The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Can you get a big, slightly cranky male friend (or preferably two) to drop by, say they need a hunting dog, and their dog fits the bill? Because AC can't or won't act, then this is the only way unless she escapes and you grab her and rehome. Maybe the dog will escape when the family goes away the next time? And turn the video cameras off that weekend.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

sounds as though the dog had better get out of the house, sooner,rather than later..........the jerk is liable to kill her just for spite............and you cannot keep her, even if you pay for her, because that sort of abusive jerk wuold just as soon thow poison over the fence to her......
    i had a nasty old man neighbor whose poor old dog eacaped several times and came and hid in my barn........not knowing the situation, i fed her, called the vet with the rabies tag number, and the owner was notified...........he was really mad at the dog and me, because NOW i fed her and he was SURE it would cause her to run away again........sure enough,the dogcame back to me again, but owner got wise and showed up for her.....a couple days later i was taking a walk with my dd, and heard yelping.......asshat was beating the dog with the metal nozzle end of a hose because she was barking the night before........i ran up and grabbed the hose and told him i'd beat HIM with the hose if he continued.....luckily, as with most bullies, when confronted,he tucked tail and sulked away.............i called my vet, and mysteriously, the dog vanished that night............he got another dog, i called my vet, and that dog vanished as well..........the old bastard gave up dog ownership after that, but i'd still like to give him a good whack with the business end of a hose.........

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Can you get a big, slightly cranky male friend (or preferably two) to drop by, say they need a hunting dog, and their dog fits the bill? Because AC can't or won't act, then this is the only way unless she escapes and you grab her and rehome. Maybe the dog will escape when the family goes away the next time? And turn the video cameras off that weekend.
    AC said they don't respond to abuse cases, but the POLICE do. I'd call them first.

If the dog frequently runs away or visits your yard, that's the best opportunity you'll have to save it. It seems to take A LOT of abuse, suffering or starving to get AC involved to the point of taking possession of an animal.

Turning to a shelter is iffy...Many shelter dogs' days are numbered. I would find a breed rescue and turn to them. Even if you don't know what her breeding is, you can go off what you think she is and start there. Breed rescues are the best chance a dog has to be placed in an appropriate home, and they will not euth a healthy, friendly dog just because they've been been in foster care "too long". With a breed specific rescue, you might actually be able to share this dog's story. They have a soft spot for their breeds and will probably hear you out and agree that you did the best thing you could in this situation, even if that means you "stole it" in order to save it.
    You can mention that you've witnessed her being starved & abused, and one day you found her roaming the neighborhood like a stray dog, and couldn't bear to bring her back. You certainly wouldn't be lying. Lets just hope she's not microchipped. If she is, that will make matters complicated and risky for the rescue if the owners found out where she is, she was chipped and the rescue didn't find the owners first before advertising for adoption.

You could always try contacting PETA.

Good luck in this tough situation.

Dog nap the dog when you know they aren't home, tell them or better yet have someone else tell them the dog was hit and picked up by the person who hit it and you never saw a thing. Rehome the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I would call the police now and tell them you heard sounds of a disturbance that included a child yelling. Let them investigate. I wouldn't be surprised if the kids were getting it as bad or worse than the dog. Been there, done that.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Definitely call police, and I would also call child protective services. The link between animal abuse and child abuse / domestic abuse is very well established; and animal control officers and social workers usually work together quite a bit. I would recommend that you emphasize that in addition to being concerned about the neighbor's dog and children, you are afraid for your own safety and the safety of your children / family based on the violence that you have witnessed and that you are terrified of the neighbor retaliating if he suspects that you reported him. I would also try to ascertain whether this neighbor has any criminal record, but even if he doesn't; he surely sounds violent and unstable. If the police want you to make a statement, ask to make the statement away from your house as it is going to draw the neighbor's attention if the police hang out at your house for a while and then show up at the neighbor's house.

You also have to assume that the neighbor will suspect you of alerting authorities based on previous interactions that you have had; but I do not think that you should tell anyone that you reported them and you need to just act shocked and surprised if it comes up.

I am not trying to scare the beejeezus out of you, but security cameras do not deter violent crazies -- they can deter burglars who just want to steal stuff w/o getting caught & they can come in handy after the fact in helping solve a violent crime, but that can be a little late for the victim. Hopefully you have an alarm system that is monitored as that is slightly more useful.

Additionally, you need to understand that while most of us here think that this guy should be rotting jail forever; prosecution for animal abuse -- or child abuse for that matter is oftentimes a sad joke. So, you've got a scary violent neighbor, who, even if he was arrested, would most likely be right back home very quickly and most likely will be a lot more agitated after having been arrested.

Because your neighbor has a hunting dog; he might be a hunter; and regardless; he may well have firearms &/or other weapons. You need to factor that into the equation. Firearms are a controversial topic, and my belief is that nobody has any business with a firearm unless they have had not only gun safety training but also experience using the gun (gun range). And, nobody should even think about a firearm for self protection unless you are mentally and emotionally prepared to kill another human being dead -- guns are not for pulling out to warn people. MOST IMPORTANTLY -- firearms need to be kept SAFELY in gun safes &/or with trigger locks -- most especially when you have kids and even when you don't, because you could end up arming the guys who break into you house.

Finally, and also quite important, you need to understand your legal rights to protect yourself and your property. The laws regarding deadly force vary from state to state. Some states follow "Castle Doctrine" ; but the law varies greatly even between Castle Doctrine states. You also need to understand other laws re: firearms - how to transport them in a car, etc.

So, you have some things to think about.

IF you think they would sell you the dog, and you are in a position to provide a home for her; that would probably be the best solution for you -- doesn't help the domestic situation there, but it doesn't set you up for retaliation either. IF you get the dog, then I would recommend you reinforce your fence with either invisible fencing or a strand of hot wire across the bottom -- and possibly top -- of the fence. Actually, given your neighbor, I'd definitely put up hot wire unless it's illegal in your area. If the dog is not spayed and has been wandering, pregnancy is a possibility to also consider. Even with reinforced fencing, I would not leave her outside unattended.

If you don't think the neighbor would sell her &/or you are not in a position to provide a home for her; then you might at some point in the future come upon a dog that is strikingly similar to your neighbor's dog and take it upon yourself to drive to the farthest away no kill shelter that you can drive to. However, if the dog is microchipped; she may end up right back home. If you should innocently relocate a dog exactly like your neighbor's; then you need to take a vow of silence and not breathe a word about it to anyone -- not to your kids, not to your best friend, not to your priest, not to nobody never -- and that includes not to CotH.

In the future and for future readers; go ahead and contact animal control at the first sign of a problem -- unless it's your best friend's dog and you really know the dog well and are 100% confident that can catch it safely and take it home with you and keep it until friend picks it up. It's much better to report each incidence and provide an official record of the dog "always being loose" etc. That way, if it escalates into something like this, God forbid, there is a track record of multiple problems. As a responsible owner of very large dogs; I would much rather have animal control pick them up right away and pay a fine than have them loose and risk them getting hurt or scaring someone and getting shot or getting in a dog fight. Whenever we move, I touch base w/ all neighbors, animal control, police, and fire to let them know that I have giant dogs, provide pictures, and make sure that they have all of our contact numbers as well as vet's number plus dogs are chipped -- that way, they aren't unknown giant monster dogs causing a panic; but I also don't want well intentioned neighbors trying to corner and catch my giant fearful dog either. My point is that I think sometimes people hesitate to call on loose dogs, because they don't want to cause problems for a neighbor; but a responsible dog owner shouldn't have a problem with it, imo.
    All very valid points, and very well said, ldaziens.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    What would I do? I would call Animal Control, and I would make mention of the abuse of the dog and lack of care (and that there are children in the home.) If the dog is running at large several times and screaming, underweight, etc. chances are your neighbors have noticed as well. Our AC didn't do jack-crap when a dog took a chunk out of my hand with the neighbor standing there watching.

I would walk over to my neighbor's house, and I would say, "she sure is a pretty girl. I know you said you 'got stuck' taking care of her, and I've noticed she has A LOT of energy and likes to run. You know I have a great friend that is looking for a Hunting Dog-type running partner. If you guys are interested, I would be happy to take your dog or buy her from you."

If they aren't feeding her, if they're letting her run loose, if they're throttling her and slamming her into the house and into a kennel, chances are they wouldn't mind someone paying $$$$ to take on their "problem."
    Also agree with this. However, in response to the rhetorical question of, "what would I do?"... I would call mildot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Honda View Post
    Now that I'm a little more sane, I called AC again. I left a message. Again. I'm not going to let this rest.
    GOOD. I'm across the country from you, but if there's anything I can do from the East coast... well, just say the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

1 members found this post helpful.

You people are the best!

Yesterday after the police visited, the dog was in the yard with the kids. I could see her through the fence trotting around.

She's a hunting dog. Short hair, long tail and ears. mostly white with brown circular spots.

Almost looks like a German shorthair face with a longer nose on a weimereiner (sp ) body. Long skinny tail.

The odd thing is, it seems as if their kids are the best cared for. Mom is stay at home, the two boys are well loved. We've been here two years and haven't witnessed anything bad with the boys. I find the odd toy in our yard and I usually Huck it back over the fence to them.

I'm going to let the dust settle and make an offer for the dog.

I just hate not knowing what could happen next...
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

She sounds like an English Pointer, actually. They are common "bird dogs" here in our area.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

If they won't give you the dog: first get some video evidence of abuse. Then find a friend (a very good friend who can keep them mouth shut) to file the complaint. Someone already associated with a Humane Society would be great.

I had to find someone to report my neighbor's lack of care for his horses. A/C came out, he wasn't fined or written up, but magically hay appeared in the field the next day. I count the complaint as successful, at least they're no longer starving.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

God, I HOPE you can get this dog. I'll be praying.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Some people should not have animals. And should be castrated without benefit of anesthesia, then shot and then drawn and quartered.

Now me, I love dogs but I would not have one at home. I am not the right kind of person for a dog, I am a cat and horse person. But this is SICK.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

One time the family took off for a few days in the heat of summer, the dog was in their back yard. No shelter. No water. NO food. Nothing for 3 days. We counted. Their excuse was that the neighbor kids were supposed to take care of her. We fed her and watered her..... The 'man' (term used very loosely) came out of the back door with the dog by the throat and she was screaming. He threw her into the side of the house, and I could hear some sort of impact against flesh. I've never heard a dog scream like that before... It broke me.
    I had neighbors like that when I was a kid. They got a puppy, a lab mix, and the father's idea of training it was to lie in wait for the half-grown dog to jump up at the kid (because, you know, it was a young dog jumping around wildly), then beat the dog for being aggressive. The dog survived to adulthood largely because of another neighbor who snuck him water all summer - the dog got left in a shadeless back yard with a bowl of water. Yeah, can you guess that a young dog spilled the bowl by 10am every morning? Dog evolved into a total POS that attacked anyone who passed its house - because of course after that first summer they never leashed it.

The odd thing is, it seems as if their kids are the best cared for. Mom is stay at home, the two boys are well loved. We've been here two years and haven't witnessed anything bad with the boys. I find the odd toy in our yard and I usually Huck it back over the fence to them.
    I don't find that surprising at all. I think a lot of lunatic families actually aren't particularly abusive - to each other. It's everyone else in the world who has to worry about them. You can argue the kids are innocent and suffer emotional abuse from being around Rabid Daddy, but I strongly suspect a lot of the spouses are with their soulmate.

I just rescued a dog that was beaten by his owner, a minister. Yes.
    Luckily,he had complained to the neighbors about her and they jumped in and said, do you want us to find it a home? I met them at a Habitat store, and of course immediately went to get the dog. He got a great home and I can't believe how good his attitude is.
    I hope you can get that poor thing away from them. It is terrible that the children love her and it is a completely unsuitable, unsafe home for her.
    People suck.

Poor dog. I agree that a mysterious vanashing act and rehoming would be best. Bird dogs do not get adopted very much so find someone who will take her first (didn't somebody above offer?). Make sure it is far away, hopefully counties or even a state away!

Don't call PETA, the poor dog will be dead before it leaves the driveway!!

If they get a new dog make sure it vanishes as soon as it gets out the first time.

You won't have to worry about retaliation if the dogs keep "running away".
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    She sounds like an English Pointer, actually. They are common "bird dogs" here in our area.
    I'm thinking Pointer as well. Our friends have one, and while he is the sweetest dog on earth, and very sensitive, he's not terribly bright. Clearly the dad in this family (in addition to being an abusive POS) has a short temper, so a dog that doesn't respond quickly or is over-sensitive would be a very poor fit. Not that these people should have ANY pets at all! It's never good when the mom of the family doesn't want the pet, because we often wind up doing the brunt of the care.

I am so sorry you are witnessing this situation. I can't imagine my horror if I saw our neighbors beating their dog like this - but I can tell you my husband would go full-on redneck and probably wind up in jail. I hope these people are willing to sell you the dog. Otherwise, I like the "I found this stray" plan others have suggested...

What would I do? If you had video of that, I'd walk over there and tell them this is going down one of two ways: 1) I'll buy the dog from you for 50 bucks because you don't want her anyway, or 2) I take this video of you beating the dog to the police and any news station within 25 miles of here. So, which is it?

But I've been told I can be *slightly* confrontational.

And sometimes people forget to latch fences, and sometimes, dogs just happen to get out when that happens.
    Last edited by ndirish07; Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Add

Any updates? This thread has bothered me all week.

Found this thread by chance... any news? Fingers crossed for a happy-puppy outcome.

OMG...there are no words. I hope there is some good news??
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Doggie needs to go into the "Doggie Witness Protection Program". Next time you see her running down the road just put her in the car and keep driving. My suggestion is completely illegal and possibly unethical but I have done it (and I am a laywer and have worked in "law enforcement" ) and I would do it again if I had to.

If you know someone who is prepared to take her just give her to them, if not, if she has no identifying tatoo take her to the farthest no kill shelter ort rescue and say you just found her.

She needs a new life and I would have no qualms about giving it to her and not even involving AC.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

2 members found this post helpful.