This may have been discussed before but could not find in quick search. How long has one waited to finally get a horse sold.
Took the horse to trainer in So. Fl last Jan. Am looking for a certain price, have come down, horse is 7 yo, has his quirks, not the prettiest head, but is a decent mover and jumps great. This is a horse I bred so there is an emotional attachment. Maybe part of me really does not want to see him go and thus the karma gets through. But, I do have 2 others at home that are as promising if not more so, so where I fit this one in is tough, since I do work full time. But, after 10 months and apparently 137 showings (he apparently came in 2nd a lot) I have said send him home.
I am aware that I have to regroup my goals and actually have been enjoying the small triumphs I get with the the other 2 (and a third, actually, that I hope to do some lower level eventing on) here at home.
Trainer claims people from up north are starting to head south now and there will be more showings. But, he has been there 10 months now, he has been getting great care and riding, but I pay for this, though at a fair rate. I think I am done with it. Bring him home for awhile, reassess him for myself, then go from there. Know I can't get the prices she can get but just tired of him being gone for so long.
So, anyway, how long have some of you waited out till that magical sale? (Think as usual I am trying to have my cake and eat it, too,)
10 months is a while but honestly I think you are not thinking straight to bring him home right before Florida season. You've already got a lot invested in him at this point. I'd tough it out until February and then reevaluate if he isn't sold. Or else move him to someone down there who is known for getting them sold quick. Some people are great at sales, others just aren't. Moving him now would probably maximize his chance of getting sold in the Dec./Jan. range where a lot of selling seems to get done.
Not sure where you are located, but in the mid Atlantic area the market is still really slow. My former horse sold in May after a year and a half of being on the market. Crazy fancy, drop dead gorgeous, but pulled down and could get strong. Another friend here has had a young imported gelding for sale for a year now, he's had tri colors almost every time out in the Pre greens and he is priced well.
I think you're the only one who can know when enough is enough, especially since he isn't with you. For me, I ended up taking considerably less than what my horse was worth to me because I had to move on to have enough money to buy something else and keep going. I sympathize with you though- the waiting is hard while you still have all the expenses each month. At least in my area, horses that have been sitting awhile eventually get sold by having a major price drop or moving the horse to a different area so they get exposure to a new market.
Kind of depends on the price point you're at as well - my guy that was for sale in the 20k range sold in three months, with about 10 showings. That market seems to be still moving at an OK pace, although it still seems glacially slow when you're waiting for one to sell so you can buy.
However, while searching for my horse to buy in the 40k range, I'm seeing horses that have been sitting on the market for 9 months at least. And they look like nice horses with no appreciable defects. In fact, I'm struggling mightily to find something to look at in that range - that meets the right criteria for a jumper. I'm pulling my hair out that I can't find something worth traveling to see in that mid range.
So, I think the price range might make a huge difference in how fast they are moving....at least in my experience right now.
Really, it is ALL about price. Eventually if you keep lowering the price (not telling you that you should) the horse will sell. Horse may be just above the line for some people, which is why they are choosing another horse first. Last horse I sold (about 2 months ago) I can say was worth WAY more. But honestly, the horse is only worth what someone (or the market) is willing to pay. We get emotionally caught up in sales I think. I took a calculation on just exactly how much money I spent on this horse each month and multipled that by 12 to get a yearly estimate. I knew I didn't want to keep her another year, so looking at that shocking figure made lowering the price much easier. I'd rather sell quick and not deal with the monthly bills and the headache/heartache. Good luck in your decision.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
¯ Oscar Wilde
IMO you should have him at a trainers (whether the same or another I have no idea, up to you) from now (or DEC 1 if your wallet needs a break) until March 1 to hit the best marketing opportunities.
Sounds like he may have needed a little work before he could show well last Feb and then most of your buyer pool went home. They will be back soon though. No sense pulling him now, give it a few more months in prime buying season down there.
However, maybe a review of how hard trainer was really trying to sell him is in order. Price drop wouldn't hurt either. Be firmer that he HAS to go and you will not support him after March.
I am a little confuzzled...you say he "showed 137 times" does that mean he was at a horse show competing or that he was presented to buyers????
When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.
Let me also mention, it would also be worth finding out what price said trainer is quoting to potential buyers. Depends on how well you know the trainer, but when I had a horse that wouldn't sell for ever and ever, it was because I thought the price was $x, and the price being quoted to buyers was $x plus $20k.
Especially if it is one of those situations where the trainer wants to know "how much you need to get from the horse".
I hate to be suspicious, but it might pay to do a little reconnaissance, and have someone neutral find out what the trainer is asking for the horse. Just a thought....
Show Season 1: tried to sell him myself, all tire kickers
Show Season 2: sent him out on commission, got a few nibbles
Beginning of Show Season 3: got fed up, sent him to another place, was sold in two months
I have been in a situation where I had a horse for sale that was lovely in his own right, pretty dark bay young horse. However, when you stood him next to my other dark bay horse, the sale horse didn't hold a candle in comparison.
Finally I hid the prettier horse away when people came to look at the sale horse and the very next person who came to see him bought him.
Perhaps he needs to move to a sales barn where there aren't as many good looking horses?
Or perhaps they need to present him a little better so he shines more in a prospective buyer's eyes?