The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying a mare in foal question

Has anyone here bought a mare in foal with the seller keeping the foal?

How did you handle the insurance? What provisions did you make for say the mare colicing in the last 30 days and the costs involved with saving either mare or baby or both?

I'm wondering if the easiest way is to buy the mare and then the seller leases her back and takes out insurance although I'd like to further complicate things by having the mare come to me during her pregnancy and foaling out and offset her board against her purchase

Am I overthinking this?

I was on the other side of your scenario.

I was selling a mare in foal and wanted to keep the foal. What I did as far as boarding is concerned was to keep the mare home and only bill half-board to the buyer until weaning. Insurance was to be taken by the buyer of the mare on the mare.

I didn't go overboard with thinking of solutions for every possible horror story. Too long and frankly, the mare/foal combo would choose the one I didn't think of.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

That's kind of what will happen except that it is considerably cheaper for the seller to have the mare boarded and foaled out with me as I can charge expenses only whereas she boards out.

I see!

You could also make your contract as if you bought mare AND foal, and she purchases the foal in utero? Would that make it simpler paperwise?

I'm thinking out loud... I haven't thought this through!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I would not buy a mare in that scenario. If I bought an in-foal mare, it includes the foal.

There are just too many things that can go wrong. A stall accident, paddock accident, foaling out can cause permanent injury and/or death to the mare. There are some things that just don't get covered by insurance. What if the seller's handling caused a problem? What if they failed to attend the delivery or the mare snuck a delivery? Just WAY too many things can go wrong in that scenario.

If I saw an ad for a mare in foal, but the seller wanted to keep her foal, I'd likely walk away. Another option would be to put down a down-payment to hold the sale that would only carry through to completion once the vet checked out the mare after delivery of the foal, and a second vet check once the foal weaned to ensure that the mare was still in the same health to which I had bought her in. Then the rest of the money would carry forward to complete the sale. If the mare died before completion or became unfit for future breeding as determiend by a vet, that down-payment should be returnable because the downpayment was on the condition of a sound and breeding fit broodmare exchanging ownership.

Those types of things are too complicated in a contract, however. It would have to be an absolutely spectacular mare for me to consider. Most of the time, as a buyer of broodmares and breeding stock, I would walk away.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

hmmm - all good points Rodawn.

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Another option would be to put down a down-payment to hold the sale that would only carry through to completion once the vet checked out the mare after delivery of the foal, and a second vet check once the foal weaned to ensure that the mare was still in the same health to which I had bought her in. Then the rest of the money would carry forward to complete the sale. If the mare died before completion or became unfit for future breeding as determiend by a vet, that down-payment should be returnable because the downpayment was on the condition of a sound and breeding fit broodmare exchanging ownership.

Those types of things are too complicated in a contract, however.
    ^This is basically what I did with one of my mares (except we did not do a second vet check as we bred her on her 30 day heat). I will preface that it was a deal with a friend and someone I had done business with in the past. The mare came here a few months before foaling and I kept the foal here until weaning. I took over expenses on the mare (basically treated it as if I'd already purchased her). I did not charge board but seller was responsible for any extras on the foal (ie farrier, grain for foal, vet expenses, etc). Seller was also responsible for all foaling related vet expenses on the mare. I was thrilled to just be offered the opportunity to purchase this mare and would have done just about anything to have her
    Not sure how I'd feel about doing this with a stranger though...there is so much that can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    I would not buy a mare in that scenario. If I bought an in-foal mare, it includes the foal.

There are just too many things that can go wrong. A stall accident, paddock accident, foaling out can cause permanent injury and/or death to the mare. There are some things that just don't get covered by insurance. What if the seller's handling caused a problem? What if they failed to attend the delivery or the mare snuck a delivery? Just WAY too many things can go wrong in that scenario.

If I saw an ad for a mare in foal, but the seller wanted to keep her foal, I'd likely walk away. Another option would be to put down a down-payment to hold the sale that would only carry through to completion once the vet checked out the mare after delivery of the foal, and a second vet check once the foal weaned to ensure that the mare was still in the same health to which I had bought her in. Then the rest of the money would carry forward to complete the sale. If the mare died before completion or became unfit for future breeding as determiend by a vet, that down-payment should be returnable because the downpayment was on the condition of a sound and breeding fit broodmare exchanging ownership.

Those types of things are too complicated in a contract, however. It would have to be an absolutely spectacular mare for me to consider. Most of the time, as a buyer of broodmares and breeding stock, I would walk away.
    Ditto.