The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My first hunt

Well, yesterday I got to knock off one of the top items on my bucket list by riding in my first hunt. Although I'd ridden for years, and first rode at a barn with an outside hunt course, had never been in the right place at the right time to be involved.

My very close friend, Barb, made it happen for me. Had a great time Saturday trying on clothes at her place - she loaned me the entire outfit, except for the hat. She then readied and trailered both horses yesterday. She has her colors and I was able to ride 3rd in the 3rd field, right behind her and her amazing steed. (If you could see her horse, steed is the word for him - enormous grey draft cross with mega personality. )

The weather was almost perfect. Their new school horse I was privileged to ride was agile and willing in only her 2nd hunt. I was lucky enough to have just done a hunter pace clinic for my OTTB, so I was now familiar with trotting downhill fast!

The Club members were warm and accommodating, and the breakfast was fantastic. As I rode many moons ago in the locale, I also got to reminisce with other club members about past local personalities, including a dearly missed trainer who turned my life back towards riding.

Although some of the members apologized for having less than usual activity, for me it was a wonderful experience. Can't wipe the smile off my face this morning!

Now, I'm an ex H/J show gal, who was thinking about changing over to eventing. But now...? It's quite certain my OTTB won't get to the hunt field, so as soon as I end this entry, I'm putting my nose to the grindstone workwise... How can I afford another horse, and a trailer and pick-up?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Default Sounds GREAT !

Sounds like it was GREAT ! Pictures of your new horse and trailer `` please !ps color and icons not working OH MY !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Woooooohooooo!
    Congratulations! I went on my second hunt about a month ago. My "timeline" is Before I Hunted or After I Hunted.

Think about joining COTH Hunting Princesses (search that thread) at Hunter's Rest for the next COTH/HP weekend--probably scheduled for next Spring.
    Carol

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Sounds like it was GREAT ! Pictures of your new horse and trailer `` please !ps color and icons not working OH MY !!!
    Thanks, Zuzu, I don't have the set-up yet, but now thinking I need to get me one!

I didn't take pictures, was worried about protocol, but some were taken, so will post when I get them.

Congrats! So happy you had fun and safe time! Hope this is the beginning of many years of hunting for you.

At our hunt yesterday we created a 3rd flight. There were 5 of us who for various reasons- horses new to hunting, re-riders building up confidence, remedial work, etc- needed to have the option to stay off a fast pace. Like your weather, ours was perfect and there was no wind. The few times we lost a visual on the fields we could still hear every horn blow by our Huntsman and hear the hounds voices. It was perfect.

Yayyyyy for you! I became an official Coth Hunting Princess last month (same hunt as Manydogs) when I rode my first hunt at Hunters Rest. You should plan on joining us sometime. Everyone is friendly and encouraging - even to this Yankee. I spend an awful lot of my work time daydreaming about when I will get to hunt again....

Well, Cheval Convert, as soon as you and your DH put the Tiaaarrraaahhssss on, we knew you were one of us!
    CVPeg-definitely plan on a trip south to VA for a good ol' Southern Hunt.
    Woooooooohooooooooooooo (yelled when one views le fox).

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    Well, Cheval Convert, as soon as you and your DH put the Tiaaarrraaahhssss on, we knew you were one of us!
    CVPeg-definitely plan on a trip south to VA for a good ol' Southern Hunt.
    Woooooooohooooooooooooo (yelled when one views le fox).
    DH did look awfully cute in his tiara.

WTG CVPeg!

Count me in on the please post pics contingent!
    And nothing bad happened!

Congratulations! While I'm certain there is something to be said for every equine discipline, I don't beleive that there is anything else that compares favorably to the visceral thrill of hunting.

You sit there on your horse, checking your attire, making sure your gloves, coat, stock tie are all right. You chat quietly, excitedly with your host and neighbors.

And then the huntsman and whips come riding up with the hounds and the world around you suddenly stills...and becomes exquisitely clear. Every sense alert, you hear the clamor of the excited hounds, see the early mist rising, smell the earthy dusky scent of leaves and dirt beneath your horses hooves.....

...and just riding will never again be enough

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

So much fun to share this with everyone. Thanks for the responses.

Hinderella - you said it perfectly!

Doubt I'd make it to VA anytime soon with work and other obligations. Tried to make Hunter's Rest once before, but it fell through for several reasons. Love the vision of the tiaras. Now I understand, having had to don a hairnet for the first time since waitressing one college summer. I grabbed my Saratoga hat for the hunt breakfast.

Talked to my friend yesterday, and she can't put her hands on the camera. Figures it must have slipped down into some crevice in the truck and she's hoping to locate it soon. However there was a professional or official photographer there as well, so we're hoping to get pictures one way or the other. I really should have carried my cell as it was so much fun watching her wonderful horse.

And, I have to say, our state can be so beautiful. As icing on the cake, near the end of the hunt, one of the Masters (correctly stated??) took us on a final trail to the top of a hill for a fantastic view.

The only sad thing is, I realize it requires such fitness and soundness - greatly increased my respect for how grueling it is for the horse, and what they need to be to withstand it. Although I think he could be fit enough to maintain the stamina, I don't think my OTTB would hold up hoof or leg wise. He's finally "coming down" after a pretty good career on the track, a year of stops and starts and groundwork, and now with a good boarding and trainer situation, will hopefully get to event.

Like I said, need to make more $$$!

Going fox hunting? Now my dream to do it leads to dreams of more!

Fox hunting was on my bucket list too! But my trainer threw me into the first field. One hundred hunts later, I'm still going strong.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling