The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack Care

We have recently purchased a used Tad Coffin saddle and I would like to keep it in great condition for as long as possible. Tad recommends the TC buff and glycerin for daily use. What are y'all's experiences with that "routine"? What do you typically use to clean and condition your nice tack? I have had great results with the Oakwood products and castile soap. Would these be acceptable/optimal for use on the TC?

Thanks ahead of time

Quote Originally Posted by RumorHasIt301 View Post
    We have recently purchased a used Tad Coffin saddle and I would like to keep it in great condition for as long as possible. Tad recommends the TC buff and glycerin for daily use. What are y'all's experiences with that "routine"? What do you typically use to clean and condition your nice tack? I have had great results with the Oakwood products and castile soap. Would these be acceptable/optimal for use on the TC?

Thanks ahead of time
    There is already a thread on this subject, but IMO you can't go wrong with castile soap, I use it on really dirty stuff. I have heard that Oakwood conditioner is great but haven't used it myself. I clean with a variety of products depending on my mood and more importantly the condition of the tack, Effax Leder Combi or Belvoir Step 1 cleanser are my other favorites, I also like Tattersal's and Epona glycerine. My favorite conditoner is Akene, but I also use Effax Lederbalsam on stuff that really needs a deep conditioning treatment, Hydrophane liquid conditioner is another good product.

Most any product specifically meant for tack cleaning will probably give you the desired results as long as it is not too harsh. I treat my leather as I would my skin, gentle cleansing and a good moisturizer when needed. Don't overcondition, you will be able to tell by the leather when it needs it.

I wouldn't clean a Tad Coffin saddle every day.

They are very soft and it's easy to overdo it on these.

You need to get to know your leather and its appetites.

It will want to be oiled sometimes (rarely, and different parts will want more and less frequent oilings).

It will just want the dirt wiped off sometimes. An almost-dry sponge with glycerine or castile will do.

It will always want sweat addressed when it has been allowed to dry.

Sometimes (like oiling), it will want to be conditioned.

If you screw up with the conditioning/cleaning and get "grease jockeys" building up, it will want to be cleaned their with dilute ammonia. (I know-- you can't believe it.) Then it will want to be conditioned again. Like a shot and a chaser.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I own a tad that I have had since 2003. I sent it back to have some work done last year and they asked ME what I did to care for my saddle as it didn't need anything leatherwise replaced and still looks wonderful. Last week someone asked if I had a new saddle. I clean my saddle almost every time I ride. Using a damp sponge and finishing with Mad Cow(sparingly) or Belvoir(orginally till I found Mad Cow). I have used the conditioner that Tad sells but it was in a tin at the time and rusted. I have very rarely oiled my saddle as it came already oiled. When i did I used neatsfoot oil sparingly. not neatsfoot compound -said to rot stitching. I did like the conditioner Tad sells, you may want to buy a tin of it to see what you think.

I think what you're using is just fine. I've kept fine tack looking new with a simple regimen of cleaning with glycerine after every ride and using lederbalsam every couple weeks. I've heard great stuff about Oakwood.