking for the large part of the population that is lactose intolerant (and there's more of us than you realize) - make sure that at least one of the options for lunch is "cheese optional". Having nothing but ziti or mac&cheese can be gastro-intestinaly distressing, and even worse if you have to ride afterward!

But chili, stew, and casseroles are usually a good choice that are easy and can be light enough for most people.

Not from a clinic, but from horse show lunch experience, so YMMV.

Best all-around: assemble-your-own pasta, with a big warming dish full of naked pasta, then a variety of sauces in crock pots, with another pot of meatballs, another of roasted veggies, with a veggie tray and some nice crusty bread. I'm willing to guess something like 90% of the carrots on the veggie tray ended up in the mouths of horses. I think it was cupcakes and fresh fruit for dessert.

Best concept which requires better execution than I witnessed: assemble-your-own taco/nacho bar. Choice of beef, turkey, or beans. The challenge was that some people just wanted a "taco salad" sans wrap/shell, and there were no bowls. Also very messy, not very portable, and some people are more... um, effected?... by beans and salsa.

Easiest concept that took the longest to execute: make-your-own grilled cheese. This was actually at an event, not a show. Wonderful plan, but the cook got very backed up, and most of us had to run out the door with a sizzling sandwich in our hands! But that swiss/tomato/spinach/horseradish sandwich was MIGHTY tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

Of course, my "worst" clinic lunch was when I was the Before Lunch ride, and after I spent 10 minutes MAX putting the horse away I emerged from the barn to discover Everyone Else Had Left to go to lunch together with nary a word, so I was by myself on the farm and had to unhitch my truck by my lonesome and find the nearest Subway.
    So following that experience any lunch at which I am not completely abandoned by everyone else is already a few points ahead. Even if they serve sardines and brussel sprouts.
    I just gave such a loud and long heartfelt "AWWWWW" on your behalf the 1 year old spawn toddled up to me and shook his head "nooooo". He feels for you too. That STUNK.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Someone said "sellers".

I never sold lunch. Lunch was included with the clinic or inspection as a hospitality gesture.

Guess I missed the boat on this one...

But it was worth the expense for all to have a really great time and not go hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by erniewalker View Post
    Not from a clinic, but from horse show lunch experience, so YMMV.

Best all-around: assemble-your-own pasta, with a big warming dish full of naked pasta, then a variety of sauces in crock pots, with another pot of meatballs, another of roasted veggies, with a veggie tray and some nice crusty bread. I'm willing to guess something like 90% of the carrots on the veggie tray ended up in the mouths of horses. I think it was cupcakes and fresh fruit for dessert.

Best concept which requires better execution than I witnessed: assemble-your-own taco/nacho bar. Choice of beef, turkey, or beans. The challenge was that some people just wanted a "taco salad" sans wrap/shell, and there were no bowls. Also very messy, not very portable, and some people are more... um, effected?... by beans and salsa.
    These are GREAT ideas!