The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Dog Abuse, Severe. People make me sick.

I'm just sick. Sick. And beyond angry. I'm livid and I want to punch someone right now...

Our neighbors got their boys a dog earlier in the year. She's a type of hunting dog that is mostly white, and has brown spots. She's beautiful. She's lovely and sweet.

She's also deathly afraid of you when you just reach your hand slowly down to pet her. She cowers and pisses and her tail is so far between her legs you can hardly tell she has one...

The dog digs out of the yard on a regular basis to get away. I've seen her running wide open throttle down the road and almost get hit. I walked over to the neighbors house when I got home and told her I saw her. Neighbor was in a towel when she answered the door, and WOULDN'T EFFING STOP TAKING HER PRECIOUS BATH TO GO GET HER EFFING DOG!!!!! Her words were "Oh, it likes to take off, I can't stand it. The boys picked it out and I got stuck taking care of it." I just stood there staring at her. She got uncomfortable and I curtly said I had to go before I ripped her towel off and beat her with it. I didn't tell her that part, but I kept it to myself. People are self righteous bastards and it wouldn't help the dogs case.

I've witnessed them beating the poor girl many times. I never ever hear them praise her or love her. I know this because our back yards are facing each other and our outdoor living area is raised and we can see into their yard.

We love on the dog. We pet her. WE FEED HER. She's a damn rail. She always wants to come over to us because we are kind to her.

One time the family took off for a few days in the heat of summer, the dog was in their back yard. No shelter. No water. NO food. Nothing for 3 days. We counted. Their excuse was that the neighbor kids were supposed to take care of her. We fed her and watered her.

Tonight takes the cake.

I'm so angry I'm sick.

The 'man' (term used very loosely) came out of the back door with the dog by the throat and she was screaming. He threw her into the side of the house, and I could hear some sort of impact against flesh. I've never heard a dog scream like that before... It broke me. He shoved her into the kennel and I heard his son yelling at his dad for what he did.

I'm glad my animal loving little girls weren't home. I thought Mr. Honda was going to turn his golf club on him. We kept quiet, (they are the type to retaliate, but we have video surveillance for our home) and we called Animal Control.

I was in tears, and left them a voice message. I told them this is an escalating situation and left my number.

Nobody has called me back. I don't even know what to do next. I think she's still outside in her kennel.

What can we do that's legal? I know going about things the wrong way won't help our case, but I'm also worried sick for the poor girl.

She's sweet as can be. I would offer to take her, but I'm sure they won't give her away. Those little boys love her but they aren't learning how to take care of an animal and are learning what they are living.

These people are hard and selfish. I hate them.

I'm scared for the dog, and my heart is so broken right now. I'm afraid for her life.

Please tell me what steps I can take to help her. I've already called AC and nothing has come back yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

I don't know that there is anything to say other than that I am so sorry that you are going through this. That is horrible. How horrible for the dog and that their two children are watching this terrible treatment of this dog. I can only imagine how they are treated. I hope you reach some closure on this terrible situation.

If they don't have video on their backyard try to go get the dog or next time she's out just pick her up. Do you have a good friend who would take her immediately if you pick her up? Then try to re-home her asap.
    Sorry, not normally into dog-napping but sometimes it's the only way.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I would call the police now and tell them you heard sounds of a disturbance that included a child yelling. Let them investigate. I wouldn't be surprised if the kids were getting it as bad or worse than the dog. Been there, done that.

3 members found this post helpful.

Angry

Buy her. I'll contribute some. Can you foster her or do you know anyone who can? Obviously she'll need rehab. Hopefully not huge vet bills. As you leave with her, inform them that if they ever get another animal and the criminal abuse begins again, that you will report it TO THE POLICE. Without a doubt, the man is physically abusing everyone else in that household as well. Seriously, buy her. Just say you've developed a bond. Don't mention the abuse until the transaction is complete and you have her. He will kill her otherwise.

Maybe the power of COTH can help get her out of that situation.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this horror.

I agree that dog napping may be warranted but only if you can do it without being found out.

Are your local police sympathetic or are they the type to wash their hands of this kind of situation? I think Laurierace is right in suggesting the police.
    This kind of situation needs people to shout loudly to whatever authority will listen.
    Most police officers do care and the violence you describe is disturbing enough that they should be notified. The kids are in danger and most law enforcement professionals are familiar with the animal/child abuse correlation. Hugs to you.

animal control is not often on duty for the evening and night hours.

Call your local police department and tell them that you want to report an case of severe animal abuse and that you have video documenting it.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

The next time the poor thing comes into your yard or better yet you see her on the street, put her in your car and drive at least two counties away to put her in a shelter. Explain she is a stray you picked up a mile away from the shelter on the road. God will understand your lies and not hold them against you.

Then you move heaven and earth to find a friend to claim her when her hold time is up. Should it be a kill shelter, well... death is certainly kinder than prolonged abuse.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Definitely call police, and I would also call child protective services. The link between animal abuse and child abuse / domestic abuse is very well established; and animal control officers and social workers usually work together quite a bit. I would recommend that you emphasize that in addition to being concerned about the neighbor's dog and children, you are afraid for your own safety and the safety of your children / family based on the violence that you have witnessed and that you are terrified of the neighbor retaliating if he suspects that you reported him. I would also try to ascertain whether this neighbor has any criminal record, but even if he doesn't; he surely sounds violent and unstable. If the police want you to make a statement, ask to make the statement away from your house as it is going to draw the neighbor's attention if the police hang out at your house for a while and then show up at the neighbor's house.

You also have to assume that the neighbor will suspect you of alerting authorities based on previous interactions that you have had; but I do not think that you should tell anyone that you reported them and you need to just act shocked and surprised if it comes up.

I am not trying to scare the beejeezus out of you, but security cameras do not deter violent crazies -- they can deter burglars who just want to steal stuff w/o getting caught & they can come in handy after the fact in helping solve a violent crime, but that can be a little late for the victim. Hopefully you have an alarm system that is monitored as that is slightly more useful.

Additionally, you need to understand that while most of us here think that this guy should be rotting jail forever; prosecution for animal abuse -- or child abuse for that matter is oftentimes a sad joke. So, you've got a scary violent neighbor, who, even if he was arrested, would most likely be right back home very quickly and most likely will be a lot more agitated after having been arrested.

Because your neighbor has a hunting dog; he might be a hunter; and regardless; he may well have firearms &/or other weapons. You need to factor that into the equation. Firearms are a controversial topic, and my belief is that nobody has any business with a firearm unless they have had not only gun safety training but also experience using the gun (gun range). And, nobody should even think about a firearm for self protection unless you are mentally and emotionally prepared to kill another human being dead -- guns are not for pulling out to warn people. MOST IMPORTANTLY -- firearms need to be kept SAFELY in gun safes &/or with trigger locks -- most especially when you have kids and even when you don't, because you could end up arming the guys who break into you house.

Finally, and also quite important, you need to understand your legal rights to protect yourself and your property. The laws regarding deadly force vary from state to state. Some states follow "Castle Doctrine" ; but the law varies greatly even between Castle Doctrine states. You also need to understand other laws re: firearms - how to transport them in a car, etc.

So, you have some things to think about.

IF you think they would sell you the dog, and you are in a position to provide a home for her; that would probably be the best solution for you -- doesn't help the domestic situation there, but it doesn't set you up for retaliation either. IF you get the dog, then I would recommend you reinforce your fence with either invisible fencing or a strand of hot wire across the bottom -- and possibly top -- of the fence. Actually, given your neighbor, I'd definitely put up hot wire unless it's illegal in your area. If the dog is not spayed and has been wandering, pregnancy is a possibility to also consider. Even with reinforced fencing, I would not leave her outside unattended.

If you don't think the neighbor would sell her &/or you are not in a position to provide a home for her; then you might at some point in the future come upon a dog that is strikingly similar to your neighbor's dog and take it upon yourself to drive to the farthest away no kill shelter that you can drive to. However, if the dog is microchipped; she may end up right back home. If you should innocently relocate a dog exactly like your neighbor's; then you need to take a vow of silence and not breathe a word about it to anyone -- not to your kids, not to your best friend, not to your priest, not to nobody never -- and that includes not to CotH.

In the future and for future readers; go ahead and contact animal control at the first sign of a problem -- unless it's your best friend's dog and you really know the dog well and are 100% confident that can catch it safely and take it home with you and keep it until friend picks it up. It's much better to report each incidence and provide an official record of the dog "always being loose" etc. That way, if it escalates into something like this, God forbid, there is a track record of multiple problems. As a responsible owner of very large dogs; I would much rather have animal control pick them up right away and pay a fine than have them loose and risk them getting hurt or scaring someone and getting shot or getting in a dog fight. Whenever we move, I touch base w/ all neighbors, animal control, police, and fire to let them know that I have giant dogs, provide pictures, and make sure that they have all of our contact numbers as well as vet's number plus dogs are chipped -- that way, they aren't unknown giant monster dogs causing a panic; but I also don't want well intentioned neighbors trying to corner and catch my giant fearful dog either. My point is that I think sometimes people hesitate to call on loose dogs, because they don't want to cause problems for a neighbor; but a responsible dog owner shouldn't have a problem with it, imo.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Does the dog wear a collar when it runs around?

Unfortunatly I don't think that if you dog-nap the dog, that you can keep her. They are bound to notice her eventually. I also would be careful about which shelter you put her in. Many advertise their animals on Petfinder and it wouldn't be hard for your neighbor to put two and two together.

I would find somebody who is willing to take her on the down-low, who lives very far away. That person would preferrably be named Superminion and live in VT. No chance of nasty neighbors ever finding her. My guess is that they won't miss her too much!

I also agree with calling the police/child services if this a-hole is yelling and screaming and beating dogs. I would just be very very careful in how you go about it, since you've already interacted with them. Tell the police every single one of your concerns, even if you think that they are petty.

Next time she is out in the backyard loose, break a hole in your ajoining fence so she comes into your backyard. Then either take her to a shelter a few counties over or to a friend.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I know it sounds ridiculous, but AC is more likely to have acted if you'd called back when they left the dog for days without water- they aren't going to come out because the man "disciplined" his dog. People get away with all sorts of horrible abuse on the grounds that it's "training", but there's no excuse for leaving a dog without water.

Picking a stray up out of the road (next time she gets out) is a socially responsible laudable act- taking a dog out of a backyard is theft. After rescuing a stray from the roadway, what you do next is up to you.

1 members found this post helpful.

What would I do? I would call Animal Control, and I would make mention of the abuse of the dog and lack of care (and that there are children in the home.) If the dog is running at large several times and screaming, underweight, etc. chances are your neighbors have noticed as well. Our AC didn't do jack-crap when a dog took a chunk out of my hand with the neighbor standing there watching.

I would walk over to my neighbor's house, and I would say, "she sure is a pretty girl. I know you said you 'got stuck' taking care of her, and I've noticed she has A LOT of energy and likes to run. You know I have a great friend that is looking for a Hunting Dog-type running partner. If you guys are interested, I would be happy to take your dog or buy her from you."

If they aren't feeding her, if they're letting her run loose, if they're throttling her and slamming her into the house and into a kennel, chances are they wouldn't mind someone paying $$$$ to take on their "problem."
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Now that I'm a little more sane, I called AC again. I left a message. Again. I'm not going to let this rest.

The neighbors have had the police called on them at least once for the dog.

I worry about if we take her on that we are so close to our neighbors. We share a backyard fence.

I could care less about them retaliating against us. I can hold my own and we have security cameras everywhere.

I will make that dog safe. I want to do it with the law on my side though. My next step is to call police and make a report and maybe Mr. Honda and I seeing if we can take her.
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Good for you. Please keep us posted.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

^ Agree. She has a spot on our bed if need be.

You are awesome! But I'd ask if he'd like to be rid of her to you BEFORE involving the police. Bringing the authorities to bear on a psycopath may result in the poor dog getting shot right in front of you and him claiming she was aggressive. I've had friends who've purchased dogs out of abuse situations and that's gone well. If you do get her out of there, and then you piss him off, he's certainly also capable of throwing rat poisoned meat over the fence to her as well. No need to tell you to tread very carefully.

Update: AC called and told me to call the police station as AC isn't armed and therefore not allowed to take abuse calls.

I called the police, left a VERY detailed message and full description of what happened and the house details.

Policeman paid a visit.

That is all. Unfortunately.

Have you called Oregon Humane Society?