The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Confo Critque?

I'm nervous to post this! These are of my 4 year old, finally looks like a real horse, homebred mare.
    I can tell you what she is... or you can guess. haha

She's about 15'1, I think, I've never measured her. I love her either way, I'm curious to hear what people who know what they are looking at have to say now that she's matured into what she is going to be (I think??) I wish she was a little taller and thicker, but she's not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...8_154218-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...8_154208-1.jpg

instagram... it might be a little easier to see.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...008_155540.jpg

I was lunging her today and she stopped and posed so I tried to take a couple of quick pictures before she moved.

Thanks!
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Wow. Really lovely! You should be proud (although it doesn't really work that way.) Lol. Have you free jumped her at all? Is your goals eventing?

I am no expert - but like her shoulder and think she has a nice engine. Best wishes.

Thank you! She is the most hilarious, smart horse I have ever met.

She is definitely an event horse--with the brain she has.
    I was hoping I'd get a potentially upper level horse... We'll see! It was kind of an experiment...(I know....) She's 1/2 TB, 1/4 arab and 1/4 saddlebred aka a "boiling blood"

I haven't jumped her, I actually haven't ridden her much, she just seemed like she needed a little extra time. These last couple of weeks she just has seemed to come into her own.
    She jumps stuff on her own in the field, and she's a great problem solver, you can see the wheels turning when she is figuring stuff out.
    -Chelsie

I like her.

There's no reason she can't succeed in eventing. She looks athletic and sounds like she's got the right kind of brain.

As for size, don't worry about it. 15.1hh-15.2hh is fine.

I have a Saddlebred x who was a wonderful eventer and jumper so I think her breeding is pretty cool.

I wish she was a little taller and thicker, but she's not.
    She's only 4! wait until she's 6 before deciding she's done growing

She looks like a lovely girl

IIRC, you bred your rescue saddlebred/Arab cross to your trainer's ungelded TB -- with the expectation of creating a *UL* eventer? That still boggles the mind.
    She's cute enough, but she's not remotely what I'd buy, and definitely not what I'd breed, if I wanted a UL eventing prospect. On the other hand, kudos to you for keeping her and working with her so, if she doesn't make it where you want to go, at least she'll be a useful girl sellable to a good home, which is a better future than many backyard-bred horses can hope for.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Mickey View Post
    I was hoping I'd get a potentially upper level horse... We'll see!
    Easy there. She's not exactly saying she had any "expectation of creating an UL eventer."

I think your mare is very cute, and who knows what she'll become!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    IIRC, you bred your rescue saddlebred/Arab cross to your trainer's ungelded TB -- with the expectation of creating a *UL* eventer? That still boggles the mind.
    She's cute enough, but she's not remotely what I'd buy, and definitely not what I'd breed, if I wanted a UL eventing prospect. On the other hand, kudos to you for keeping her and working with her so, if she doesn't make it where you want to go, at least she'll be a useful girl sellable to a good home, which is a better future than many backyard-bred horses can hope for.
    FOUR YEARS AGO you were admonishing the OP for breeding. Still at it, I see.

Should the mare have been bred? In my opinion, no. But the filly is here now (been here for FOUR YEARS) and so admonishing the OP about a breeding that happened FOUR YEARS AGO is pointless.

If you don't have anything nice to say about the cute filly (who, yes, may not make it to the upper levels but that doesn't mean she can't be a nice useable horse), then don't post at all.

Good to know I'm consistent. I cant get behind breeding a horse just because she has the plumbing.
    The OP asked for opinions; I gave mine politely -- the horse looks like what she is; she didnt magically morph into a size or shape her breeding didn't predict. Like you, I said she looks cute enough & with OP's training should become a usable horse. I didn't chase the OP down or raise an old post to berate her.
    As for the old adage of if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything, I apply that in daily life and try to be polite here. But, really, people come here seeking advice, critique, etc. How good can that advice be if it can only be one-sided?
    I have no delusions that my one opinion will have any lasting effect on the OP, but I'd shudder to think that a bunch of one-sided "OMG, how totally adorable! Great UL prospect!" would give the impression that backyard breeding Arab/saddlebred/TB crosses is a good idea that should be repeated because they are so adorable and will sell today, standing out in this tight horse-shopping market.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

She's quite cute! I like her. The only thing I saw that gave me pause were the very angled pasterns in the front (predisposed to DSLD?) and the slightly clubby right hind. It may be the grass that's covering it, but the angle of the foot looks steep compared to the angle of the pastern, i.e. they don't match.

Otherwise, very nice.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I genuinely wanted a critique as nothing stands out at me and obviously Im biased. I did not post a picture just for people to comment on how pretty she is.

Is she going to be an upper level horse? Probaly not, and i can hope and daydream all i want, but that doesnt mean, even though she is unorthedox, that she can't end up being a really nice horse for me or someone else down the road and who knows what she wants to be in the long run anywaye.

She lives at home, shes handled daily, I have the ability to deal with baby horses. I started her, I started her mother, I handled her sire daily when he was alive and many half siblings. She's no ones "problem" but my own, and frankly Im pretty happy with the horse shes grown into being.
    -Chelsie

She's adorable and will probably make a lovely lower-level horse! Love her butt, love the look in her eye.

Be warned that she's a challenging saddle fit. Not impossible by any means, not even on a sub-$1000 budget, but you'll probably need something quite different than what you're using on your other rides (who, if I remember correctly, are TBs with very different back shapes than this girl).

I actually really like her. Her breeding would not deter me from buying her. she is a good size for me and a good age and I LOVE arabian crosses! You can't tell if she will be an UL horse in my opinion until you start training her and see how she is. If she is a good jumper, has a good mind, and is sound there is no reason why she can't do up to prelim. There are a lot of backyard breeds up to prelim (an upper level) that are the exception, not the norm. That is why some people might not think she has UL talent and wouldn't buy her if they had the options. I would like more updates when she starts her training!

I think she's a cutie, but then I have a soft spot for all three of those breeds
    A question on the photos tho, did you take them with an IPhone 5?
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I always hesitate on requests for confo critiques, particularly with someone who obviously adores the horse. At the end of the day, I do think that a lot of horses surprise us with what they can do despite the way their parts fit together, and plus, I just think it's not very nice to be critical of other folks' friends. At most, I might note what jumps out to me as potential for long term issues that someone might want to think about (but may already be well-aware).

That being said, I agree that she's probably not what I would pick for an upper level horse, and long term, I'd be concerned about the potential for injury coming from those long pasterns (in particular, soft-tissue issues), as well as some limits to her ability to use her front end due to her fairly uphill shoulder and front end angles. I'd also want to keep an eye on the clubby-appearing hind foot - could be the photo, but would check live. If your end-all/be-all goal was to go intermediate or advanced, I might bet that she's a lower probability chance than some other youngsters I've seen, but if you adore her, give her a good home and a fair shot to develop into whatever it is she will be, and have fun with her, than that's all that really matters.

After all gets said and done -- it will be very interesting to see how she develops. Great brain and fun can make the journey so much more enjoyable. And if she gets the bug to event and loves jumping - who knows!? She could be a treasured packer someday! She will let you know what her plans are.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Be warned that she's a challenging saddle fit. Not impossible by any means, not even on a sub-$1000 budget, but you'll probably need something quite different than what you're using on your other rides (who, if I remember correctly, are TBs with very different back shapes than this girl).
    Well you know, I obliviously can't have a horse that is easy to fit a saddle too... And yes, you are correct about my other horse... He is very very very different from this girl.

To the person who asked,
    The pictures were taken with a LG Optimus, which is low quality Andriod.

Thanks again everyone!
    My overall thoughts on her (besides my rose tinted glasses obviously,haha) Is that she appears to be pretty balanced and has some decent angles in her body, not really a fan of her pasterns, but that is literally the extent of my confo (lack of) expertise.
    -Chelsie