The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clippers -- large ones; need advice! Fast!!

Backstory -- I have 2 sets of good old-timey Osters that have worked, hard, for decades.
    Both sets have gotten persnickety - hard to 'start', have to thump them on my hand or on the wall to get to go 'on', and Lord help you if you turn off while clipping the horse - harder yet to get re-started.
    Anyway, I have my good clippers' repair guy work on them, get them going, fix the connections/wire/whatever it is.
    And they work fine for a few clippings, then go back to their old ways.
    I think about it every time - chi-ching, I could buy a new sets for what I'm spending on repairs, yadda yadda.
    So I go to clip a horse yesterday, and *neither* pair will start. At all.
    So I've got a call in to my guy (owner of the old Stable Door in Warrenton; talented dude) to take them in, but ....
    wondering if its ..... time.
    Talking to my chiro/vet just now and he suggested a brand he called Enders. I find Ender's online, but haven't yet studied it.
    Wonder if anyone has thoughts/dreams/reasoning/ideas/advice.
    I don't need 2 sets, though 2 is nice to have. Maybe I should have my guy fix the 2 as good as he can for back-ups, and still get some new ones. ??
    These have to be hardy and long-lived - I clip 10+ horses a month for 4-5 months a year. I'm not too bothered by the noise of the old Osters but chiro/vet said this Ender's clippers are wide-blades plus whisper quiet, both of which sound great.
    Carry on with any/all advice please.
    Thanks in advance!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I'm looking more online - wonder if chiro/vet was mistaking ANDIS for ENDER's.
    Andis has a wide-web looking one.
    Thoughts?
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I just clipped three horses with my Andis AGC 2-speed clippers yesterday, after doing three last week. They are my go-to for clipping. I used Oster Clipmasters for a few years and got tired of eating the hair blown in my face by the exhaust. They were heavy, loud, and not many horses tolerated them. I do keep them for the occasional super-hairy beast that hasn't been bathed in who-knows-how-long, but the AGC clippers are great for 95% of the horses I clip. They are pretty maneuverable for legs and faces too.

Just make sure if you go that route to get the wider T-84 blades (~2"), trying to clip with the standard width 10 blade (~1 1/4" wide) will take a while.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

WNT -- Thanks! Perfect info.
    How much $ will I spend and where to get??
    Is the T-84 that extra-wide-looking blade? (wider than the clippers, unlike the AU84 for Oster that's just ... normal-looking width)

This is what we use on the Wooly Welsh cob - clipped last year in Jan (B.I.G mistake - his coat is just too dense & could not finish the job in 1 day - everyone's patience ran out - & it was cold); clipped this year at end of Sept: much better experience for all involved, coat was not long/wooly but still dense enough to cause problems in a few places

With his coat, the T84 blade did not speed things up at all, just used the usual #10 blade this time - of course, as an experienced clipper, you may have a different experience with the wide blade

The shop I linked, the owner was fabulous to deal with

I have these: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...5&gas=clippers and love them. Bought them 8 plus years ago and they clip through a dirty horse as nicely as a clean horse, yak hair or slick hair, they buzz right through. For blade sharpening or replacement I use Premier Sheep Supply in Iowa-fast turn around and honest folks.

I don't think there is anything that works for like a pair of Oster Clipmasters. I replaced mine last year for $200 after my old pair bit the dust. All of the smaller cilppers I've tried just overheat after a while and can't seem to cut through really thick hair like the Ciipmasters.

I purchased Andis AGC super 2-speeds a few months ago, mine came with the wide blade (T84) and also came with a free pair of ear trimmers. This is my first pair of larger clippers and got them after reading a lot of "which clippers" posts. I've only got one horse to clip, but am looking forward to how lightweight they are. All my clipping in the past has been done with the Oster Clipmasters... which are big and heavy.

I too have to back the Lister Star Clippers - I own 2 and cannot speak highly enough about them. And I was a die hard oster fan before. Nothing beats the job they do, and their customer service/warranty folks are great as well.

I've got a brand new set in my tack room.

Want 'em?

I'll be up your way tomorrow.

ETA: They're Osters.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Andis clippers.

You're welcome to borrow the Osters if you like. I think there are two new sets of blades, too.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have the Double K clippers. Google for info but they are great! The motor hangs on the wall so not in your hands. A 12-20' cord lets you get around the horse easily. I've clipped a handful of horses and farm dogs every year for past 9 years with them.

Jswan - you'll sell them to me??

Sure. I don't want them.

Call or email me.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Just bought and clipped 3 horses with Lister Stars. I'm never going back to anything Oster or Andis again. My 11 year old clipped her own haflinger fuzzball in less than an hour. LIKE BUTTER. Can't recommend enough.
    At all times, we are either training or untraining.
    Flying Haflinger blog: http://flyinghaflinger.blogspot.com/ Flying Irish Draught blog: http://flyingirishredhead.blogspot.com/

I always swore I'd never use anything but my Andis 2-speeds. Even for my hairy minis! Then I got sick and my husband had to do the bodyclipping for awhile. He survived one round with those clippers and said "NEVER AGAIN." He "treated" me (himself) to a pair of Lister Star Clippers and the world is a better place. Really. They are WONDERFUL. Even the minis love them - their particular vibration puts every horse into a trance. Can clip in half the time. And they are the lightest of the heavy-weight clippers.

Lister Star clippers plus the cordless Wahl Chromado (for face and legs) = perfect clipping!
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

I too have a pair of Oster Clipmasters that have been used a whopping 3 times that I hate. Heavy, the exhaust makes me batty as I have pretty bad allergies, my thin skinned TBs hate them, they're noisy... I am going to go with the Lister Stars next time. For this year, I clipped with 2 pairs of Turbo A5's... doable, but not ideal!

If anyone is interested, PM me.

I replaced my old Oster Clipmasters with the Lister Star clippers and love them. Much lighter and did a great job. I also looked at the Double K and I think those would be great, too, but since I only clip once or twice a year, the Listers do fine for me. My big Clipmasters were ones that I got as a kid at a tack sale, when we didn't know they weren't really the ideal thing for clipping legs and bridle paths. So they sat for years until I started in h/j as an adult, and started body clipping. So they were probably 25 years old or more when I sold them on eBay for as much as I bought them for way back when! And probably still going strong for that person! I sure hope my Lister Stars last that long...

Quote Originally Posted by DiablosHalo View Post
    I have the Double K clippers. Google for info but they are great! The motor hangs on the wall so not in your hands. A 12-20' cord lets you get around the horse easily. I've clipped a handful of horses and farm dogs every year for past 9 years with them.
    This is what I have .....love them......had them for 13 years now and still going strong.....no vibration in your hand.....quiet motor.

Dalemma

I love my Andis AGC Super 2 speed clippers....for my Standard Poodles. For more than one horse, get something more heavy duty like the Lister Stars.

Has anyone tried the Andis Excel Clippers? Horse Journal thought highly of them. I'm just tired of my Osters and want something lighter weight.

I looked at the Double K's but I didn't like the tension from the cord.