The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes, any rips should be fixed or replaced for the first 10 years. The person I talked to on the phone before I ordered the sheet ensured that. I already had to return the first one because they definitely run large. Even a 78 is slightly to big for my gelding and he usually needs an 80. The front is very adjustable though so I figure I can put it over his blanket as an extra layer for snow and ice and just overall protection. The geldings play rough and he is near the bottom of the pecking order in the herd so he gets kick/bite marks frequently and other sheets have only lasted about a week before they have needed repair. It's an expensive sheet but I think it will be well worth it with the warrantee. I do wish they had other colors though....just black for now.

Thanks Wyleed, good to know they run a bit big. Better than too small I guess.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

I don't need any more blankets right now, but it being in black would be a deal breaker.. Call me paranoid, but black blankets worry me. I don't want my horses cooking because it's a sunny day and they're wearing black.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I was all set to order my gelding another Dover NorthWind sheet, but the warranty on this is making me 2nd guess myself. Even though the NorthWind has a bit higher denier, you really can't beat the warranty & SmartPak's customer service. It works out to be about the same price, so I think I will take a chance & order this sheet this weekend. Hope it holds up as well as the NorthWinds!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

ugh! It doesn't come QUITE small enough if it fits large! I NEED one of these smaller!~

I need a 69 for one of mine.
    Most horse blankets start at 72 so I was thrilled this one starts at 69.
    Ordering this for my guy. Thanks for posting.
    It is a bit higher than I wanted to spend, but with that kind of warranty for a 4 year old horse...I will spend it.

I like the color, and the only time he will be wearing it is on rainy days.

As far as smartpak goes, they have spoiled me with their customer service. They do such top shelf customer service, I hate dealing with any other businesses since they just do it right!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

amastrike - 2 words - night turnout!

I was looking at it for a new medium. But I do have a question... it has the rings for a hood, but I couldn't find a hood for it on their website. Anyone know if there is/will be a hood available at some point? Horse currently has a Rambo Wug that's 7ish years old probably. He generally spends the most time in his medium. Was really looking for something that came with a neck cover option.
    It also helps that it's black and has royal blue piping as royal blue and black are my colors lol!!

I wish there was a hood too. I am *thisclose* to pulling the trigger on it as a sheet... but I want a hood It's most likely made by Kensington with their patterns. So likely a Kensington hood would fit/match up to the closures... but it wouldn't match. At over $100 for a sheet, I want the hood to match.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    I was all set to order my gelding another Dover NorthWind sheet, but the warranty on this is making me 2nd guess myself. Even though the NorthWind has a bit higher denier, you really can't beat the warranty & SmartPak's customer service. It works out to be about the same price, so I think I will take a chance & order this sheet this weekend. Hope it holds up as well as the NorthWinds!
    It's a different type of material, though. Rambos are 1000D ballistic nylon (or whatever), as opposed to 1200D or 1680D something-else, so you can't really compare the denier.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I would purchase it if they made a no fill neck cover for it. My appendix needs a new sheet but he needs a neck cover and as has been mentioned I don't want to spend that much if I can't have the neck cover match
    My blog:

RAWR

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    It's a different type of material, though. Rambos are 1000D ballistic nylon (or whatever), as opposed to 1200D or 1680D something-else, so you can't really compare the denier.
    I hate Rambos, lol. I know I'm in the minority, but I've never had good luck with them at the barns I've worked at.

The Dover Northwind that I normally get is 1680D Ballistic Nylon, while the Smartpak sheet is 1050D Ballistic Nylon. But the warranty for the Smartpak sheet sounds amazing, so might be worth it for the slightly lesser denier.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Here's the thing. I believe that Smartpak will stand behind this warranty, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the product. Smartpak's a great company staffed by horsepeople, and they've never treated me wrong in the past. When and if I ever buy a blanket again, this one will make my short list.

But I also suspect this product will follow the model of other foreign-made products: it's cheaper for the company to replace the product several times than to build a single product to last. I'm thinking, for example, of Pessoa's lifetime tree warranty: because they have a vertically integrated factory in Argentina, it's often more price-friendly to send you a new Pessoa than to fix the one you sent back to them. Ditto with a turnout sheet that's retailing at $170: if you're building it for $60 or less in China or wherever else, you can afford to replace it 3x before your company lost its profits.

In other words, if I bought this, I wouldn't expect the quality standard of an Irish-made Rambo. I'd probably expect about the quality level of a Schneider's or Big Dee's turnout made in China. (And while I don't know who's making this particular blanket for Smartpak, I'm pretty sure they contract for certain other blankets with the company that builds Big Dee's blankets.)

I also sincerely hope it's a no-questions-asked warranty in which your new sheet arrives with a shipping label to send back your old blanket. Otherwise, your horse could be walking around without a blanket while you ship off the damaged one, Smartpak evaluates your claim, and sends you another sheet. Or worse, they just send you a little roll of repair tape for your ripped blanket and consider that "fulfillment of the warranty." (I've heard of all three courses of action for other blanket warranties, such as Schneider's.)

As for denier, let's clarify some terms. Ballistic nylon is a particular kind of weave that takes two strands of nylon and crosses them over in an cross/X pattern. In theory, nylon gets stronger as you go up in weight (that's what denier measures) but because ballistic nylon is a double-strand weave, 1000 denier ballistic nylon is actually stronger pound-for-pound than 1680 ballistic nylon. 1680 is pretty great too, but there's a reason that you don't see the really high-end makers (Bucas, Horseware, etc.) building out of 1680 denier. (For the record, my horse wears 1680 denier. So I'm not knockin' it!)

Just some things to think about while we're all oohing and ahhing. Like I said, I'd buy it.

Jn4jenny, thanks for that great explanation! As an aside, I had thought that the Rambos were also now made in china. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Jn4jenny, thanks for that great explanation! As an aside, I had thought that the Rambos were also now made in china. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    They are, and I think that's why she was clarifying that her statements about durability relate to the irish made ones, not the chinese ones.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search

This is the one I have (in blue plaid) and I love it. I had it on my yearling colt last winter when he love it. I like the thinsulate, it makes it light weight but warm.

Got it yesterday. Fits him just fine. Seems pretty well made. The hardware looks sturdy and it has a mesh liner, which I like. He looks pretty sporty in it. Hopefully it's the last turnout sheet I will have to buy for 10 years!

Default Gave it a chance, but no go. Darn it!

Well, my boy wore this less than 5 times and the lining in the front ripped out. Given that it failed with so few wears, I have returned it and will go back to my trusty Rambo. For the price, I was really hoping it would work. Additionally, it gets all wonky on him if he rolls in it, and it appears to be tight through the shoulders even with the gussets.
    Lesson learned here, from now on I'll just stick with what I know works - Rambo.

I got one and was happy with it until the first rain...not even a day long pouring rain. Horse came in wet under the blanket.

I sent it back for a replacement.

Maybe they are water resistant as opposed to water proof.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I don't need any more blankets right now, but it being in black would be a deal breaker.. Call me paranoid, but black blankets worry me. I don't want my horses cooking because it's a sunny day and they're wearing black.
    You know, they did an episode on Mythbusters about this ("is black really hotter") and it was like 2 degrees difference