The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saddle bumps?

My mare has developed some bumps on her back, mostly on one side.
    I am wondering if they are 'saddle bumps'?

If they were from the saddle rubbing or moving what would they look like?
    My saddle was new last year and seemed to fit well.

If these are friction bumps what are my options?

thanks

The bumps can be from numerous things but yes, chances are they are the result of some shifting or sliding. My horse developed some rather large bumps and they seemed to appear overnight. When I thought about it I realized the only thing I changed was the saddle pad. Went from a white pad with large quilt to small diamonds which happened to be black. Ditched the pad and eventually all but one or two of the bumps went away. I now use only natural cotton felt pads...no diamonds, no quilting but it's uber thick and launders beautifully.
    "Every little girl wants a pony so why should big girls be any different???"

my friend's horse develops bumps like that under the saddle on occasion. For her, it's either due to poor saddle fit, or dirty saddle pads. They are like pea-sized nodules, and they go away when she has the vet inject them.

Quote Originally Posted by Samigator View Post
    my friend's horse develops bumps like that under the saddle on occasion. For her, it's either due to poor saddle fit, or dirty saddle pads. They are like pea-sized nodules, and they go away when she has the vet inject them.
    my mare had these years ago right after i first got her. the vet said we could inject them or use topical dmso and see if they went away, which they did. she's gotten one in the last year, but it went away on it's own as well.

I found since I have adopted the practice of lifting the saddle briefly after undoing the girth and then replace for a few minutes has preventing these bumps from occurring. My first horse had the bumps but never afterwards. I have had horses for 40 years and have not had these bumps occur since. The idea, told to me many years ago, was that the weight of the saddle and rider caused the blood vessels to be pressed upon restricting blood flow. The sudden release of blood after removing the saddle caused the bumps. I don't know if this is true, scientifically, but the fact that none of my horses has had them since leads to some credibility.
    \"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.\" Charles Dickens

Interesting about the saddle pad. I have used a diamond stitch pad, which is also black, occasionally in the past few weeks.

I have three that I use regularly, use one, then the other then wash two use the third.

Another thing I have changed is leaving the saddle on while I clean it. I used to pull it off right away, leave the pad on till the back temperature adjusted then take the pad off.
    Lately I have been leaving the saddle on while I clean so the back is staying hotter longer.

flamenco, is the saddle pad the only thing you changed? Same saddle?

thanks.

Exclamation

There is also a type of parasite, we've always called them "warbles". They appear as pea sized bumps on horse sides flanks and back. If undisturbed they go away, but may leave a temporary hairless "pit" however if under the saddle they tend to hang around and look ugly for a long time. Some even break open, requiring notched out cushions under the saddle pads. I've noticed them mostly on brown and dark bay horses.

I haven't seen them in my barn in over 20 years, but have seen them on horses elsewhere.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by flamenco horse View Post
    I now use only natural cotton felt pads...no diamonds, no quilting but it's uber thick and launders beautifully.
    I'm interested in hearing more about the pads you use. I've been buying cotton pads that get pilly on the surface after a few launderings.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

My gelding had them and the saddle fitter said it was from my saddle being too wide and shifting too much on his back. I switched saddles, bumps went away and have never come back.

Quote Originally Posted by colorfan View Post
    My mare has developed some bumps on her back, mostly on one side.
    I am wondering if they are 'saddle bumps'?

If they were from the saddle rubbing or moving what would they look like?
    My saddle was new last year and seemed to fit well.

If these are friction bumps what are my options?

thanks
    if one has bump then you need to have your saddle looked as it might need flocking horses change shape year in year out, and so do you as not fitting her as it should ill fitting tack is doing her back in

your horse needs time of now about 2mths for the bumps to go
    if you dont do this then you will get perminant back damage

the lumps are pressure sores - if you dont rest her they wont go
    she time off to heal

IME, blue emu cream helps get rid of friction bumps --

A well fitting saddle is the key to avoiding them -- Had a friend whose horse came back from a trainer with a really bad case (some were rubbed open) -- She bought a saddle with CAIR panels, and the horse's back cleared up entirely --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Quote Originally Posted by colorfan View Post
    flamenco, is the saddle pad the only thing you changed? Same saddle?

thanks.
    Yes, that's all I changed. The bumps appeared rather suddenly and a few were actually quite large so my vet injected them without any margin of improvement. It wasn't until I went to the cotton felt pad did they begin to reduce in size. The pads are a bit pricey, mine are custom to my horse, but they launder beautifully and I made sure I have one for every day of the week. Wash and throw in the dryer baby...love that!

As for saddle fit...I get my saddle refitted about twice a year so I was fairly sure it wasn't the source of the trouble, but if you suspect it could be your saddle it would be far better to explore the fitting option rather than throw $60 at a new saddle pad.

Good luck. Would love to hear what has worked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    I'm interested in hearing more about the pads you use. I've been buying cotton pads that get pilly on the surface after a few launderings.
    They have a flannel and a felt option. I use the felt. These do not pill no matter how many times they're washed and the fact they preshrink the material allows you to throw them in the dryer, actually it's recommended to keep them soft and supple. I do not use any type of fabric softener and have found it's not needed anyway. These are hands down the best saddle pad I've ever come across.

You can have the billet holders placed anywhere on the pad to correctly conform to your billets, go high whither or not, and even change the length or depth of the pad if needed. I had mine within 10 days of ordering and they are made to order.

http://www.seamsright.com/flannel_pads.htm

would love to have a saddle fitter look at the saddle.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flamenco horse View Post
    SCHOOLING FLANNEL $59
    * D I S C O N T I N U E D *
    We can no longer find / buy this fabric
    due to so many mills closing in the USA!

2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    SCHOOLING FLANNEL $59
    * D I S C O N T I N U E D *
    We can no longer find / buy this fabric
    due to so many mills closing in the USA!

I never had one in flannel. The felt is wonderful!

I went looking but I couldn't find a felt pad of any kind listed.

Here's the link to the cotton felt.

http://www.seamsright.com/cotton_fleece.htm

I will second Flamenco's recommendation of these pads. (LOL especially since I told her about them in the first place!) They are not really felt, but are thick and cushy and conform beautifully to any horse and saddle combo. They wear like iron, and come in an eggshell/creamy color, but eventually fade to white. I use mine as show pads, and the bit of black from my boots always comes out with normal washing.

I have used other flannel/felt pads, and they always pill, stain, and deform in the laundry. Hands down, these are the best.

I did have some minor 'bump' issues years ago on my warmblood gelding, and it was recommended by the vet that I wash his pads in Dreft laundry detergent. The bumps went away, but I also got my saddle refitted around the same time, so it is hard to say if the detergent really made a difference.