The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default Talk to me about... field tiles

I talked to the owner of the surrounding fields (currently in beans). He leases the property to a local farmer each year. I have an option to purchase, but at the moment I can't afford all 43 acres and he doesn't want to split. So we keep going -- he keeps leasing it to a farmer, I keep dreaming of getting a few more acres. I asked him about riding on the land once the beans are in and he said he would check with the guy who leases it (since he DOES lease it) but mentioned something about the field tiles and how a couple have collapsed. I have contemplated asking if I could lease 3-4 acres of it (to put in hay) but know nothing about tiles. Why are they put in? Do they have to be maintained? etc. Last thing I want is to offer to lease the acreage and then have to sink a TON Of money into fixing a bunch of tiles.

Insight is much appreciated!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Tiles are to drain water. They are either clay or plastic and when one tile is damaged you can sure tell! You will end up with a wet spot in the feild. There really isnt a way to maintain the tiles until they need fixing, and that usually takes a backhoe or mini-ex. Most tiles are several feet underground (around here at least) so you shouldn't fall into a tile easily. Your more likely to step into a gopher hole.

Wow. Learn something new almost every day :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com