The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Frivolous, but are my pants too big and boots too short?

I know these are silly questions- but are my pants too big and boots too short? I am preparing for Christmas and trying to prioritize what to ask husband for . I know this is a frivolous topic, but I was looking at this picture and felt like my pants look a little too sloppy compared to other people's pics from the same show. Also, I have been trying to justify the expense of new boots to myself- the pair in this picture is about 12 yrs old now and I feel like boot styles have changed a bit with the spanish tops and very fitted look. These are pull ons so less fitted around the ankle than new boots. I am a bit, erm, fluffy in the thigh area so tend not to get super tight pants, but now thinking I look a tad wrinkly. I also have short legs, so anything that can make me look a bit more elegant is a plus .

I hope it is OK that I linked to this picture on the photogs website- not trying to steal a photo:

http://annegittins.com/Proofs/2012%2...A-014-12SS.JPG

New pants, for sure.

I think with snugger pants, the boots would look more normal, but with those they do look a touch short. If you have shorter legs, I'd try a euroseat... I've found that they really do make the leg look a little longer. You don't need to get them SUPER snug, but they are a more snug fit than the breeches in the picture you linked by a decent bit. I'd try that and then see if the boots still look too short.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

The boots actually don't look short to me at all. They just don't have spanish tops... if you look on the side of her calf vs the front, the boot goes right up behind her knee. The pants just look sloppy, IMO. And Clinton and Stacy always say that baggy clothes make you look bigger!

I find that the higher end breeches tend to make my fluffy areas look less lumpy. I like tailored sportsman ts trophy hunter. I am vertically challenged and find low rises fit me like normal rise.

Btw, you look great in that photo. Happy riding!
    Rule 1- Keep the horse between you and the ground.

Cute horse, and you look great! Definitely new pants though. I love the TS Trophy Hunter mid rise front zips for showing. They are the only breeches I feel like I actually look good in now that I'm older and thicker in the middle. The lady at Dover said they are like the jeans in that movie "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants" because they make everyone look good- and they fit so much better than the regular TS or Royal Hunter's. Smartpak has them for about $149 with free shipping.

The breeches in this picture are low rise TS Supreme Hunters, but maybe I'll go try on some euro seats- I like the look of the Trophy Hunters, I think it is. TS tend to fit me the best IMO (although clearly not this pair, lol). A friend with a similar build to mine was wearing euro seat breeches the other day and I remember thinking they were flattering.

Note to self, just because they look OK standing up at the store it doesn't mean they'll look good once you're in a riding position . I think I have a new test for trying on pants, crouch into riding position and see what happens.

Good luck shopping! I agree with previous posters, new pants!

Your boots look as if they are classic and fit well.

I haven't used the TS Supremes, but I never liked the original Supreme Hunters b/c the fabric did just what it's doing in your picture. i would try either a size smaller in that breech if you like them or go to a different fabric. I agree that the breeches are what's making the boot fit look odd. And, yes, you and your horse look wonderful and no, you're not "fluffy!"
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Cute horse. Yes, time for a new pair of pants. I think the boots look okay. The really high spanish tops are in style at the moment, but your boots are fine.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Boots are fine, pants are a little baggy. If they don't shrink with first wash or cleaning, they could be taken in slightly. Unless you're looking for an excuse to go out and buy something new (Euro seat trendiness, for example), these breeches would still be perfectly appropriate with a little (inexpensive) tailoring.

Some of the newer, more exaggerated Spanish tops are almost comically tall, IMO.

Well, the important thing is....your horse is beautiful! And you look like you ride him (?) well. Nice pair.

I agree, get new breeches. It looks like they are also very baggy in the knee area. I think it would take too much to totally alter these all over to make them fit. A new pair is definitely in order. The boots are fine if you can only buy one or the other. Get the breeches. And good luck!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

New breeches! I think the boots look pretty good.

You and your horse look great, however, baggy pants or not!

Thank you for all the nice comments, frumpy pants and all .

This horse is the love of my equine life, so glad to hear people think she is cute! I am quite partial to her.