The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Why do you breed?

There's a thread in the hunter jumper forum about the cost of raising a baby from in utero through competing. This is a young person who would lease a broodmare (I presume) and breed, boarding the mare, then the foal...yearling etc until the offspring reached an age where she could compete. She was asking what the costs were, and the numbers are mind numbing when you add it up. Those of us who have had horses for a while know better than to EVER do that math. But it just struck me that all of her responses said "don't do it, it's WAY cheaper to buy a young horse" Pretty true.

So what keeps all of you people breeding from seeing the sense in this? I've bred a mare twice in the past and will be doing it again next spring, and am excited and nervous and feel like I"m hatching the greatest Christmas surprise for myself EVER when doing it. I can't WAIT for the agony of waiting and watching and wondering how it will all turn out again. Is this the same sickness you all have, this need to torture yourselves?

1) Because I'm stupid
    2) Because it's on the payment plan (a little at a time, adding up to a lot) and it's not as painful as paying for a 3 year old all at once.
    3) Because I'm confident (but probably wrong) that I can breed a better one than I can buy.
    4) Because I like raising/training horses.
    5) Because I get a great deal of joy seeing the little wet thing that was born on my lap and got his first suckle on my finger grow into a beautiful horse.

Quote Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
    1) Because I'm stupid
    2) Because it's on the payment plan (a little at a time, adding up to a lot) and it's not as painful as paying for a 3 year old all at once.
    3) Because I'm confident (but probably wrong) that I can breed a better one than I can buy.
    5) Because I get a great deal of joy seeing the little wet thing that was born on my lap and got his first suckle on my finger grow into a beautiful horse.
    secretariat, I'd delete #1 from your list, and bold #2

And I'd add a #6 -- contributing to the breed. I breed Friesian Sporthorses, and I believe very much in the breed and I get great satisfaction from knowing I'm contributing to (and hopefully continuing to improve) the breed. I want everyone to know and love Friesian Sporthorses like I do. Or at least have some inkling what they even are, rather than having them lost in the mishmash of irresponsibly and haphazardly bred Friesian crosses which so vastly outnumber true Friesian Sporthorses.
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

Not for the faint of heart or pocketbook, but with good choices it can pay off.

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

1) Because I'm stupid
    Pretty much this. But I'd also add, I can raise them the way I'd like, which can make a HUGE difference in life. I've made four whole babies, and I can have them out running in the hills as a baby (I do not own property) not start them too young and push them too hard, and do the right kind of training when they're young.

I think a huge issue with buying a young horse is you don't know this, and they don't have the careful conditioning as a young horse that I think makes a huge difference in soundness and longevity.

I do NOT need another horse, but I'm thinking about this spring again. My mare can be a HUGE pain in the ass, but is WONDERFUL pregnant. If I breed her in the spring, I can have a wonderful horse competing 4th and PSG and make a really cool Swedaloosa, or Swedestrupper. I know no one is breeding that.

It is addicting!

I originally bred my mare because I wanted to raise one nice enough to be my next hunter and didn't have upfront cash to do that.

He is now my hunter, he is 4 this year and it is very satisfying seeing him grow up and become a show horse!

Just went to his first jumping show this week!

I do love the fact I have control of how the babies are raised, fed and trained! You never have to question what's happened with them, if they have had injuries and how their nutrition has been!

I also love when they are born and seeing their first steps! Priceless!

For me, it started with having a wonderful mare whose show career ended due to an injury but had the bloodlines, movement, confirmation and jump to make her worth breeding. I hoped to breed a replacement for my mare.

Financially it might have been less expensive to buy a prospect but it wouldn't be my mare's foal. Part of my reason for breeding her was to carry on her gene pool and hopefully improve upon her. Her 3 year old filly is everything I had hoped for and more. She's ranked #1 in the zone and 8th in the nation in hunter breeding and she won her very first flat class!

I plan to breed my mare again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    Not for the faint of heart or pocketbook, but with good choices it can pay off.

Cheers
    AND LUCK!! I have the best KWPN jumper broodmare out of Holland but for the past two years I have piled bad luck over bad circumstances and so on so still not in foal. I know that if I can get her in foal I would sell easy and for very good money but for now I am only adding vet fee in my pocket.

At least I have a two years old filly out of her that I keep fondly.
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

There's something indescribably addictive about making breeding choices and watch your choice grow and develop the way you hoped they would. It's like playing god.

There is nothing like riding a horse you bred for the first time. Nothing.

And of course the glory and riches that inevitably flow your way.

That last bit was a lie.

I *think* mom and dad started breeding as they could not afford to buy the quality of horse that they wanted to compete - but it was before I was born (1970). The same still holds true today, even though we have cut back on breeding a bit - only 1 rear end fits in a saddle at a time and only so many hours in a day. We ride what we breed up the levels and my own personal adventure acquiring a breeding stallion (and FEI horse) in 2004 is heating up more each and every day...

No better feeling (IMO) than cantering down the centerline at a CDI than doing it on a multi-generational homebred. Can't wait to do it again SOON!

L-R Wally and the 3 full siblings that are coming along
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaldaireHalfpass.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	36955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8465s.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	36956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8216s.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	36957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3611.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	36958  
    Last edited by Tasker; Oct. 20, 2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: clarity

I also would like to state...to answer the OPs title question.

Because I want to make it better here in NA!

I take the European model and spin it to a point that it makes sense for the industry here. Who says we can't be as good?

Cheers!
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

We bred warmbloods for many years, and finally quit breeding back in the late 90's. We started focusing more on resales and then we purchased a pony stallion who didn't have a lot of babies on the ground. My husband and I promised each other we'd just put "a few" babies on the ground and then go back to doing resales and stallion services. Sigh! The photos below are why I can't quit breeding ponies!

Name:	izzytrot.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	36965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allywalk1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	36966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vinnystanding.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	36967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocky1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	36968  
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Why do I do it? .... Because I hope to leave my breed a better place than when I found it.

Because the thrill of seeing your own creation competing successfully, or making an owner's dreams come true -- or making your OWN dreams come true -- is priceless.

Because the excitement of waiting for your "perfect match" to take his or her first breath in the world is more exciting than Christmas morning when you're 6.

Because I am addicted to the soft breath and long whiskers and nuzzles of newborn foals as they learn about the world around them.

I live ponies. All day, every day. I have since I was a very little girl -- and I never outgrew it. I'm living my wildest dream -- and I can't imagine anything better.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

We breed for ourselves… to further the bloodlines we have, and improve upon them in each generation. We breed because we love what we have, and in this big crazy impersonal phony world, the moments of joy and genuineness that we have with our dogs and horses are precious beyond words. Animals are the most honest, genuine creatures, what they give you is a reflection of what you give them, and it is the greatest feeling on earth to have a bond with them from birth and to know they trust you.

Below are photos of a few of our horses (or horses we've bred over the years) including our stallion Sandro D running with Titan... and Commander in England, with Alex Hua Tien, and a one of my all-time favorites, our mare Lourdess (by Lord Sinclair). Lourdess has been special to me since the day she was foaled. She is more like a pet dog than a horse to me.

We bred Lourdess and own three generations of her dam line. Lourdess is exactly what we wanted in this generation. Because of various things, including Arthur’s work schedule and military commitments, we had to put our breeding goals on hold for a few years. Lourdess was not started under saddle until she was seven years old. Before that I would sit on her, bareback, from time to time, and ride around the farm a bit, but that was all (and “yes” I realize that this is not the way to start a horse). Still, I was the first to ever sit on Lourdess’ back. You really have to be a breeder, who loves their horses, to appreciate the feeling when the horse you’ve bred and raised will willingly allow you on their back and carry you around. It is like nothing you can buy, there are no short cuts for this feeling.

As a breeder, you have to do the work, take the risks and carry the load, every day, for years, from the idea of the breeding, through conception, foaling, weaning… raising, and training. You watch them grow and mature… surviving the setbacks and challenges along the way. Lourdess has now been with Danielle Veasy for about a year. The photo below is of her with Danielle Veasy at Devon. Danielle also showed her at the Labor of Love shows and the Oldenburg Registry North America Inspection and MPT. We give Danielle lots of credit for how Lourdess is under saddle. Danielle is a very talented trainer and Lourdess has blossomed into such a lovely riding horse. I am amazed at her poise, and how easily she handles all sorts of situations. Lourdess has been shown twice and done well each time. The crowds and 100 degree heat in Raleigh’s Labor of Love shows didn’t faze her a bit. The Dixon Oval at Devon, at night, with the noise, lights and crowds was a walk in the park for her.

I don’t ride often, to be honest, I haven’t ridden in years, but I rode Lourdess yesterday. She was amazing, so forgiving, so balanced and responsive… and so careful with me. It was clear that she was taking care of me, the way I have taken care of her all these years. I give lots of credit to Danielle for how Lourdess is under saddle. Danielle is an amazing trainer, but this mare is everything that Arthur and I ever dreamed of creating … and more. And that is a feeling that only a breeder can feel… and that is why we breed.

Name:	302324_10150280597701502_663936501_8244804_113457097_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	36975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commander 1.55m Amtrust High Jump at Blenheim, UK3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	36976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6719x.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	36977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-17-Sandro-D-312-smuse.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	36979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lourdess at Devon use.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	36980  

Last edited by Cartier; Oct. 20, 2012 at 08:25 AM.

1) Because I'm stupid
    well this covers it about as well as can be!
    I got my first booodmare because I went to look at a Paint breeding farm at a gelding. I did not like the gelding (of riding age/ 3 YO) and fell in love with a newborn filly as her dams side. The dam was older/the farm owner wanted to get rid of her so he would not soon have to carry a retiree so he offered me the package deal of the mare for free as a package deal if I took her with the filly. So...I came home with 2. (The mare ended up having 1 more foal for me, so I ended up with 2 fillies....then the mare did in fact have to be retired). The mare was a half TB Paint and I love sport TBs/there were not a lot of high % TB Paints around/mostly stock types so that my breeding niche. As WBs rose to prominence in the sporthorse breeding world I started crossing my mostly TB Paints on WBs for colored WBs too.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    Because I want to make it better here in NA!

I take the European model and spin it to a point that it makes sense for the industry here. Who says we can't be as good? !
    That has been my goal since starting in 1995 as a green as grass Hanoverian breeder, but as a former rider with a decent eye for a horse and a business plan and an imagined ideal.

I soon learned that breeding is addictive. It also MUST be a learning experience You MUST look hard at your mares and at what they produce.

I love to cook and breeding is a lot like serious cooking. You try a recipe, tweak it and make it better, tweak it again and make it even better. Get one that is reliably excellent and repeat it. But, man those recipes take a long time to cook.

For me it is a labor of love and cutting back due to age and circumstances has not been easy.

IMO, the best breeders are trying to improve their breed.

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    Why do I do it? .... Because I hope to leave my breed a better place than when I found it.

Because the thrill of seeing your own creation competing successfully, or making an owner's dreams come true -- or making your OWN dreams come true -- is priceless.

Because the excitement of waiting for your "perfect match" to take his or her first breath in the world is more exciting than Christmas morning when you're 6.

Because I am addicted to the soft breath and long whiskers and nuzzles of newborn foals as they learn about the world around them.

I live ponies. All day, every day. I have since I was a very little girl -- and I never outgrew it. I'm living my wildest dream -- and I can't imagine anything better.
    rideagoldenpony, said it 100% better than I. Except that, I live Hanoverian horses. Otherwise, ditto, ditto, ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post

Me three!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    rideagoldenpony, said it 100% better than I. Except that, I live Hanoverian horses. Otherwise, ditto, ditto, ditto.
    Triple agree only I chose the elusive "hunter" as a goal since my mom showed hunters, I showed hunters ....dang....hunters. Only I wonder now if a colossal mistake. .....for my ultimate retirement from work plan! Like ML love me a Hanoverian once I moved on from my beloved TBs of yesteryear ( hence "don't look back" farm name).

But hmm, I see more TBs in my future....who knows

Good posts all!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Not only when they arrive, but every time I get an e-mail from a happy owner, I'm reminded why I do it. I was just lucky enough to be invited by the owner of a 4yr old we bred and sold early to the west coast to come see him grown up while there on a family trip. It was very satisfying seeing him and her smile talking about him

1 person at a time, I hope to show that quality Irish horses can be found in the US.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook