The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quick replies pls - trailering to vet now

Wondering what would be best way to trailer. Trailet 2 horse, so we can leave the divider up and tie her, or take divider out and leave her loose (or any other suggestions).

Pony wearing Nanric shoes with lots of tape on fronts due to founder. Now something wrong with back end/legs - very wobbly, can't walk right. Would it be best to trailer her loose or tied/trailer. Leaving in few minutes, will be 40 min or so ride to vet, not highway, hills/curves. TIA

I'd leave her loose and bed the trailer deep. Good luck!
    Last edited by jjgg24; Oct. 9, 2012 at 07:21 PM.

Personally I'd tie and leave divider, so pony has something to lean against. loose, and he might go down and try to scramble. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

Id leave her loose if she falls she can just go down no tie to hang her by.Best of luck.

My vote is for loose with no divider. I think the pony is likely to go down no matter what and you don't want a horse tied and down or down and stuck under the divider. Good luck to you and the pony.

I would leave the divider up and tie with a safety tie that will release if she goes down. Bed the trailer deeply. Be prepared to move the divider over if she does go down en route.

I would leave her loose, no divider. IMO that is safest.

Default This & Jingles & AO ~

This ~ and Jingles & AO !~

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I would leave her loose, no divider. IMO that is safest.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I hope your mare is ok. Please let us know.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Thanks all. We decided to leave the divider up and tie her for some support. She was fine (except for the fact that she is stubborn as heck and it took us 1.5 hours to load her - she's not afraid, she's just stubborn, and pressure does not work with her. So tons of treats and hay and some pressue which did not work, eventually she ate a hay path on the trailer far enough to get on so we could get the butt bar up. We tried everything we could think of.). So...she wasn't so sick that she couldn't give us a hard time with that .

When we got the vet's office he watched her walk, he said he's never seen a horse walk this way. The only thing he could think of last night is that it might be from having the Nanric shoes on, raising her heels, maybe thrown something out of joint, felt it was her hocks (you know, like if you foot hurts and you are limping and it gets your back). And we had stopped all Bute on Sunday so he thought maybe the bute had been masking this. Going to have the other vets in the practice take a look at her tomorrow.

Anyway, other than the loading, it went better than expected so far. We will be relieved if it is that and not some neurological problem. Thanks again for all of the quick answers.

leep us posted, and AO as our Zu Zu says!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Default Jingles & AO for your pony ~ ((hugs)) for her family

Jingles for your pony mare ~ ((hugs)) for her family ~

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE ~ AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Oct. 10, 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: color was not working until edit
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I hope she's ok!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Has the laminitis gone to the back feet?

Good luck. I hope she is better soon.

No, we don't believe it's gone to the back. The way she was walking was bizarre, not like she was in pain, but like her hind legs were not strong enough or something.

The vet said she is a little sore on the fronts today but feels that is due to all of the activity yesterday. Also said her back is a little tender.

Unfortunately, we have to leave for FL tomorrow to deal with deceased father's estate, so leaving her at the vet for a week, which I think will be best. He can monitor her, said he'd work to try to get her off the bute altogether (did bloodwork this morning and her liver function is fine so far), and maybe take the shoes off and try a different wedge. He's also going to give her thyroid med, said it would help with her metabolism.

The rotation was, surprising to us, pretty bad. He said he has seen all kinds - horses that are very bad shape and don't act like it at all, and ones that act like it's very bad and it's actually not, so you just can't tell (w/out xrays). We are optimistic she will be okay and are working on preparing a dry lot for her since even with grazing muzzle, probably best that she gets very little/no grass.

The back leg thing was just really weird and scary, but I am leaning towards thinking it is somehow related to the shoes/wedges, misaligning something else.