The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Contact your state's wildlife department. Depending on where you live, it might be among the deer dying off because of several diseases. The department might be very interested in the carcass.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I had to pull a big, dead doe out of my pond at my old place. It was disgusting. We pulled it over to the fence line and it was GONE within a week. No sign of it left at all. Thank god, because at the time I didn't have a tractor/atv/mule or anything else to deal with it. I knew my gelding wouldn't get anywhere near it. He HATES the smell of dead stuff - and if he wouldn't go over there, the other two would stay away, too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    I've usually got 1 or 2 rotting deer on my place at any given moment. Because I am not of sturdy pioneer stock, and therefore prefer to maintain a seemly distance between myself and such putrefying corpses as are endemic to the country life, it is my policy to leave'em be and let nature take its course. Generally, within a week the buzzards and furry woodland creatures have conveniently dispensed with the main stinkage. The dogs, though. Whoa. I've got a yella lab from whose throat I must often extract lengths of deer hide as long as my arm. I avert my eyes and scream like a Justin Bieber groupie during this process. Then I fling the hide into the nearest cactus, with the result that the farm is gradually beginning to resemble a sort of stone age tannery.

Just have to share - last fall my husband was sitting on our front porch around 9:30 when he saw a big buck get hit by a pickup truck right in front of our house. Buck killed, pickup probably totalled. When the cop got there hubby asked what he was going to do with the buck - cop said he usually would call DPW and they'd send a truck out to get it in the morning. BUT if the buck was gone by then, that would be fine, too. Hubby comes upstairs all excited to tell me about this wonderful development!

Then he dragged the buck out back with our lawn tractor and butchered it in the woods by flashlight. We had lots of yummy venison all winter and I now call our house the Roadkill Cafe.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Oliver you'll have to add that to your siggie!

One of our illustrious neighbors poached a deer in our neighborhood-it died next to our pasture and F&G said whoever wanted to take the meat could take it. We grabbed it-it was a clean shot with a broadhead and the deer was just dead when we got to it-nice little jumpstart on hunting season.

Thoroughly traumatized the vegan neighbor that had been feeding the young buck in her yard all summer.

But boy he tastes good!

You did offer the vegan some of the backstrap, didn't you?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

....she didn't ask....

I'm assuming the deer is gone or just about by now?
    A normal, healthy ecosystem should eliminate a deer in 48-72 hours at the most. I drag them into an open, visible area and then just watch. I may have a skull left ater 48 hours...that doesn't have as much "chewy" as the clean up crews seem to prefer. Everything else is gone.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Having had both, I can attest that a dead deer in a pasture is far preferable to a dead deer in a pool!

I'm going to take a walk over tomorrow and see what the situation is so that I can report back. If it's not well on it's way then I might go down the covering-it-with-manure route to see if that helps the process along.

Thanks y'all!

You folks seem to be missing the point that that's 200+ pounds of perfectly good fertilizer! Dig a hole, dump the deer in, add a touch of lime, and plant a tree on top! Bonus points if it's a tree that produces fruit or nuts!
    Matthew Kiwala
    Foothill Farriers
    (530) 870-4390

Quote Originally Posted by Foothill_Farrier View Post
    You folks seem to be missing the point that that's 200+ pounds of perfectly good fertilizer! Dig a hole, dump the deer in, add a touch of lime, and plant a tree on top! Bonus points if it's a tree that produces fruit or nuts!
    So would it produce deer nuts?
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    So would it produce deer nuts?
    Only if you buried a buck.
    Matthew Kiwala
    Foothill Farriers
    (530) 870-4390

LMAO^^^
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I had a dead dear in my back yard once, that I totally didn't notice and neither did the dogs. My dad stopped over one morning on his way out and was standing in the living room looking out my back windows with his cup of coffee and said "Kate - Why is there a dead dear in your yard?"

Me: "No there isn't!?"

Him: "Yep, there is. Right there by the tree."

So, we both get our coats and boots on and trudge out there to take a look and it had clearly been hit by a car. It had a compound fracture of the leg. So my dad's poking at it and says "This things been dead for a while. It's got riggle tortoise."

Me: "Riggle tortoise Dad? Really? Where'd you learn that?"

Him: "I watch those CSI shows."

Gotta love him really. He strung a rope on it and dragged it to the swampy area next to the corn field. The coyotes and fox cleaned it up over the next couple of weeks.

So, I wandered over yesterday to check on the carcass status. To begin with I couldn't even FIND the deer - then, way out in the pasture I saw a rib cage, then in the opposite direction a skull, another way a hip bone etc. Basically there are totally picked clean bones all over the pasture but not a single piece of flesh anywhere. Absolutely amazing!!!

A healthy, diverse ecosystem does a fantastic job on clean-ups.

Very efficient. Even more so in warm seasons with the additional help from the bugs. Middle of a cold winter might take a little longer due to lack of some birds and bugs. But it's often found faster due to hunger.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Default Dog in Elk!

ok... my first thought was... buy yourself a pair of basenjis or New Guinea Singing Dogs and just step back!

Introducing the internet legend:

Dogs In Elk!!!
    http://www.jerrypournelle.com/report...dogsinelk.html

The original thread (I believe was linked to on here) had pictures, but they seem to have been lost in time.

here is the original poster on the validity of the original post:
    http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~solan/d...k/validity.htm
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Cool! I'd keep the skull as a souvenir, but I'm a little strange that way.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Yo I'll state again that the skull could be a source of botulism for the dogs. Great that the rest of it is gone but I'd pitch the skull...

And I'm not much of a worry wort in that regard... but watching said friend's dog struggle for a year to even walk had me throwing away skulls that the dogs could find and chew on.