The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clamp on hay spear?

Does anyone have one that they could recommend or just have one period? Worst case, I'll go get holes drilled in my tractor's bucket for a bolt on spear but I'd rather not if I can find a spear that I can just clamp on.

My tractor is too small to use a FEL spear without a counter weight but I can just use a bale on the back spear for that. I really need a front spear so I can stack round bales.

Thanks!

I've got one that may not be exactly this manufacturer/seller but it looks exactly like it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bale-Spear-A...item3ccb51721f

Clamps on with a single chain and binder. It works fine.

But note if you have a choice, get a quick attach one that goes on instead of the bucket. If you are close to the lifting limit of your small tractor, having it a foot closer to the center of gravity will make it more stable and also higher capacity.

I'm generally not impressed with the "clamp on" spears (or some other devices).

The idea to get a spear that replaces the bucket is an outstanding one.

Remember that when you start moving 500-1000 lb. hay bales you're moving a boatload of mass. One failure due to an inadequate installation or material malfunction can cause very serious damage (including physical injury to persons or animals in the vicinity).

Get the real deal.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I've got one that may not be exactly this manufacturer/seller but it looks exactly like it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bale-Spear-A...item3ccb51721f

Clamps on with a single chain and binder. It works fine.

But note if you have a choice, get a quick attach one that goes on instead of the bucket. If you are close to the lifting limit of your small tractor, having it a foot closer to the center of gravity will make it more stable and also higher capacity.
    I saw that one on ebay and thought it might have promise. Glad you like yours!

And to both you and Guilherme, I stupidly did not get the quick connect package for my tractor when I bought it thinking I would hardly ever switch attachments out. Can it be retrofitted with the QC pkg? My tractor is a '09 Kubota L3400DT-1F. When I bought the tractor I asked the guy if I could use a FEL spear and he said yes as long as I had a counter weight on back.

That said, I'd rather just take the bucket off but the only spears I found (on ebay) said they work with Kubotas with the quick connect pkg.