The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USEF appoints 'Blue Ribbon Panel' to evaluate High Performance programs

In the wake of an Olympics that can be summed up, for all disciplines, as a disappointing failure, the USEF has convened a 'Blue Ribbon Panel' (their term, apparently, complete with capitals) to evaluate the High Performance programs and make plans to avoid medal shut-outs (my term, not theirs) in the future.

USEF CEO Assembles Blue Ribbon Panel to Map Future Strategies for High Performance Programs

Can we expect results, or is the fox investigating the chicken coop?

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Can we expect results, or is the fox investigating the chicken coop?
    Yes.

My first thought was to wonder why there weren't some "outsiders" involved. But I suppose the fact they're not insiders would be why...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Does this mean when I renew my USEA membership for 2013 there will be a "won't you please contribute?" box at the bottom?

Blue Ribbon Panel. Hmm. Sounds expensive.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Is this the same one that they were alluding to on the Dressage Forum?

Any time you see "Blue Ribbon" in the name of something, you know its got to be bad.

Another "kissing your sister" panel. Same names and faces again. If you want new ideas and leadership you need to draw a larger circle and not use the same people - OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Another "kissing your sister" panel. Same names and faces again. If you want new ideas and leadership you need to draw a larger circle and not use the same people - OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

My contribution will be a broom.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Does this mean when I renew my USEA membership for 2013 there will be a "won't you please contribute?" box at the bottom?

Blue Ribbon Panel. Hmm. Sounds expensive.
    USEF is doing this, not USEA.

I love how the panel gets a blue ribbon when the teams that they put together can't win one. This is like the consolation gift bags at a 5 year-old's birthday party.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    My contribution will be a broom.
    Broom? This is a job for an industrial-strength pressure washer.

Interesting that the COO of USA Gymnastics coach is on the panel...

Interesting that the COO of USA Gymnastics coach is on the panel...
    I saw that too and wondered if someone said "vaulting coach" and the person who wrote the release didn't take the time to double check their facts.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

In another post, I likened USEF governance to the old Soviet era Russian Politburo. Same names, same families, same transparency and same outreach to new ideas and blood. If there is outreach, it's only for show.

Gribbons is gone in dressage, CMP is gone in eventing, GM is gone in SJ, and the team farrier and vet are gone as well.

Will any and or all of these personnel changes make a difference?

Even Jane Clark is dumping the USEF.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Ron Galimore - Chief Operating Officer, USA Gymnastics

He is in fact the COO of USA Gymnastics.

Is it possible that gymnastics success is a good basis to look back at equestrian and see how their prep worked or didn't.

Just a thought.

Although I find it interesting that no one outside the "normal cast" was enlisted into this endeavor.

Too bad they avoided Jimmy once again. He would tell them top to bottom what worked and didn't.

Hell better yet, bring in Yogi Breisner and Lucinda Green. They would have a good old chuckle.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Or they could have looked to help from recently-successful niche sports in the US.

Here's one example. Archery -- both men's and women's -- has gone from mediocrity/obscurity to world power under the leadership of three-time Olympian Denise Parker.

US Archery on solid footing with Denise Parker at helm

The idea that the current/past HP folks are investigating their own failings is about as laughable as John Long's excuses for not being in touch with reality ('I was on vacation in Europe!' 'the economy changed!') about the 2010 WEG ticket/accommodation prices.

There's never any accountability with the USEF lot, is there?

I think there is some ignorance here on how a committee must work. Having chaired a few, and run a few meetings, and appointed a few people to important committees that needed decision-making and leadership, I beg to differ.

First of all -- it's who will serve, not just "naming the same old people again". A lot of people don't have the time or inclination to sit down - discuss - talk - go over the facts - do their research at home, on a plane, in the car between rainstorms and lessons, at night at home in the wee hours when you finally get back after a long day at a horse show. I fully and completely support ANYONE named to such a panel because they are going to have their work cut out for them.

Second, don't you want a panel like this to have a couple of eventers, a couple of dressage folks, a couple of jumping people, a finance/logistics/team person, and an outside person from another olympic sport who can provide some insight? And cares to be there? God bless the gymnastics guy. It's not like he doesn't have a plateful himself to do.

Third, I am pleased with the make up because they are people who were closely associated with the team and know the struggles intimately. They are not outsiders. I don't really want outsiders. They are going to come in with big pronouncements, unsubstantiated allegations, no hands-on, no base of supportable experience and tell everyone in no uncertain terms we all need to put official USET rocking horses in daycares throughout the nation and then LEAVE. Not interested. REAL leadership not only takes dedication and knowledge but patience and some negotiation, not wholesale destruction. It may be that they come up with a plan of wholesale destruction and start all over, and if so, good for them. But we owe them the benefit of the doubt.

I think there are some very forward thinking folks on that panel who have a history of sticking their hand up and being available for work that has to be done. I will support the panel until their findings come out, and then hopefully they will be public so we can discuss them and make opinions then. In the meantime I'm thanking them for their service to the sport and hope they can find the things that are really wrong and put forth a workable roadmap to fix them.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Since many of these individuals were part of the problem, I'm not sure why we owe them the benefit of the doubt. They've failed miserably in two cycles. They lost the benefit of the doubt. We already know that Anne Gribbons doesn't have the answers because "why bother trying" is not a solution.

In fact, the very presence of some of these individuals (cough, DOC, Anne Gribbons, cough) on this panel will likely have a chilling effect on honest and forthright dialogue. If you ever want you or your students to be selected for future event teams, how do you say to DOC that whatever money spent on Mr. Medicott for KOC to ride was wasted money and would have been far better spent far earlier purchasing several potential team horses for multiple riders with sufficient lead time to develop them on or that Mandiba should never have smelled an international team much less two of them plus at least one travel grant on top of that.

Can DOC and Bobby Costello really have a conversation about the horse trading that must have been involved in the lead up to leaving Sinead Halpin off the team. Is DOC really ready to talk about the disaster that was MLM and the taint she brought to eventing with the dodgy drug rumors and the debacle of Rovano Rex almost getting on the plane when he still couldn't pass a jog months later?

How do you present to a panel that includes Anne Gribbons, the ways in which Anne Gribbons contributed to the failure of the last Olympic team?

The insiders are never going to be honest because they're protecting their own nests. It would be better to select a knowledgable outsider and then have them interview everyone involved off the record and see what conclusions they come up with.

One other thing I'll say is that a Blue Ribbon Panel is a certain indicator that the leadership of the organization has failed and is just trying to inoculate itself from that failure.

How can you have a High Performance Program across three disciplines developed by a panel? not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    It would be better to select a knowledgable outsider and then have them interview everyone involved off the record and see what conclusions they come up with.
    Presenting Exhibit A for why outsiders are a better choice than foxes for investigating the chicken coop:

Appendix F - Personal observations on the reliability of the Shuttle by R. P. Feynman

To quote from his conclusion:

NASA owes it to the citizens from whom it asks support to be frank, honest, and informative, so that these citizens can make the wisest decisions for the use of their limited resources.

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
    Substitute 'USEF' for 'NASA' and 'team' for 'technology' and 'results' for 'nature'....

Maybe the knowledgeable outsider WAS invited but declined....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

The glory of "outsider" as a category is there is a much larger pool of candidates from whom one can select...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed