The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Agression in Gelding...Ridgeling with no interest in mares?

Hi guys-
    I've got a very well bred gelding who exibits random bouts of what i would call "studly agression." It's not mean, really, but more of playful 'big man' attitude. He never pins his ears, but can be mouthy and pushy, and will occasionally strike out in your general direction, which is always met with a CTJ session.
    I'm very strict with him on the ground. I don't believe in using kid gloves with such large animals anyway, but he is watched especially closely. The hardest part is that this behavior is not consistent, and seems to come out of nowhere, but is worse when he is out in the open (for example, when he is out in his field and you go to catch him, he is more prone to the behavior- but it isnt always) and at horse shows. It's hard to be super consistend with correction and preparedness when he isn't always like this.
    He is awesome under tack- basically a machine and is a super show horse- but is a pain to jog, for obvious reasons.
    The horse has been scoped (clean) but treated for ulcers anyway with a month of GastroGuard, which seemed to help a little. he has had (many) full veterinary workups and chiro sessions, and is not in any pain at all. He is on 24-7 turnout on grass with 2 other geldings and they all get along well, eats quality grain and has free range access to quality hay, so there shouldn't be any physical reason for his outbursts on the ground.
    He's been this way for as long as I have had him and his previous owner warned me about the mouthiness, but neglected to disclose the pushy part, but I'm resonably confident that this has been the way he is for his entire life. He is 8.
    Another thread over in H/J got me sort of re-evaluating his behavior...I'm KIND of wondering if he may be a ridgeling? He is CONSTANTLY dropped when anyone is touching him or when you're leading him around. the only reason i haven't had him palpated or ultra-sounded for some 'left-overs' up there is that he has absolutely no interest in mares...like, NONE. he is turned out next to 3 hussies who when they are in season like to stand next to the gelding's fenceline and skank it up, and he could care less.....as a matter of fact he tends to avoid that area during those times
    Sorry for the novel, but I'm hoping someone has some thoughts...I just feel like I am missing something- he isn't a mean horse so there's got to be something going on!

anyone?

he's just pushy and has bad manners and needs some remedial training?
    stallions can be taught to behave politely even in the presence of mares in heat; why make excuses for your horse?

Sounds like he's just a horse that needs some manners.

You can pull blood for a hormone assay if you suspect he's a ridgeling. Without interest in mares I would not suspect he was retaining a testicle.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    he's just pushy and has bad manners and needs some remedial training?
    stallions can be taught to behave politely even in the presence of mares in heat; why make excuses for your horse?
    Wendy, there is a difference between making excuses and making sure you haven't ruled out any strange possibilities. Just like many horses misbehave under tack due to pain, saddle fit, ulcers, etc, it is completely possible that there is something physical or envirmonmental going on here that I have missed because "remedial training" doesn't seem to be doing too much; and I am no newbie when it comes to ground work and installing manners in to my horses.

As said, I am no light lunch when it comes to enforcing good behavior.....this one is just... different. The fact that it comes and goes so quickly and inconsistently just had me trying to think outside the box.

Simkie, thank you. I've never dealt with a ridgeling before, and would have assumed that interest in mares would be a tell-tale sign. Sounds like my assumption was correct. Hopefully continued ground work will make a difference. I think I will try depo as soon as i can to see if that helps with the dropping at all.