The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I LOVE my Cubito baby!!! VIDEO ADDED 7/3/13 (Post #12)

After tragically loosing my A/O jumper prospect a couple of years ago, I made the decision to purchase a yearling jumper prospect. Originally, I had planned to look at horses that were a bit older and already started, but just couldn't find anything that I really fell in love with.

I ended up going to a breeder and looking at a field full of yearlings, of which I singled out three and looked much closer. I ended up going with a yearling Cubito-Landgraf filly. I left her at the breeder's, living out until she turned 3. They started her under saddle (3 weeks) walk-trot-canter. I went to pick her up, rode her twice, and hauled her home. She spent the summer turned out and was minimally handled. I started riding her about three weeks ago, just 20 minutes a day, three or four days a week.

She cross ties like a champ, is phenomenal for the farrier, and has been one of the best-minded, easiest horses I have ever worked with. While she is only 3, and still has her baby-isms (pawing at the gate, banging her door at feeding time), however, she has such a great attitude and willing personality. I am so pleased with this filly. Anyone looking for an upper-level horse with an ammy friendly personality should give this stallion a look.

Not to mention, the breeder is awesome to work with.

http://s934.beta.photobucket.com/use.../Baton%20Rouge

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZE3D65Aw9s&feature=plcp
    Last edited by lotc2005; Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added photo link. Added video link.

I love these posts =)

Who is this breeder you speak of? I'd love to know where she came from!

Is the mother Lilly? I have a Czechmate x Lilly that is 6 this year, bought in utero before gk had Lilly. She has the same brain!

Darden: The breeder is GK Performance Horses in Andersonville, TN.

Gibson: Yes, her dam is Lilly! Glad to hear that you are thrilled with yours, also.

Happy to hear that.

I have one mare in foal in Cubito and am very excited to see what we get in late January.

I have to say that the stallion owners were fantastic to work with. They were at WEF showing and were still very flexible and accomodating about collections.

Best wishes to you, Feria! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. May I ask what type of mare you crossed with him?

I too love these posts! The only thing that would make it better are pictures

I knew someone would ask. I will get some pictures over the weekend, she is difficult to photograph without help because she insists on being so close to me.

I used him on an Irish TB mare. She has done the jumpers up to 1.15m. She is capable of more but has been held back by me. She is built like a tank and jumps with scope and carefulness. She needed a bit more loft and elasticity in her gaits.

Here is pics and few videos of Wendy.
    http://www.rockhillranchtx.com/current-horses.html

Now that I have shared I would love to see your little one!

Here are some pictures of mine. They are from August of her yearling year up to today.

http://s934.beta.photobucket.com/use.../Baton%20Rouge

Video link added to the first post.

I wanted to add an update to this post. I am so pleased with this mare. Here is a link to more recent photos. She is now a 4 year old.

http://s934.photobucket.com/user/klb.../Baton%20Rouge

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGFJnxh8NO4
    Last edited by lotc2005; Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added video link

I was very interested in breeding to him but since I am in Canada it's so expensive!!! I still think I might try and take the chance next year! I have been looking online and no one has been selling his babies but the breeder! They must like them!

I really like my mare. She has been great to bring along. We went to a couple shows this year just to get out and see the world and nothing seemed to phase her. She has a very willing attitude and is super athletic. She also has a great personality and tries very hard to please. I had an older mare that I was looking forward to have bred to Cubito this year, but unfortunately, she had some issues and we were unable to have her bred.

If you have the chance to have one bred to Cubito, take advantage of the opportunity. It would be very difficult for me to ever sell this one.