The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage in Palos Verdes, California

Hi, I currently ride dressage and show at fourth level. I am looking at possibly taking a job and relocating to near the Long Beach/Palos Verdes area. However, I don't know anything about FEI trainers or barns in the area and would like to ask if anyone would have any suggestions for me. Thank you for any information you might have!

Christina

Here's a good place to look...

http://www.pvcds.com/index.htm

I lived in the area as a kid. You'll enjoy it!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I sent you a PM.

A good friend of mine is a H/J trainer in PV, I will ask her for recommendations.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

There is a very active CDS chapter with several meetings a year (link provided by TheHorseProblem in post 2, though some of the pages look pretty out of date). The members include several judges, including two S-level judges. The email I just got describing an upcoming meeting reads as follows: We are trying to plan the next meeting which will be the last one before our Holiday/Christmas Party in December. The topic with be: “Developing Your Dressage Eye.” We’ll show videos of rides (if there are the Olympics rides available, we’ll use those) and have our three members who are judges (Carol Hoffman, Louise Koch and Ken Anderson) provide their comments, but also invite questions, comments and observations from our members. It is intended to be a real learning experience. Hopefully, we can get a better understanding of the meaning of things like “thoroughness,” “on the bit,” “submission,” “correct shoulder in,” “pushing from behind,” etc.

There are frequent clinics, both with clinicians that come regularly as a one-time special deal. Recent ones have included Louise Koch, Gil Merrick and Rebecca Rigdon. There are local trainers that work out of the local public rings that include one facility with a full-size dressage arena and another with a small arena as well as out of arenas in "backyards."

I think that the only boarding facility (not a backyard) that has a dressage trainer is Portuguese Bend (http://www.ridingatpbrc.com) but I am not 100% certain that they do. Consequently there are a number of people who end up traveling out of the area if they want their horse to be at a facility with full training for them and their horse. This is true for both HJ and dressage. OTOH, if you are a bit more of a do-it-yourself type person you can find backyards with nice-sized paddock/stall combinations, tons of trails to ride on, and a selection of trainers and rings.
    The Evil Chem Prof