The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Children Tormenting Dog

Poor little dude!

I grew up with a Bichon who was a year older than I was, and whoever got to the child-sized chair first just got sat on by the other. She also taught me to bark and scream at the UPS guy, but I'm happy to say I grew out of that.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I hope the kids received some severe punishment. Going down that path is scarey and it is immediate action that can rectify this sort of behavior. They did not consider the puppy as a living being with feelings and I hope that has been addressed. So many parents allow kids too much leeway -- Obviously these parents thought it was cute in some sick way.

PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    I hope the kids received some severe punishment. Going down that path is scarey and it is immediate action that can rectify this sort of behavior. They did not consider the puppy as a living being with feelings and I hope that has been addressed. So many parents allow kids too much leeway -- Obviously these parents thought it was cute in some sick way.

PennyG
    Really?! The puppy was probably relishing all the attention.

Yeesh. I suppose my 2 year old self should have been beaten for sitting on the dog. Guess that explains my recent ax murdering spree.

(Disclaimer: I have never so much as hefted an ax. Nor murdered anyone. Since apparently I must make that clear.)
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I think it's cute. (Spoken by someone who sharpie'd herself as a child ).

One of our local animal shelters had a 'strut your pup' charity event recently and I saw numerous poodles that appeared to have been spray painted...

and THEIR NAILS WERE POLISHED, TOO!

The coloring probably didn't hurt the dog. Obviously I would wash the Sharpie ink out after this incident, but I doubt it hurt the puppy. I do think that it is always very important to supervise kids and dogs because kids can inadvertently hurt dogs - and to prevent kids from sitting on or "riding" dogs, which I've heard can cause serious injuries.

PennyG
    Huh?!

My son is a Jackson Pollock in the making and will scribble on anything and everything. Including himself, the walls, me, the floors, and occasionally, the dog.

Seriously I just don't know what to do with COTH sometimes. I remember I was severely chastised once because I mentioned that my 3 year old daughter liked to attempt to climb on the family golden retriever as if she were a pony.

Living with a family and with children means sometimes dogs have to deal with "stuff." That's not to say kids should not be respectful or mindful of a dog's space, and that parents should not educate and supervise their kids with dogs.

However, occasionally a dog ends up with a little purple magic marker on its head. There are worse fates.
    Last edited by FlashGordon; Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

PennyG

Maybe if this is a 16 year old who thinks this behavior is acceptable or if the kids pinned down a panicking dog. Otherwise, I think it is pretty normal for a kid to "beautify" the family dog if it stays still long enough. The puppy was probably pretty happy to receive the attention.

I have pictures of my cocker spaniel in a skirt, faux mink shawl, and sunglasses. I guess I just thought she needed to let her inner diva shine . She lived another 8 years and I grew up to be a remarkably well-adjusted young adult. I guess I lucked out that I didn't turn into a heartless teen that skins cats for fun

I remember trying to use our St. Bernard collie mix as a pony when I was 7ish. He sat down and I fell off and hit the coffee table fracturing my collar bone. Nobody actually believed I had broken anything so it wasn't until the next day I actually went to the hospital. (not that it really mattered I guess, all they put on was a sling!) BUT at any rate there is a good reason letting children use dogs as ponies is frowned upon! I will say had there been a parent there I would NOT have been allowed to ride the dog! LOL

Did I mention this was the day Xmas vacation started?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

PennyG
    Huh? Little kids color on whatever is available. My daughter colored her arms with purple markers on picture day. She still remembers that I scrubbed it off with Ajax. The door that was colored...that was her job to scrub off. It took hours.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Um...don't you think that perhaps TKR is being facetious? Puppies ARE living beings with feelings and getting decorated probably makes him very happy! lol

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Maybe if this is a 16 year old who thinks this behavior is acceptable or if the kids pinned down a panicking dog. Otherwise, I think it is pretty normal for a kid to "beautify" the family dog if it stays still long enough. The puppy was probably pretty happy to receive the attention.
    I agree. With the amount of color that pup was perfectly happy to allow for such attention. There is way too much color on the head for that pup to have been trying to run to safety

Pups and kids sometimes have great bonds (they just woke up) Should I have yelled at him to GET OFF THE F*&^N DOG?
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a94...niJamiefeb.jpg

My daughter was just dressing my sister's mastiff full with sunglasses last week. Dozer just sat there and didn't move. I sure hope my daughter doesn't join kateh band of axe murderers! (If Nadja decided to "paint" Amani I sure would tell her that it wasn't a good idea but not be that worried about it)
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Heck, I'm 19, and I scribbled some blue sharpie on my cat last night. The pest wouldn't stop climbing all over my stuff while I was trying to study and trying to grab my sharpie while I was using it. So she got her paw scribbled on. She miraculously survived, and obviously wasn't too traumatized considering she then sprawled across my text book purring.

It wasn't the first time she's been scribbled on, taped, or stickered. It won't be the last.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5&l=bab189e092
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=0eba4053af
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by smay View Post
    Puppies ARE living beings with feelings and getting decorated probably makes him very happy! lol

I'm sure the parents were the only ones traumatized.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Heck, I'm 19, and I scribbled some blue sharpie on my cat last night. The pest wouldn't stop climbing all over my stuff while I was trying to study and trying to grab my sharpie while I was using it. So she got her paw scribbled on. She miraculously survived, and obviously wasn't too traumatized considering she then sprawled across my text book purring.

It wasn't the first time she's been scribbled on, taped, or stickered. It won't be the last.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5&l=bab189e092
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=0eba4053af
    I'm with you. My Doberman is so sweet, but is definitely a velcro dog and always in my face...

So I made him a unicorn (for like 5 seconds before he shook it off): https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

While I definitely think TKR worded her post strongly, I would myself hope that that child was firmly told to never do that again.

No need to be mean, just a firm sit down and saying if he/she wants to color, he/she must use paper and not a living creature
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Oh good grief..............

I'd be glad it wasn't the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Maybe she's trying to learn redox chem by osmosis so she can help you study.

Or maybe she's trying to play the part of Red Cat (you'll have to come up with An Ox) or reminding you that "LEO says GER!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    I'd be glad it wasn't the walls.
    or the most recent italian leather couch Amani would have rolled over for ink tattoos on the belly
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"