The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bluebonnet Horse Expo - Austin, TX - Oct. 20

If anyone has time to come out, I think we're going to have a great event. Get someone to point me out and introduce yourself. Make me stand still for a few seconds and I'll be eternally grateful! (I spend most of the Expo run, run, running!)

2012 Bluebonnet Horse Expo – October 20 – Travis County Expo Center (Austin, TX)

The Bluebonnet Horse Expo is a day full of horses: learning, shopping, adopting and more! The 2012 Bluebonnet Horse Expo includes riding and training clinics with Austin Dressage Unlimited, Sue De Laurentis, Meredith Duggar, Aaron England, Jere Johnson Dan Keen, Jack Lieser, Lone Star Vaulters, Charlotte Morris, Lindsey Scofield, Kaylon Sullins, Dr. Mary Traverse, Anne Van Dyke, Joe Weitekamp, Dena Wilks, and Trey Young. The event offers plenty of shopping with a horse-themed Art Auction, tack sale, live auction of saddles and other equipment, and vendor area.

Attendees will get the chance to meet approximately 50-60 horses, donkeys and mules who are available for adoption through Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society. Twenty of those horses will be showing off their training and skills in the Bluebonnet Rescue Horse Training Challenge event that runs from 8am until 1:15pm. The Training Challenge is a competition in which professional trainers and foster homes have ninety days to work with a rescue horse. They then compete over an obstacle course and in a freestyle event. Prizes are awarded in four categories: Professional Trainer, Foster Horse Under Saddle, Foster Horse in Hand, and Youth. More Bluebonnet horses will strut their stuff in the main arena at 2:00pm for the Meet the Bluebonnet Horses Parade. Pre-approved adopters will qualify for adoption fee discounts and may take their new horses home from the Expo while new adopters will have the chance to apply to adopt and reserve the horse(s) they want to take home.

This year’s Bluebonnet Horse Expo will be held October 20th at the Travis County Expo Center. The Bluebonnet Rescue Horse Training Challenge Competition will be held in the outdoor arena and opens at 8am. The inside demonstrations start at 9am and the sale area and vendors area opens at the same time.

More information at http://www.bluebonnethorseexpo.com
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

This sounds awesome! Thanks so much for posting. I'm a recent transplant to Austin and I've had a hard time finding centralized horse-news that would list events like these. Also I am sans-car but it looks like I can get to the expo via a very long bus ride--thank goodness for books!

Sounds like a day full of fun for all.

Quote Originally Posted by theblondejumper View Post
    This sounds awesome! Thanks so much for posting. I'm a recent transplant to Austin and I've had a hard time finding centralized horse-news that would list events like these. Also I am sans-car but it looks like I can get to the expo via a very long bus ride--thank goodness for books!
    Glad i posted then!

For future events, the Horse Gazette posts shows and such. We've got the only horse-Expo event in the Austin area. You can also keep an eye on the Travis Co Expo Center's website for lists of shows out there.

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Looking forward to it!!

Right now, the weather prediction for next Sat. is a high of 77 with no rain chances - perfect weather.

I forgot to add earlier - if anyone has tack or horse equipment that you would be willing to donate, we have a used tack sale area at the Expo. I can probably get volunteers to pick stuff up if you are in Texas - and donations are tax deductible.