The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Agility videos!

I thought I'd share some videos of my 14 month old Sheltie, Oliver, at our agility run-through this evening.

I still have a lot to learn as a handler, but I'm really proud of the progress he's making (often in spite of me). He only started doing "real courses" about 6 weeks ago, and he's only been weaving for 3 weeks!

First half of tonight's course
    Second half

And just for fun, here's a picture of the little guy and me from last weekend. Obviously I'm biased, but I think he's getting so handsome!

great job! he has an eye on you and watching the course, you make a super team!!

oh, he is absolutely stunning.........i have a smoothcoat blue merle collie, so am a bit biased towards merles, but he is really a looker.............and looks like you two are havnig a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    Wow he looks good! Confident, focused, and eager. Nice rear crosses...those can be hard for a greenie.

In the first half video, you could have done a blind out of the tunnel...

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    Wow he looks good! Confident, focused, and eager. Nice rear crosses...those can be hard for a greenie.

In the first half video, you could have done a blind out of the tunnel...
    Thanks!

I definitely should've handled the tunnel differently, you are correct... we were supposed to wrap around and go over the jump from the far side, but I totally stepped into his path and pushed him over it the wrong way. Oops.

I'll get it one day! And since my handling seems to be our biggest imposition, I think when I finally get myself worked out he's going to be a really stellar little competitor! No matter what the dog does, he just tries his little heart out.

(He's usually a little faster, too. The footing at this particular facility is a bit slippery and he slowed down after he wiped out on the serpentine earlier.)

Default Green dog + green handler

In agility, everybody starts green + green but in the horse world, oh no you don't!

Those plain jane first dogs who suffered through their green owners are retired when the newer, younger, better second (and 3rd and 4th) dog is old enough to compete. I get there is only so much time in the day and $ for entry fees.

Where o where are the seasoned dogs for the green handlers?

I am constantly apologizing to my green dog for his green handler. And constantly asking my instructor to let me run her "old" dogs in class. They love to get a turn! No, "old" pooch isn't bound for Worlds but neither am I. Gimme!

I guess since dogs cost so much less, they aren't sold on as packers or campaigners like horses would be. I also hear a bit of, 'no one could care for/love him like me' hoardy whines.

Anywho, everyone starts green with their pet dog. Yours sure looks good!

In agility, everybody starts green + green but in the horse world, oh no you don't!

Those plain jane first dogs who suffered through their green owners are retired when the newer, younger, better second (and 3rd and 4th) dog is old enough to compete. I get there is only so much time in the day and $ for entry fees.

Living the well earned good life, probably on the sofa, while the handler who still adores them takes the youngsters out to trial in the cold and wet!

And they're not all "plain jane" dogs, either - but face it - the "athletic lifespan" of a good agility dog is not that long, especially when you compare it to that of a horse. A very good friend's wonderful retired bitch looks great, but even though she'd LOVE to "play agility" with us and is totally willing, isn't able to physically stand up to the rigors of the sport at all now. It's just too hard on her body, and her owner loves her too much to let the dog hurt herself. That's why we have to be so mindful of our dogs - their minds are totally willing, but their bodies may not be able to follow through safely, and it's OUR job, as their partners to protect them from themselves.

I don't think it's about "hoarding" - Seriously, you spend that many years working and living with a dog (another difference from the horse world - how many nights does your horse spend snuggled up next to you on the sofa and/or bed?) - and you think that the owner/handler doesn't know that dog's needs and wants better than the majority of other folks would? I have to admit, I find that a little bit insulting, generally.

Not all dogs are willing to work with other people, either. I know a few who will run well (or even better) for different handlers, but I've also seen way more who, when handed off to someone else (that they may know VERY well), spend most or all of the time looking for "Mom" or "Dad" - that bond is too strong.

This just isn't something that translates from the horse-world very well at all.

Nice serpentine in part 2--those can be tough for green dogs :-)

That was an interesting use of a rear cross on the flat to get him into the third jump, but it worked.... If you just sent him with your right hand, would he go?

You look like you're already a great team!!

I observed an agility class at the place I go for puppy obedience class. The trainer invited me to run her seasoned dog through a couple of obstacles. I think she was trying to get me hooked. She brings that dog specifically for the purpose of letting her students try new things out before trying it with their "green" dogs.

Though I doubt we would ever compete, I do plan to enroll Bruno in agility when he is mature enough. See? Her evil plan worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddys Mom View Post
    She brings that dog specifically for the purpose of letting her students try new things out before trying it with their "green" dogs.

Though I doubt we would ever compete, I do plan to enroll Bruno in agility when he is mature enough. See? Her evil plan worked!
    Smart woman! Sorry to derail OP's thread. It really is another topic. OP, unlike the horse world, we all start as greenies training and trialing green dogs. Lucky they humor us with a wagging tail.

Quote Originally Posted by earsup View Post
    Nice serpentine in part 2--those can be tough for green dogs :-)

That was an interesting use of a rear cross on the flat to get him into the third jump, but it worked.... If you just sent him with your right hand, would he go?
    Do you mean in the pinwheel? I guess I'm not totally sure what my alternative handling option was, given the obstacle placement before and after the pinwheel. What would you have done?

Smart woman! Sorry to derail OP's thread. It really is another topic. OP, unlike the horse world, we all start as greenies training and trialing green dogs. Lucky they humor us with a wagging tail.
    No worries, I love any kind of agility chat! I don't have any agility friends here. Given that I'm a doctoral student in psychology, and most of my friends are too, it's ironic that they seem to have the worst behaved bunch of dogs I have ever seen. Definitely no training enthusiasts among them.

I'm betting the prevalence of green+green combinations in agility (compared to riding) is most closely tied the two factors already brought up: to strong dog/handler bonds, as well as the short working life of an agility dog.

But more than either of those things, it's probably related to differential safety concerns between the two sports. It may be a sort of a "trial by fire" for a green handler to train a green dog. It proves they're interested and committed. In contrast, while putting a rider in that same position would also prove interest... it could very well get the person badly injured or killed.

Looks awesome!!! Great job!