The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'll be the contrarian. I like a bushy fake tail. Maybe it's because I have really thin hair and always wanted to look like Farrah Fawcett.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Meh, I like my horse's big bushy tail too. I think it's because I had a pony with the wispiest ugliest tail and was always envious of the pony hunters and their big nice tails.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    Meh, I like my horse's big bushy tail too. I think it's because I had a pony with the wispiest ugliest tail and was always envious of the pony hunters and their big nice tails.
    Feh. It's a horse,not a squirrel.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Feh. It's a horse,not a squirrel.
    Well if this is the squirrel-look, it's been working for me so far. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...75315038_n.jpg

Just.say.no!

Another one who hates them. I've yet to encounter one in person where I couldn't spot instantly it was fake. Hunters are supposed to be judged on way of going, not on how thick their tail is. (And yes, I realize almost nothing in show hunters has anything to do with real hunting any more, but big bushy tails would be a detriment to a field hunter, not an asset.)

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    I'll be the contrarian. I like a bushy fake tail. Maybe it's because I have really thin hair and always wanted to look like Farrah Fawcett.
    I am generally very traditional and anti flash/bling. But I was also a breed show person for a formative time. I love a good thick tail, fake or otherwise. I do prefer them tapered at top and less full than the breed show peeps... but I LOVE the way my horse looks in his fake.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have rarely seen a horse whose natural tail wasn't right FOR HIM/HER. I am not talking about a chewed/abused tail, but a horse's natural tail that has been well cared for usually is the right size for that horse. I have seen TOO MANY young/slim/narrow/small horses with tails many times too much for them. And they look RIDICULOUS. If you are going to use a fake to add a little bulk to your horse's own tail, then do it JUDICIOUSLY! Tails come in many sizes, and the biggest, fattest, 3# tail is rarely the right choice. You are only trying to amend a horse's natural tail, not create a brand new one!

And I still think it makes grooms not care about preserving the natural tail.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I have rarely seen a horse whose natural tail wasn't right FOR HIM/HER. I am not talking about a chewed/abused tail, but a horse's natural tail that has been well cared for usually is the right size for that horse. I have seen TOO MANY young/slim/narrow/small horses with tails many times too much for them. And they look RIDICULOUS. If you are going to use a fake to add a little bulk to your horse's own tail, then do it JUDICIOUSLY! Tails come in many sizes, and the biggest, fattest, 3# tail is rarely the right choice. You are only trying to amend a horse's natural tail, not create a brand new one!

And I still think it makes grooms not care about preserving the natural tail.
    If your horse has a good tail, you don't really need one. If your horse has a thin tail, you're probably going to use too big of a fake and I hate that. If your horse has lost his tail for some reason (so it stops suddenly) a fake tail can work. JMO.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

I'm not a huge fake tail fan either. Ever since I was a kid and someone pointed out the difference in the way the natural tail and a fake tail moves that is all I can see and it just messes with the whole natural look...sure they can work on looks for a few horses but my big complaint is in movement!

Op, your horse has a beautiful tail. Keep it as is
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Op I think your horse's tail looks great as is :-)

what bothers me about fake tails is that i know a horse's tail is going to look thinner once it's braided. For a horse (especially a lighter boned, typey horse) to have the loose part of his braided tail look thicker than a draft horse's tail, it is distracting to me.
    Plus, the very end of the tail isn't usually the thickest part,right? At least with my guy his tail has wispy ends for the last few inches. It's thickest about five inches from the end. I know hunters don't bang their tails, but even with dressage horses with huuuge poofy tails right at the bottom it looks off. I don't think a natural tail looks like the horse version of bellbottom jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Op I think your horse's tail looks great as is :-)

what bothers me about fake tails is that i know a horse's tail is going to look thinner once it's braided. For a horse (especially a lighter boned, typey horse) to have the loose part of his braided tail look thicker than a draft horse's tail, it is distracting to me.
    Plus, the very end of the tail isn't usually the thickest part,right? At least with my guy his tail has wispy ends for the last few inches. It's thickest about five inches from the end. I know hunters don't bang their tails, but even with dressage horses with huuuge poofy tails right at the bottom it looks off. I don't think a natural tail looks like the horse version of bellbottom jeans.
    My fake tail is tapered on the top and bottom, it's not blunt and it does wisp out at the bottom like a real tail would. It's also "natural black" so has some sunbleached looking hairs mixed in so the color doesn't look uniform. I don't love the heavy weighted solid color blunt looking tails like you see in AQHA as much. I like some added fullness but more natural looking.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I don't love the heavy weighted solid color blunt looking tails like you see in AQHA as much.
    I wish that look stayed at the breed shows! Unfortunately, it's prevalent in the hunter ring.

Goodlife, that is a beautiful picture. Your horse is lovely. I don't think my opinion would change if the tail was natural, though. He (or she) would be just as lovely to me.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I HATE HATE HATE THOSE HORRIBLE QH TAILS
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

OP, I am not opposed to a little "tail enhancement" when needed- I am working with a greenie right now who will probably need one down the road. Your horse is lovely, although the photos are great views of his tail, but it looks to be fine from the first pic. I am in the braid it and see what it looks like camp. But I think you will be fine.
    Me: In a long-winded explanation of who GM is and why he is Important to the Sport
    Mr EmJ: So what you're saying is GM is so Important he could get Chik-Fil-A on Sunday?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ponybreeder View Post
    I personally really dislike most fake tails. No horse has a natural tail that is thick like the fake tails all the way to the bottom. When the horses trot with those big tails, they get caught in their hocks and look ridiculous. I can understand adding a tapered fake tail to a really wispy tail, but the big thick heavy ones that everyone seems to use are so unnatural looking. Someone commented that they "balance" a horse. IMO they do exactly the opposite. There is nothing natural or attractive about them and I can't imagine how this fad started.

Thank you. I have wanted to vent about that for a few years and never could find the right place. I feel much better!
    B R A V O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HATE ANYTHING FAKE!!! THAT GOES WITH PEOPLE TOO!!!
    Fake tails need to be banned plain and simple!!!!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

No, I wouldn't ban them. I had my first one ever who honestly needed one. BIG yearling whose ail had been chewed off 6-8" above his hocks. He looked ridiculous, unbalanced, and he had to show in hand. Additionally, his natural tail was very thick and coarse, and when washed, bushed out to twice its size! I got a 1.5 lb. tail, and hung it so it came just below his hocks. Blending it was a supreme challenge as the chewed part was blunt all the way through, so the fake, even though the correct thickness, looked like it protruded from under a skirt. With some very careful trimming and pulling and primping, I could get it acceptable enough. And he at least looked balanced. So no, no ban, but clearly some discretion...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Slightly off topic, but where can I buy some good quality falsies without a huge price tag?

If it were me - I would go with the falsie!

Added a third pictures to get a better view of the tail. I think I'm going with a fake one, because honestly braided there's hardly enough left. I'd like to get a tapered one though, if I can find it. I'll probably just have our braider do it for me, I have an A in November that we'll braid for, so I'll ask then. My worry is more if it'll make him look super short up front.
    Anyone else think that maybe his neck is just super short and that's the way it's meant to be? lol.