The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rehoming a dog and irritated

I have been trying to rehome my dog for a while now. She is a good dog for someone without kids. She is protective and has shown to be slightly aggressive. It's not going to work out here with two 2 year old girls and lots of people traffic coming and going. She has gone after 3 people now and I am not going to wait for her to bite someone. She is really a great dog if she knows and trusts you, but she does not like strangers, and I would not trust her around little kids in case they accidently stepped on her tail or something. No hurry, been putting the word out to friends. Tried CL and didn't have any luck. Not going to give her to the first person that comes along. I have had her a year and took her out of a bad situation.

An acquaintance of mine on facebook, well she was suppose to be a friend, asked if she could contact a local rescue. This person has crossed the line before with my animals. She gets a little obsessed and will start coming over every day to make sure my animals are watered and have food because once she came over and the dog knocked over her water dish and it was empty. So ever since she thinks I don't feed and water my animals. I also don't let my cats and dogs eat free choice. I feed them morning and night the recommended amount. So yes their food dish will be empty during the day.

I told this person to go ahead and ask the rescue, but they needed to take her right away and make it a quick deal. I didn't want a lot of hassle with them just because I know how it can get. Well, this morning I get on facebook and see pictures of my dog posted with "URGENT! Needs home today or will go to the animal shelter!" WTF. I look on the rescue's facebook page and see comments such as "look at the before and after pics of this dog, very very sad." Ok there are NO before and after pics. Also get comments that there is something wrong with her paw and the dog needs to see a vet immediately. The only thing going on with her paw is that it is white. These people are going to come over and feed my dog today because she is hungry and starving. I am just blown away by all the comments on one picture of my dog. And they have labeled me as the dog abuser of the century. I post a message to set them straight that the dog is not an urgent case, she is not starving and NO ONE is welcome to come over and feed her. I asked them to remove my dog off of their page because I do not need to be torn apart by people I don't even know. They agreed to take the post off. But boy that sure did upset me this morning! I wonder how many people they do this to, and do they know they are potentially endangering the dogs life? If it weren't me, someone else would rather take the dog up to the shelter because it would be easier and they wouldn't have to deal with all the verbal abuse online.

I couldn't get a hold of this acquaintance so I sent her a facebook message and asked her not to be involved in rehoming this dog and not to come over to feed my animals again. I also stated how unhappy I was with the way I was being talked about on facebook. The info the rescue got was from her, and she failed to mention to the rescue that the dog is slightly aggressive and should not be in a home with small kids. She was only quick to point out that the dogs food dish was empty on Sunday when she came over to give her chicken bones. YES chicken bones. When I got home Sunday night I had a message from her saying she was bringing chicken scraps over for the cats and chicken bones for the dogs. Really? She didn't ask, just told. So when I got home she had already been here without my permission. I messaged her back and said we don't feed our animals that kind of food and especially don't feed the dogs bones like that. I think and hope I made myself clear today that she is not welcome to come over here again. She is still not home but I want to also tell her this in person or on the phone to really get my point across.

This is just really irritating to me. She crosses the line all the time, even at barns she goes and feeds horses treats when there is a sign that says no treats. She is that person. She also is the one I posted about last year that dropped a cat off at my friends house. I recognized the cat and we took the cat back to her. She denies to this day that she dropped off the cat at my friends house. A few months later that cat had to be put down due to FeLV.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    I have been trying to rehome my dog for a while now. She is a good dog for someone without kids. She is protective and has shown to be slightly aggressive. It's not going to work out here with two 2 year old girls and lots of people traffic coming and going. She has gone after 3 people now and I am not going to wait for her to bite someone. She is really a great dog if she knows and trusts you, but she does not like strangers, and I would not trust her around little kids in case they accidently stepped on her tail or something. No hurry, been putting the word out to friends. Tried CL and didn't have any luck. Not going to give her to the first person that comes along. I have had her a year and took her out of a bad situation.

An acquaintance of mine on facebook, well she was suppose to be a friend, asked if she could contact a local rescue. This person has crossed the line before with my animals. She gets a little obsessed and will start coming over every day to make sure my animals are watered and have food because once she came over and the dog knocked over her water dish and it was empty. So ever since she thinks I don't feed and water my animals. I also don't let my cats and dogs eat free choice. I feed them morning and night the recommended amount. So yes their food dish will be empty during the day.

I told this person to go ahead and ask the rescue, but they needed to take her right away and make it a quick deal. I didn't want a lot of hassle with them just because I know how it can get. Well, this morning I get on facebook and see pictures of my dog posted with "URGENT! Needs home today or will go to the animal shelter!" WTF. I look on the rescue's facebook page and see comments such as "look at the before and after pics of this dog, very very sad." Ok there are NO before and after pics. Also get comments that there is something wrong with her paw and the dog needs to see a vet immediately. The only thing going on with her paw is that it is white. These people are going to come over and feed my dog today because she is hungry and starving. I am just blown away by all the comments on one picture of my dog. And they have labeled me as the dog abuser of the century. I post a message to set them straight that the dog is not an urgent case, she is not starving and NO ONE is welcome to come over and feed her. I asked them to remove my dog off of their page because I do not need to be torn apart by people I don't even know. They agreed to take the post off. But boy that sure did upset me this morning! I wonder how many people they do this to, and do they know they are potentially endangering the dogs life? If it weren't me, someone else would rather take the dog up to the shelter because it would be easier and they wouldn't have to deal with all the verbal abuse online.

I couldn't get a hold of this acquaintance so I sent her a facebook message and asked her not to be involved in rehoming this dog and not to come over to feed my animals again. I also stated how unhappy I was with the way I was being talked about on facebook. The info the rescue got was from her, and she failed to mention to the rescue that the dog is slightly aggressive and should not be in a home with small kids. She was only quick to point out that the dogs food dish was empty on Sunday when she came over to give her chicken bones. YES chicken bones. When I got home Sunday night I had a message from her saying she was bringing chicken scraps over for the cats and chicken bones for the dogs. Really? She didn't ask, just told. So when I got home she had already been here without my permission. I messaged her back and said we don't feed our animals that kind of food and especially don't feed the dogs bones like that. I think and hope I made myself clear today that she is not welcome to come over here again. She is still not home but I want to also tell her this in person or on the phone to really get my point across.

This is just really irritating to me. She crosses the line all the time, even at barns she goes and feeds horses treats when there is a sign that says no treats. She is that person. She also is the one I posted about last year that dropped a cat off at my friends house. I recognized the cat and we took the cat back to her. She denies to this day that she dropped off the cat at my friends house. A few months later that cat had to be put down due to FeLV.

Well, after reading this, I'm left with, "why did you let this happen in the first place?"

Why on earth would you let someone who keeps over-stepping boundaries help you out? To me that is a recipe for disaster already. You knew this person already thought you didn't take good care of your animals, I don't understand why you would give her an opportunity like this. Letting her contact a rescue means the dog needs to be RESCUED. As in, you don't want/can't take care of the dog, and need to get rid of it.

Also, why do you let this person overstep boundaries constantly? IIWY I would not have allowed this person on my property daily, especially not to check to make sure animals are fed and watered. She sounds like a drama queen who wants to make something out of nothing.

Also, personally, I would not be comfortable re-homing a dog that had shown aggressive tendencies. The dog may be very nice, but once the dog leaves, you can't control what happens to her. She could go to someone who decides she is too much and dumps her at AC...who will probably put her down. What if she went after her new owner? I'm not sure if they would get anywhere trying to sue you, but it has to be a possibility. No matter what lengths you go to, to ensure a proper home, you can't control everything.
    She has gone after 3 people now and I am not going to wait for her to bite someone.
    This right here makes me think you are irresponsible to want to re-home her.

You are going to have an uphill battle placing this dog. My parents had an Airdale that I bought them( as a pup) who just didn't like kids and she would bite if given the right situation. They had to remove her anytime children were around. I think trying to re-home a dog like that isn't a great idea, just because she is aggressive.

Your face book crazy person sounds like a nightmare you can't wake up from.

I wish you all the best with both situations.

My last dog I had for 16 years and the most she would do was bark. This dog raises her hair and growls. That is what is aggressive about her. She has never bit or tried to bite. Sorry if I made it sound that way. To me that is aggressive enough, and since she is very shy I don't think she would like little kids all up in her face. Not all dogs are meant for little kids. She is a great dog for the right people. She is going to the vet tomorrow and I will see what he thinks about her behavior and what to do from there. So what is the responsible thing to do with a dog that growls and raises her hair? I am not going to keep her here with kids or strangers coming and going. Is PTS the responsible thing to do? Don't know, never been in this situation with a dog. To me they all have teeth and they all bite.

I knew posting this I would get flamed for it. Was looking more to vent then for any answers. If I kept ever single animal that ever walked onto this farm and didn't try to rehome it I would be the next hoarder on the news tonight with umpteen dogs and a bazillion cats and kittens and horses out of control living under pallets. So I don't really have that many animals living under pallets, just to clarify, but if I kept every one then I would.

The person recommended the rescue, not because the dog needed to be rescued, but because they could screen homes for her. She made it sound good and sensible. We all do stupid things. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Of course why would I let it happen to me.

So sorry, OP. That is a tough position to be in. I had a similar dog and couldn't rehome him for anything. People are quick to say you are to blame but then not quick to take the dog off your hands.

Mine lived on the other side of baby gates from my kid for years. He was only kid-aggressive but when you have kids that's a big deal.

Is she any specific breed, or a mix with a particular breed? I've found that breed-specific rescues tend to be particularly willing to post courtesy listings.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

You say in your original post she has gone after 3 people. To me "going after" someone is physically going after someone. If this is the case then YES, it would be more responsible IMO to PTS rather than attempt to re-home her. If not, then perhaps an appropriate home can be found, perhaps not. It won't be easy though as "not friendly with kids" raises red flags for a lot of people.

I understand your point about a rescue screening homes, but trying to look at it from the bat$hit crazy acquaintance of yours, well rescue could likely mean last resort.

From what I can tell, this acquaintance of yours has already, not so subtly, hinted that she thinks you are a less than stellar owner. Whether you are or aren't isn't important, it SOUNDS like she thinks you don't care for your animals. IIWY I would've severely limited all contact with her from that point on. I wouldn't want someone like that sniffing around my property, looking for reasons to say I'm not a good dog/horse/cat/whatever owner. It just seems like common sense to me.
    Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about this now, but it is something to consider in the future.

Nobody is trying to flame you, but reading the whole post, it really sounds like you had warnings something like this would happen, and you either didn't see it or ignored it.

I hope you find the dog a great home! Is she mixed breed? Purebred? If you know her breeding at all, you could check with breed rescues to see if they will screen adopters or know of someone looking for a dog.

I don't think there needs to be any shame for you! When I was a kid my mom rehomed successfully a lab who growled at kids and strangers, as she HAD kids and a brownie troop! the dog was fine in a place like where we have-lots of room, no kids, slow pace. Or what fordtraktr did, set up baby gates. Your acquaintance sounds like a nightmare but I can see how it sounded reasonable! Live and learn! I hope things work out with your dog!

How the heck is this person getting into your home to feed chicken bones (or anything else)? Change your locks, tell her that if she comes on your property you will report her for trespassing. Then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    How the heck is this person getting into your home to feed chicken bones (or anything else)? Change your locks, tell her that if she comes on your property you will report her for trespassing. Then do it.
    Precisely. I'd cut all ties with the nutjob, and follow through with the threat of arrest if she doesn't stay away. (I bet she won't - that kind never does).

She was feeding the chicken to the barn cats, she never came in the house. I feel that sometimes I need to put a locked gate at the end of the drive.

I am maybe a little overly cautious when it comes to animals. My friends 4 yr old son was killed on a so called bombproof pony, so I question any animal behavior. The 2 year olds have been around my dog and she is fine with them. I have taught the dog the word off so she doesn't jump on them. But I wouldn't say she is safe in a home with little kids, just because of her tendency to growl. She has never growled at the kids because she knows them. Strange kids she might be a little hesitant with. If the kids get too noisy with their wagons and stuff she will hide in her house.

I asked this acquaintance back in April to feed the horses while I was gone to Kentucky for the Rolex. She only had to feed Saturday night and Sunday morning. My sister was feeding the rest of the days. My dad was feeding the cats and dogs. Told her to check on the other animals water if she had time but my dad would take care of them feeding wise. She ended up coming over every single day morning and night and fed my horses hay, also fed the barn cats and the dogs. All the food is kept in bins in the barn. The barn cats just always think they are starving. My dad fed them, and they eat everything right away. She comes along and feeds them again and they act like they are starving. So she really thinks they are starving. She went through all the dog and cat food that should have lasted the rest of the week. I had enough hay in my barn to get me through until the next weekend. I came home to 1 bale. Ever since she fed for me that weekend she has been overly concerned about my animals and I haven't let her back over since. That week after I got back she kept popping in to say hi, but I noticed she was checking the dogs water dishes and the horses water troughs and such. I am a freak about water, and I keep a big water tub for the cats and the horses usually have 2 troughs. So after that week I thought I ended her little obsession and haven't had issues since and haven't invited her back over. Yesterday she came over without waiting for a reply from me, and without invitation. So I made it clear that I do not want her over again.

Not sure what breed she is. Most people think she is a border collie because of her color. She is a reddish or yellow? and white marked like a b.c. But she looks like a spaniel in her face. She is small, maybe 35lbs or so? I contacted some b.c. rescues and they were full.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    Not sure what breed she is. Most people think she is a border collie because of her color. She is a reddish or yellow? and white marked like a b.c. But she looks like a spaniel in her face. She is small, maybe 35lbs or so? I contacted some b.c. rescues and they were full.
    Even if they're full, ask if they would be willing to list your dog along with theirs on petfinder or something, just to get her seen by more people.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Tell me she's a collie or a sheltie and I can help you. If she's purebred dog or looks like a purebred, usually a breed rescue can help you. Mixes are harder unless they are puppies.

Other than that, you need the crazy friend out of your life. I'm sorry to say that "going to the shelter" and "going to die tomorrow" is the way many rescues move animals. I know the shelter in the next county over from me has a rescue who pulls the going to die story and this is a shelter with a 1% kill rate.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

If she looks like a border collie, send her photo and info to border collie rescues. There's help out there, but you have to be aggressively seeking it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

DLF I had a similar dog situation. Husband found a stray in bad shape she was young took her in fixed her up. Found out that she was very lovey always good with my daughter other dogs etc but would raise her hair at strangers and give them the stink eye.

She also was not found of the chaos that goes with a young child and 5 other dogs.

I vetted the local rescues and no kill shelters and put her on the waiting list of the ones I felt I have faith in their re homing process. Took 2 months to get her into one but only 2 weeks to get her placed in a home.

It was worth the wait.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

We have an old Cattle Dog (15 now!) who we've had since she was 2. She's very territorial and used to be fairly aggressive toward strangers and other dogs. We had two teens when she was adopted and later had another child, when she was 5. She's growled at the boys plenty, and gets angry at boisterous behavior and barks...but she has never bitten them. The growling I consider a good thing, it's a clue that if they don't stop whatever it is a bite might be next. Every time she's growls at someone, they were right near her, annoying her. We never left her alone with a child under about 8, depending on maturity of the kid. No incidents. I don't consider growling to necessarily be a problem...biting without growling first is the far scarier behavior and any dog can bite if pushed far enough.