The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    However, I concede I do not know Florida weather, and Florida storms, so that also may be a key element to deciding if boarders bringing in is normal or unusual.
    It kinda is. I lived in VA for most of my life and never had a problem with my horses out in storms up there. Down here horrible lighting is unpredictable and violent (hard to describe).

I never had anything struck when I was in VA 26yrs. But being down here have had my car, tree in front yard and almost my horse (2 ft behind her) in 6yrs.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I'm sort of in a unique situation because I've owned horses for over 20 years, but am a first time boarder.

Most of my horses are kept at my parents' house and are on 24/7 turn out. They have a barn they can go into if they so choose... the only time I ever really see them in if is if it's REALLY windy and cold (I'm in Northern WI) or during the summer to get out of the flies.

My new horse is kept at a barn closer to me. I pay for "box stall board" which is $75 per month more than pasture board. The pasture board horses are out all the time but do have 3 sided shelters to go into if they so choose. I never see them in.

The horses that are on box stall board have a separate pasture that doesn't have a shelter (though it has a strong "tree line" area for shelter). The BO was very up front about how things work. She said she does bring them in for bad weather (snow, rain, cold wind, etc.) but if the weather isn't terrible and she is out on errands, she won't rush back to the barn immediately to put them in, so they may be out in the occasional rainfall/light snow. In case of lightning/bad storms, she would drop everything and get back to put them in. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me... but I suppose to some people it might be horrible to think of their horses out in any kind of bad weather. I was always raised to see horses as livestock rather than pets... in actuality I think I view them as a combination of the two.

If it is storming out, I would expect the barn to bring my horse in or not put him out in the first place. If it is just raining, I would want him in a waterproof turnout sheet and wouldn't mind if he stayed out so long as it is not a cold rain. If it is a cold rain/cold day, I would not want him out in the rain unless he had shelter (which most of the paddocks at my barn do not have).

I would expect to be able to bring my horse in whenever I wanted and, no, I would not expect to pay more because I brought him in. Now, if I was bringing him in all the time for no good reason, then that might be a different story, but I can't see myself doing that anyway. IMO, bringing horses in because of a thunder/lightning storm IS a good reason to bring them in - particularly if there is no shelter outside.

From the OP, it sounds like you are irriated with your boarder. Why don't you just talk to the boarder about expectations instead of asking for opinions from people whose boarding situations differ from your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    My horses are out in everything but the most extreme weather. I have a large run in shed and I blanket appropriately, so I see no reason why they should come in.

If I know a huge storm is coming or crazy wind/rain I will bring them in, but pop up storm or rain? I'm not endangering myself to trudge out to the run in, halter them all, and bring them in, just to have them worked up because they aren't outside.

I don't care if a boarder wants to bring in their horse early or leave them in for a few hours during some rain or snow that I would keep them out in. However they better clean their own stall, refill hay, and dump water buckets. I dont want extra work created because Dobbin's owners decided to bring him in due to a few afternoon showers.

But like I said, all of mine have adequate shelter outside.
    Same here They only come in if its raining and cold. Otherwise they are out 24/7

Mine have shelter outside and stay out 24/7. It's a different story if there is no shelter outside. In the past, when I was boarding, I worried a lot more about my horse being out in the blazing sun all day without shelter, than I would when it was raining/downpour, etc.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Mine are at home, but they have shelter and are out 24/7. If I were boarding, I would not expect them to be brought in unless there was no shelter available to them in the pasture.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My BO leaves my 3 in if it is going to rain or raining. They don't go out in the rain, or when it is snowing. When it is muddy they stay in because of their shoes etc. I have never been charged extra or had to clean my stall myself. I of course get this approved before boarding my horse at a facility. It doesn't cost me any extra. In the winter they are in quite a bit compared to summer time. I know many boarding places that accomodate this. In my opinion my boarding place should take care of my horses the way I want them cared for, if not I don't board there.

I remember when I met Mr. FG, and he was living on a farm with a large herd, and they had the run of about 100 acres. I was like ZOMG those ponies live out in the Rain/Snow?! With NO BLANKETS?! They did have access to shelter, but rarely used it. It was a lesson to me, that given enough pasture and shelter, they really do just fine living out 24/7 even in crap weather.

However... up here, boarding barns greatly limit their turnout from Novemeber - April, but more because they don't have adequate pasture to accommodate/rotate horses 12 months a year, and thus end up with a lot of mud and ice.

But frankly I'd much rather have my horse OUT as much as possible.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabX3 View Post
    My BO leaves my 3 in if it is going to rain or raining. They don't go out in the rain, or when it is snowing. When it is muddy they stay in because of their shoes etc. I have never been charged extra or had to clean my stall myself. I of course get this approved before boarding my horse at a facility. It doesn't cost me any extra. In the winter they are in quite a bit compared to summer time. I know many boarding places that accomodate this. In my opinion my boarding place should take care of my horses the way I want them cared for, if not I don't board there.
    Do you mind if I ask, why? I understand keeping them in if it's really muddy and they tend to pull shoes, but why do you keep them out of the rain/snow?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Rainy and cold? Yes, I bring them in, or don't let them out in the first place. May toss sheets on and kick them out if I want to do stalls in peace, then bring them back in.

Rainy and warm? They stay out. If it's cooler, but not cold, or they have their winter coats coming in, I'll toss a sheet on them. They're horses, they don't melt.
    This.

I feel like my boarders should trust my opinion on when they should be out/in. LIke the above poster said, they are horses, they don't melt. If a boarder texted me that they came out, got fluffy out of the field and put fluffy in stall with hay (most likely way too much hay), ya, I'd be pissed, and would feel the need to go see how much/what kind of hay fluffy has, make sure the doors are shut, lights are off, etc... Yes, I am OCD. I does generate more work for me, but its not a huge deal. What really gets me is THAT boarder that if there is a sprinkle, feels the need to go wrap fluffy in 16 blankets, hoods, liners, etc...to the point that they are hot and sweating under them. Sorry I got OT.

Now, if fluffy's owner texted me that fluffy, and 5 of fluffy's closest friends had been brought in and given hay, I would be out there putting them all right back out. That decision is between me and the owner, it is not up to boarders to get together and decide for the barn. If my turnout policies don't jive with the owner's, maybe I am not the right barn for you. I used to have a boarder that would call/text me ALL THE TIME and say, oh, hi, it's raining in the next city over, are my horses inside? Can you bring them inside? Can I bring them inside? Can my mom come over and bring them inside? I gave them 3 bales of hay too, hope that's ok!" *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    This.

I feel like my boarders should trust my opinion on when they should be out/in. LIke the above poster said, they are horses, they don't melt. If a boarder texted me that they came out, got fluffy out of the field and put fluffy in stall with hay (most likely way too much hay), ya, I'd be pissed, and would feel the need to go see how much/what kind of hay fluffy has, make sure the doors are shut, lights are off, etc... Yes, I am OCD. I does generate more work for me, but its not a huge deal. What really gets me is THAT boarder that if there is a sprinkle, feels the need to go wrap fluffy in 16 blankets, hoods, liners, etc...to the point that they are hot and sweating under them. Sorry I got OT.

Now, if fluffy's owner texted me that fluffy, and 5 of fluffy's closest friends had been brought in and given hay, I would be out there putting them all right back out. That decision is between me and the owner, it is not up to boarders to get together and decide for the barn. If my turnout policies don't jive with the owner's, maybe I am not the right barn for you. I used to have a boarder that would call/text me ALL THE TIME and say, oh, hi, it's raining in the next city over, are my horses inside? Can you bring them inside? Can I bring them inside? Can my mom come over and bring them inside? I gave them 3 bales of hay too, hope that's ok!" *facepalm*
    This.

I may bring in early, but I tend to not change the horses schedule much for rain. Toss a sheet/blanket on if needed. If a boarder wants to bring their horses in, they can do that, but they are responisible for cleaning the stall if they would normally be out at that time. It is written in to the contract/rules. Boarders who make this a HABIT are also required to provide their own hay for that time or pay extra for hay. (we have good grass, so if they normally would be out during that time, they would not be consuming hay). Of course BAD weather, they come in, but that isn't often around here. All the fields have either a run-in or natural shelter (tree lines). I find the horses are happier blanketed as needed and outside.

SAULTGIRL - they are show horses and are blanketed year around. They are under lights so they do not get winter coats and their barn is heated. They go out when the snow is on the ground, but not when it is snowing. They also don't go out when it is 25 degrees or below - they always get out each day for exercise. They are all sound and healthy - the oldest 25. If they can't get outside they play in the indoor arena.

21 horses, and 8 stalls; not enough stalls for all the horses, and yet the survive just fine.

My horses go out year round regardless of the weather. They don't freak out in the lightening, or shiver in the snow. They are horses and they are used to weather. They have shelters, most have blankets, and they would rather be outside then in their stalls.

Now if a horse is shivering in the wet snow/freezing rain because they lack a rain sheet and weren't smart enough to get out of the rain, then I may bring them in long enough to dry off, and then send them out with a blanket. Same if it is just too hot for them outside; I may bring them in and let them cool off for a bit.

I would not be impressed if a customer decided to bring in all the horses because of the weather. If they wanted to bring in their own horse, or if someone asked them to bring in their horse, that would be fine (providing they were inside boarders), but otherwise they should communicate their concerns with me, and allow me to deal with it.

Now if I boarded at one of the many barns that don't have any shelters in their private pens my answer may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    I feel like my boarders should trust my opinion on when they should be out/in.
    Absolutely! I trust the BO to know what's best for my horse. If I didn't, I wouldn't be boarding at her barn.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    21 horses, and 8 stalls; not enough stalls for all the horses, and yet the survive just fine.
    My barn has 10 stalls and 43 horses.

I don't mind my horses being out in most rain as long as they have sheets on and shelter of some sort in the field. I want them in if it's a very severe storm and/or thunder/lightning. Current barn brings them in if the weather gets bad, leaves them out in basic rain. I am fine with that. Former barn had them out NO MATTER the weather and there were more than a few issues. I prefer horses come in when it gets very bad.

We don't get an extra much automatically when that happens, but if someone is around and thinks of it-- they usually do it and throw a little hay too. No guaranteed but it usually happens. I always muck when I go out and ride at night, so mine always get an extra stall cleaning even on a normal day. That's just me. I can't out a horse back in a dirty stall, that just seems wrong!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Coming from the PNW... The horses would be locked in stalls 9 months a year if we brought them in every time it rained That said, if it's a serious downpour, like rain coming down in sheets, they usually come in. If it's excessively windy or on the rare occasions we have thunder/lightning they DEFINITELY come in. It doesn't snow often but they will go out in the snow. It usually gets icy when the snow starts to melt though and in that case they stay in until the ice has melted and it's safe again. The barn staff usually picks out the stalls a second time in the afternoon if they have to stay in. I will pick my own stall when I'm out in the evening as well just to help out a bit.

These questions are very barn and location specific. In some areas, if you ran out to put horses up every time a sudden storm popped up on the radar, you could be wasting days of your life playing musical horses, or you could end up keeping horses in for weeks at a time during mostly nice weather. So, in some situations it could be a very unrealistic burden for barn staff, or result in a less healthy situation for the horses.

IME, horses don't melt or blow away. If a horse is visibly shivering or upset, yes, they should come in, and next time get a turnout sheet or blanket. Some horses need to be protected because they've been clipped or have skin issues. However, horses actually generally are more comfortable at lower temps than humans are. We've all witnessed the phenomenon where horses stand happily out in the rain rather than go in a shed. Turnout is a healthy thing for horses, and I think it is worth risking exposure to some rain and an occasional storm to make sure horses get some time outside each day.

Realistically, unless the horses appear uncomfortable, or the location is prone to dangerous lightening strikes, I think that it is fine to err on the side of leaving horses out.

As far as boarders taking matters into their own hands, that really depends on the barn. I wouldn't care if a boarder brought their own special needs horse in during bad weather, but I don't want boarders making decisions for other horses or handling other boarders' horses. People doing things a different way from how the barn runs can be a source of problems, it's better to board at a place that has a similar outlook on horse care.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Coming from the PNW... The horses would be locked in stalls 9 months a year if we brought them in every time it rained
    I was just about to say.... Though I understand that FL weather is a little different.

Mine stay out and do just fine. Given the choice my gelding will stand outside 99% of the time.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Those posting that they bring their horses in during inclement weather, do you have any shelter outside? If so, what kind? Tree line? Run-in? Other?

Thanks!

I'm really curious because around here, if horses have shelter outside, you hardly ever see them in because of weather.

Also, if you have pasture boarded horses, I'm assuming they still stay out?
    We have no shelters, no run-ins and no trees in our pastures hence the reason ours come in when it gets nasty. Rainy and warm, they stay out. Rainy and cool, the horses in the geriatric field come in. Rainy and cold, they all come in. Lightening, they all come in same in extreme heat or cold.

Some BOs are piping in (rightfully so) about how they'd be perturbed if a boarder were to bring in their horses and hay them because of weather. I only bring some or all of them all in when I know BO would want them in but she doesn't happen to be there. Like if a big nasty storm is blowing up and I know she won't be home in time to get them in. Just as I trust her judgement on the matter she also trusts mine, I care for the entire barn while she is away at shows for days, sometimes a week, at a time so I guess it's a little different. I know the feeding schedule, I know how much hay each horse gets through the day, I know the whole routine fairly well after doing it for well over a decade.

Just curious to the BOs contributing...would you feel the same way if it were a boarder that also worked for you and took care of the barn while you were away, who you trusted to do what they know you'd want done? If the person brought the horses in for a valid reason because you weren't going to be there?

Mine stay out if it's only raining. I will bring them in if it's thundering or really windy (with rain.)

I have nice big hedges though so they can easily find shelter. Plus sheds in some of the paddocks.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!