The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default tail rubbing: pinworms? Ivermectin?

So... my mare started rubbing her tail around May. I read here about all kinds of things to try, and tried most of them over the summer, and nothing worked. A vet then told me to look for "yellowish or grayish powdery trails" around her anus, which would be a sign of pinworms. And yep, she had that. So she got one dose of Ivermectin and almost immediately stopped rubbing her tail... for about 10 days. And now she's back to rubbing it again. Someone else suggested a second dose of Ivermectin as when I gave the first dose, there may have been pinworms in a non-vulnerable state of the life cycle. Does this make sense?

(I just want her pretty tail back... Last year I was trimming it to keep it from dragging on the ground, and this year it has gradually become... shorter )

(Note: she's getting a fecal done soon as she is one of the few horses at the barn who ever has worms in her manure, so she's more closely monitored. She's super-healthy otherwise, eating well, nice coat, no "worm belly.")
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Outside of a worm issue I'd try a mix of original listerine and baby oil applied to the dock area of the tail and anus. It does wonders for the itchiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Outside of a worm issue I'd try a mix of original listerine and baby oil applied to the dock area of the tail and anus. It does wonders for the itchiness.
    Did that... sadly it did not help! Also tried pure Listerine, extra careful cleaning between her hindlegs and around her udder, one of the Eqyss products, MTG (made things MUCH worse), conditioner in her tail, NO conditioner in her tail, etc. So far the Ivermectin's the only thing that helped.

Have you tried a daily wormer?

My recent FEC came up with some pinworms/strongyloides in 3/4 horses, so they all got Anthelcide per the vet's recommendation. In reading the label, it said the recommended dose for this critter is 1.5x the "regular" amount. One of them (the one with the "nearly zero" egg count) was rubbing his tail, so we shall see.
    Click here before you buy.

DWs don't treat anything adult - they only prevent juveniles from maturing.

Deltawave is right about the Anthelcide - it's only use these days is a 1.5x dose, so if you decide to use that, do that. Ivermectin DOES get pinworms, but since we need to save the -ectins for really good needs, the Anthelcide is a good choice for this situation

The only horse we have ever had with pinworms, neither ivermectin or Quest solved the problem. What worked is either Strongid or a "zole" dewormer, like Panacur, and to keep them at bay, he needed to be dewormed with that monthly, so we alternated. Not sure why he was really susceptible?? or why we seemed to never get him 100% cured from coming back.

I JUST had a discussion about this with my vet when we had a mare who had rubbed her tail. She said to worm with Strongid, not ivermectin, for pinworms.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    The only horse we have ever had with pinworms, neither ivermectin or Quest solved the problem. What worked is either Strongid or a "zole" dewormer, like Panacur, and to keep them at bay, he needed to be dewormed with that monthly, so we alternated. Not sure why he was really susceptible?? or why we seemed to never get him 100% cured from coming back.
    Thanks everyone. The vet is coming next week for a routine visit (including a fecal sample) so I will ask her then.

I know around here everyone is going to fecals and twice-per-year worming based on fecal results, but perhaps some horses just need more intense management.

Isn't it odd how some horses just seem to be more prone to worms? When the spring fecals were done, my nice healthy-looking mare had a low count of small strongoyles, which was one of two positive results out of about 20 horses, a couple of whom were not looking that great at the time.

Worm loads are a function of the immune system, for the most part. Some worms aren't part of that equation - tapeworms and bots mostly. So no, it's not odd that some horses are more prone to issues

You can take a wide piece of tape, like the clear packing tape, and dab it around the anus and take a look. If there are pinworms, the eggs will have been deposited around there, causing the itching. FECs won't show pinworms because they aren't in the manure.

Regular use of ivermectin or moxidectin, just even twice a year, Spring and Fall, takes care of pinworms in the majority of cases. Sometimes you just might need an additional treatment, and Anthelcide at the 1.5x dose would be the preferred treatment so as not to use another -ectin

Pinworms won't be seen in a regular fecal - the vet will need to do a "scotch tape" test where they put scotch tape over the anus, pull it off and then look at it under the microscope.

I'm telling you this because you may not want to wash excessively under the tail just prior to the vet coming, or you might wash away the "evidence".

I notice you stated "mare" so in addition to worming for pin worms and dealing with irritated skin from rubbing check her udder to be sure there is not a wad between her teats.

Oxibendizole at the 1.5X dose (as deltwave already mentioned) has always been my preferred choice for new horses that come in with pins. But pins are never really a concern for the long term residence and routine worming for the usuals seem to control pins

Pinworm can and do show up in fecals. Just because the female needs to get the eggs deposited on the outside of the horses anus to complete a lifescycle does not mean she can always get there. Female adult pins are pretty much egg factories and yes some of the eggs are misplaced so to speak and deposited and pass in manure.

Yes, pinworm eggs can show up on a FEC, you're right, just like tapeworms, but not seeing them there isn't a reliable sign they aren't an issue. That's really where I was going, and did not get there all the way.

And on the flip side pin eggs in the fecal would proxy a pinworm infestion and is reliable. In some cases a horse can be so heavily infested with pins the pin egg count can be fairly large not at all uncommon.

Horse rubbing tail + pin eggs in fecal => deworm for pins

Equally a positive test just as the tape test.

A positive fecal is always a postive fecal....meaning eggs present equates to an adult sexually mature parasite load. An negative fecal means you found no eggs.

I agree. People just don't always know what eggs are not commonly found in the manure so think if they aren't there, they don't have them (ie tapeworms, encysted strongyles as common ones).

Eggs there are eggs there which means egg-shedding adults present.

Eggs not there does not necessarily mean there are no egg-shedding adults present, or that you don't have another problem.

Wow, way more complicated than I thought!

One of the many things we tried over the summer was keeping the mare's udder very clean without irritating it. Luckily she likes to be washed there! In any case, it didn't help.

The hard thing now is to sit on my hands waiting for the vet, rather than just going and using a different wormer on the horse tomorrow. I want a fecal sample that reflects her current condition, since she's been prone to worm infestation in the past, and don't want to erase the evidence by worming her!

What did you last deworm with and when? That will let you know how worthwhile a FEC in the next few days will be

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What did you last deworm with and when? That will let you know how worthwhile a FEC in the next few days will be
    Ivermectin, about 3 weeks ago now. But she started rubbing her tail again 10 days after she had it.

A FEC is probably going to be useless. Yes, you can do one and if you see pinworm eggs, voila. But not seeing them in a FEC isn't going to mean they aren't there. Don't forget the tape/anus test; don't forget about ticks on the tailbone, etc

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Ivermectin, about 3 weeks ago now. But she started rubbing her tail again 10 days after she had it.
    Aside from the tail rubbing has she had any itchy skin type issues?

Sweet itch, hives, poor coat quality, failure to shed/regrow hair...that sort of thing?