The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Boy and pony re-make Snowman photo

Proequest put a photo up of a boy and his pony attempting to duplicate a photo of Henry DeLeyer and Snowman. I found it quite incredible that that no one stopped to consider the safety problems with doing such a thing and with a small child none the less. Here is the link, although you may have to have a FB account to open it. It is a photo of the boy and his pony jumping a fence with another, smaller pony, underneath it. Am I overreacting here?

http://www.facebook.com/ProEquest
    Last edited by firelizardfarm; Oct. 9, 2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Miss information is sidetracking discussion
    Second place is first loser.

Not Steinkraus, but Harry DeLeyer, who I believe owned Snowman throughout his entire jumping career.

Would I set up this exercise in my ring? No.

Does it strike me as reckless or dangerous? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh, I dunno.

The pony jumping looks like a very good sort and a spectacular jumper, and the little boy on the pony is tight in the tack. Of course I guess there's some risk to the pony that's part of the jump, and he doesn't look particularly happy.

Is this more risky than jumping a jump without a live pony in it? Yeah, I guess. Less risky than jumping a solid fence at speed, either xc or foxhunting? Probably.

I guess I do have a twinge that the Mom thought this was a great idea and helped the kid set this up. Overall, it seems like something the barn kids would come up with when no one was supervising, rather than something a trainer and a mother would come up with.
    Last edited by McGurk; Oct. 21, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

What McGurk said.

I think the one with the biggest danger factor is the little pony inside the fence. The rider and the pony jumping look secure.
    And like McGurk said, so seems like something you would expect to see a bunch of kids at the barn doing when no one is paying attention.

This is Zacko Hardin. His mother is a very good professional and appears to be the one holding the small pony. Chances are she jumped the pony under operational conditions and took most of the chance out of this scenario.
    Here's to Kristin for keeping the fun in horses and riding and not being a helicopter mother.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by firelizardfarm View Post
    Proequest put a photo up of a boy and his pony attempting to duplicate a photo of William Steinkraus and Snowman.
    http://www.facebook.com/ProEquest

I am amazed that anyone could confuse Bill Steinkraus with Harry deLeyer, their riding styles are night and day.

And yes, I do think you are overreacting.

they're jumping the oxer backwards!
    haha, sorry, I think that bothers me the most.
    pony got a deep spot, but kid appears to be taking it alright.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Kid looks amazing, and good for mom deciding to help him with this. I agree the pony in the middle looks less than impressed tho. What a set of kneesies on that guy!

Is there a way for non-facebook users to see this photo?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

here is a direct link

As in the Snowman photo, the participant at the most risk is the person holding the animal being jumped... as they may spook that horse and be run over (or in the case of the little pony) have toe stepped on...

It doesn't bother me that it's a kid riding. If we didn't do silly things when were were kids, most of us stodgy old adults would like that make it through life never having done anything interesting.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

I suppose all is well that ends well and agree that the pony is a great little jumper and the kid can ride. I can just see the potential for this to go horribly wrong. If the pony on the bottom spooked and scared the pony jumping it could certainly end in a terrible fall of pony and rider or if the pony jumping wasn't sure about jumping another horse and stopped halfway up the pony on the bottom could be injured.

I don't agree with the posts on FB that said its child abuse. However its Mom's job to say no to ill advised ideas such as this.

It is nice that the child knows about William Steinkraus and Snowman.
    Second place is first loser.

There is potential for things to go horribly wrong in just about everything we do with horses.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by supaflyskye View Post
    here is a direct link
    Thanks a bunch!
    ~Veronica

It is NOT Bill Steinkraus, its Harry deLeyer.

True - Steinkraus is a beautiful stylist, and de Leyer rode with the old exaggerated calvary seat with pinched knees and pivoting lower leg. de Leyer is also a "git 'er done!" kind of rider.

I reacted to that more from the standpoint that Steinkraus was a old school amateur, a bit of an American aristocrat, a Yalie and a businessman who rode as a "hobby" and de Leyer was a hardscrabble professional, who fed his family with the proceeds from his riding school.

Steinkraus didn't need to buy school horses or jumper prospects from the killer truck for $80., de Leyer did.

Back to the photo - I've seen several other photos like this, and I want to say that it was an old calvary exercise. My dim middle aged brain seems to remember another photo, in Margaret Cabell Self's Horseman's Encyclopedia, with TWO horses in the fence. Does anyone else remember that?

Though I'm not about to endorse this as good practice, I think if we're brutally honest, we see more dangerous things on a regular basis at horse shows and our local riding school. The average low jumper class, with kids and ammys "turning and burning" and jumping from downtown, for instance. Or the stadium rounds at the local unrecognized horse trial. I could go on, but I won't.
    Last edited by McGurk; Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: corrected name of book

Harry DeLeyer?!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    Back to the photo - I've seen several other photos like this, and I want to say that it was an old calvary exercise. My dim middle aged brain seems to remember another photo, in Margaret Cabell Self's Horseman's Encyclopedia, with TWO horses in the fence. Does anyone else remember that?
    I think you are right, I still have that book at home, and will try and remember to check tonight.

Personally, I love the picture. You go, kid.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I think its a great photo. I went fox hunting last year and gaped at all the little kids on the ponies popping over massive coops. At least here the rails will fall and the mini has a chance of getting out of the way.

Wow! That's amazing! Awesome kid! Super pony!!!! That kid is glued on that pony!

yea it's a little dangerous, but so is driving a car. I have been in more car accidents than horse accidents...I wish I could stop driving, and ride more. :-P