The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CT? What's the Point?

I have never evented and am just a wannabe. I've only been a cross country course once in my life. There are only CTs (dressage + stadium) in my area to take advantage of. The closest horse trial is 3 hours away.

I was at a clinic recently and was trying to describe a CT to an eventer who only does trials/events, and she said "what's the point???" And I thought, well, good question.

If you have the option to do a HT, I guess there is no point from how I see it. But figured I would pose that to the forum.

What's the point of a CT? Do you do them even if you have access to HTs in your area?

I've only done one CT and am planning on another. For me, I liked it because it was close and I got to go show and get my dressage score and get on a stadium course. I'm not against them at all, but I think if I lived in Aiken or somewhere else with HTs, I probably would never do one again unless it was just to go show dressage.

Bring in more entries, be more appealing to lower level riders or riders who cannot afford to pay for an entire event or those riders who dont have time to go to a full event or those who dont trust their horse over cross county. I had a friend who did only CT's because her horse was a basketcase on cross country and she didnt feel comfortable out there but they did really well in stadium and dressage.

Or the opposite. I have had horses that were cross country machines, but could always use a little more work on their dressage and stadium jumping, especially as I was about to move up.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

They provide excellent schooling opportunities. My horses tend to love xc but are not as happy in the dressage ring.

CTs are the best schooling shows for eventers. I will go to them especially when moving up a level, to see how my horse fairs in the new dressage tests or how well she manages new jump heights. Or if there's a few weeks in between Trials and I get anxious to play or want to take my horse out to exercise in a new setting. 65$ in fees vs 200$+ in fees. And the best part is that most facilities offering CTs allow competitions to go school the xc course after their ride.

I often will do CTs to work on my dressage and show jumping (especially show jumping). A lot of them around here also offer extra jumping rounds or additional dressage tests, so you can get more practice in. I prefer CTs to jumper shows because they are scheduled, like events, so you know when you ride, more or less.

I view them as schooling opportunities, not competition. I can practice my dressage and show jumping at home until I am blue in the face, but I won't get the same show ring vibe so can't work on the issues I/we have at shows.

I also like them to get us going in the beginning of the year, and they are often the first outing a young horse goes to. Horse trials will run them around here to give UL competitors the opportunity to get competition ring miles over good courses and footing, even if they don't necessarily offer the level of xc (ie, a venue may only go to prelim, but they can still run an advanced CT). Lots of points to them.

For me, there are CTs I can go to 2x a month all winter. Plus since they are also schooling dressage shows I can throw in an extra dressage test or two!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Love doing CTs. Less wear and tear - what's the point of pounding your horse into the ground when you don't need to.

I also do a lot of driving CTs - it's all about the outside rein and a good cones course really reinforces and tests my ability to get the monster pony on that outside rein without the stress of marathon.

In short, as has been mentioned above - it's a great training aid.

To have fun...

I am a dressage person but did a CT this summer for the heck of it. Just something different to school horse on (jumping) and to practice dressage and to say that I did it. It was a blast and horse seemed to enjoy it.

Am doing another one Sunday. Moving up from ground poles to cross rails. Let's see if I can beat a few 10 year olds!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I often will do CTs to work on my dressage and show jumping (especially show jumping). A lot of them around here also offer extra jumping rounds or additional dressage tests, so you can get more practice in. I prefer CTs to jumper shows because they are scheduled, like events, so you know when you ride, more or less.

I view them as schooling opportunities, not competition. I can practice my dressage and show jumping at home until I am blue in the face, but I won't get the same show ring vibe so can't work on the issues I/we have at shows.

I also like them to get us going in the beginning of the year, and they are often the first outing a young horse goes to. Horse trials will run them around here to give UL competitors the opportunity to get competition ring miles over good courses and footing, even if they don't necessarily offer the level of xc (ie, a venue may only go to prelim, but they can still run an advanced CT). Lots of points to them.
    Couldn't have said it better ;-) A CT is also a great venue for a youngster to see his first crowds and have to try to focus with 'stuff' going on around him. Dressage is my toughest phase so getting inside the white chain a few times in one day is very helpful to my own set of moronic behaviors...
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

And some CTs run their jumping on the XC course and not stadium. I even know one that mixes stadium and XC jumps.

As others have said, CTs are great schooling experiences, particularly for young horses. And they are plentiful because they don't require the space and manpower a horse trial requires.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com