The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone used a Cinch Net along with a Bale Buddy?

There's a somewhat local lady who makes the nets for the big round bales. I'm considering getting one of those and then putting the whole shebang into the Bale Buddy bag. My guys are barefoot but they do wear blankets thru the winter (I don't know what the odds are of getting a buckle caught in the net- but whatever they are- they have to be multiplied by 100 for my horse lol). The Bale Buddy has helped with hay wastage but I still want more! Or rather, LESS! I know some people use the nets and then a cradle or a feeder, wondering if there's any input with the BB?
    Peeling the round is the way to go for zero waste but I so love the convenience of having hay out all the time, especially in the winter.

Western NY

I have thought about doing that too. If you had it inside the Bale Buddy, I don't think they would get their blanket buckles caught on the net. (But you know your horse!) You are trying to slow down their eating, right?

I'm really aiming for as little waste as possible of the hay. If it slows them down, great- neither of mine are skinny lol. I think being in the BB would prevent Dennis the Menace the Walking Horse from becoming attached to the net in any way. I can't think of any cons to this.........A round will last my two less than a week if it has no BaleBuddy/feeder/ will last them 13/14 days with a Bale Buddy and I'm betting with the net too I'd get a good almost extra week out of it. That'd be sweet.