The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We had the game warden come out a few weeks ago and haul it away for us.

I would cut it up for my dogs. Free dog food!

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Ditto this!
    Even if you think you're safe eating roadkill, you can expect the taste to be pretty "off" due the the massive amount of adrenaline spilled in an injured animal's attemtps to get safe.

This tidbit gleaned from a hunter friend when I asked why not eat Venison a la Roadside
    Some years ago an 8 point buck jumped in front of my Trooper, looked me straight in the eye and said "Hit me"

Which I did.

A few minutes later a pickup truck with 4 good ole boys stopped and said "Lady you did better than we did", hoisted the deer up into the bed of the truck and happily took off with him. I'm assuming they ate him.

It cost my insurance company $1800 to fix the Trooper.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Ditto this!
    Even if you think you're safe eating roadkill, you can expect the taste to be pretty "off" due the the massive amount of adrenaline spilled in an injured animal's attemtps to get safe.

This tidbit gleaned from a hunter friend when I asked why not eat Venison a la Roadside
    I grew up with a hunting grandfather and cousin. I of course thought it was all awful (killing Bambi!) but I did pick up a lot of useful information. FWIW, I am no longer opposed to deer hunting.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post

A few minutes later a pickup truck with 4 good ole boys stopped and said "Lady you did better than we did", hoisted the deer up into the bed of the truck and happily took off with him. I'm assuming they ate him.

It cost my insurance company $1800 to fix the Trooper.
    Up here, you have to report a vehicular "deer-i-cide" to the game warden, or you can be fined if they find out it was you that hit the animal.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I agree, if you can place it far enough into the woods so the dogs can't get the carcass, let nature take it's course.

We were out walking in the woods, about a mile from our house one day. Suddenly the smell of rot hit our noses. searching all around nearby showed no carcass. But just above us there was an old wooden tree stand long abandoned. The stand's platform was about 15 feet above the ground with a rickey wooden ladder. I was able to go halfway up the ladder to peer on the platform. Sure enough there was a dead adult doe - in the tree stand Now - what animal could possibly carry a full grown deer up a wooden latter??? Bears won't, coyotes won't and bobcats aren't big enough. Sure the deer didn't crawl up there to die. You bet from that day on, I knew there were mountain lions in NY. And one had been within a mile of my house!
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

This brought to mind memories of this hilarious post to usenet in years past.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Oh that is hilarious.

This past week I kept seeing ads on Animal Plant where a hynea supposedly enters the back end of an elephant?? Didn't get a chance to see the show, suppose they mean similar to your linked story - hynea eats out the umm...'posterior' of a dead elephant and actually gets into the body cavity.
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

I can't figure out if our road crew does this or if it was the property owner but I've seen a carcass right at the end of a driveway doused with gas and basically cremated. One day it was there and pretty fragrant and the next it was somewhat of a blackened pile.

Many MANY years ago we've eaten fresh road killed deer although you're supposed to use your deer tag so if it's out of season it's out of season. There's a lot of waste due to bruising and pooling of blood but the backstraps and loins are mostly edible.

The carcasses rot in stages and after a while they don't smell much but if there is anything I hate it's having the dog lovingly bring a deer leg home for you to find on the porch
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

First thing I thought when I saw the thread title was, "saw off the antlers and give them to the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Up here, you have to report a vehicular "deer-i-cide" to the game warden, or you can be fined if they find out it was you that hit the animal.
    Animal? What animal? Good Ole boys took care of that, no? Any questions by the body shop are answered with "It ran off into the woods." (You did say "cide" not "hit.")

Quote Originally Posted by ET's Home View Post
    You bet from that day on, I knew there were mountain lions in NY. And one had been within a mile of my house!
    I grew up in the Catskills and used to hear them regularly.
    Akal Ranch Blog - http://akalranch.com/
    Simrat Khalsa Fine Art & Photography - http://www.simratkhalsa.com/

To prove CoTH is a jinx...
    I went home last night and there was a dead deer in the back clearing. Appeared to be the product of a lazy neighborhood bow hunter. (although to be fair, if this guy had tracked it into our property, DH would have probably shot him ) DH buried it with the back hoe.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Dogs in Elk
    ZOMG - that is a match for the Squirrel/Beetpulp story!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Yes, I did find that out later, luckily I was able to truthfully say I had no idea of what to do in that situation. My insurance company had a few words to say about it also, luckily there were bits of deer stuck to the bumper.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I would definitely bury it. My dog would be in raptures to be able to roll in a nice stinky carcass. That's not a particular perfume I want in my house.

I also have ducks to look out for and I wouldn't want to attract any large predators if I could help it.

Quote Originally Posted by ET's Home View Post
    This past week I kept seeing ads on Animal Plant where a hynea supposedly enters the back end of an elephant?? Didn't get a chance to see the show, suppose they mean similar to your linked story - hynea eats out the umm...'posterior' of a dead elephant and actually gets into the body cavity.
    I watched the episode of that the other night; it is indeed true. It's an area where the skin is the thinnest on the elephant's hide ...

If you can catch the episode, it's, um, interesting to watch. I'd recommend not eating before watching it or even for a few hours afterwards ...

I believed them about the hyena, I just thought it was a bit... peculiar... that this fact was an ...ummm.... selling point? The ads were just weird.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBs View Post

Animal? What animal? Good Ole boys took care of that, no? Any questions by the body shop are answered with "It ran off into the woods." (You did say "cide" not "hit.")
    The game department tracks the numbers. I didn't mean that you get fined if you hit a deer, just if you don't report it.

Cool WONDERFUL ~ Thanks for sharing !!!

WONDERFUL ~~~ Thanks for sharing !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Buzzards don't have teeth, so they can't eat what's under the skin. After they eat the eyes and any soft parts exposed in the kill, they have to wait for other beasts to come rip open the skin, or wait for decomposition to reveal new parts, which is probably why the buzzards left briefly; they'll be back. If you have a good natural ecosystem it'll be mostly eaten within 4 days, or at least eaten up enough to not stink to high heaven.
    If you can avoid the area (to stay away from the smell) I'd just leave it be. It'll contribute to the health of your pasture and the surounding natural ecosystem.