The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So they'll cover the waterproofing too eh? Hrm! I wonder though just how waterproof they are. I want something that my horse can wear out in all day steady rain and come in dry.

I have a Classic Coverup Club Dry sheet (Gore-tex) but if it ever dies, I'm in trouble. I've tried Turtlenecks several times and each time he wore it out in steady rain, he came in wet. Same thing with the Horse Works Typhoon turnout sheet.

I have the Deluxe not the Ultimate, but I can speak to fit and weight.

The fit is roomy, plenty of shoulder room which I love. It does not choke them or stress the withers when they put their head down to eat. I adjust the top buckle loosely and the bottom one tight, and it is perfect. Plently of drop at the sides too, so I can do the surcingles and their belly is fairly well covered. But I tend to not fit my blankets by length but rather by the neck opening and shoulders! This one has plenty of room but stilll stays ahead of the withers, which is perfect.

As far as the weight, I have the medium. I use it on an unclipped but not furry horse when the low at night is under 45 or so. I am in Central Texas, where it rarely gets under mid 20's, so I will likely not need anything else.

All in all, this is my favorite blanket I have ever had. Maybe the Brookside in a tie because it also fits well and has snap surcingles.
    friend of bar.ka

Ah, I see they don't come in pony sizes. Much easier to guarantee something that the little buggers won't fit into. Well played, SmartPak, well played.

3 members found this post helpful.

In regards to what SmartPak does if you have a blanket that rips/needing to get it replaced, here is my experience.

Last year my mare was wearing her Smartpak deluxe medium turnout with neck cover. She is not hard on blankets usually but somehow ripped off the hood and the dee rings came out of the seams of the blanket meaning I couldn't just replace the hood. I called Smartpake and explained the situation (without even having to jump through any hoops or complain at all other than saying I was hoping it would hold up better considering it was only a few months old). They immediately sent me a new blanket in that size so my horse wouldn't be without a blanket. They sent me a return ship label and just asked that I washed the old blanket and sent it back.
    I'm not exactly sure how it would work with this 10 year guarantee blanket, since they might just do repairs, but I would highly doubt they would leave you without a blanket.
    I don't have a need for this turnout right now, but I have to say they really stand up for their products! I love Smartpak, and will always try to buy there unless what I want is not available.

1 members found this post helpful.

I hope so, as I am getting one as my Christmas present from my parents for my horse. He is not hard on blankets but is the whipping boy for all his buddies, and every time I bring him in, he has a rip, and a bite mark.

I'm praying that this will stand up to the pecking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordplay1832 View Post
    In regards to what SmartPak does if you have a blanket that rips/needing to get it replaced, here is my experience.

Last year my mare was wearing her Smartpak deluxe medium turnout with neck cover. She is not hard on blankets usually but somehow ripped off the hood and the dee rings came out of the seams of the blanket meaning I couldn't just replace the hood. I called Smartpake and explained the situation (without even having to jump through any hoops or complain at all other than saying I was hoping it would hold up better considering it was only a few months old). They immediately sent me a new blanket in that size so my horse wouldn't be without a blanket. They sent me a return ship label and just asked that I washed the old blanket and sent it back.
    I'm not exactly sure how it would work with this 10 year guarantee blanket, since they might just do repairs, but I would highly doubt they would leave you without a blanket.
    I don't have a need for this turnout right now, but I have to say they really stand up for their products! I love Smartpak, and will always try to buy there unless what I want is not available.
    For what it's worth... I did have to return mine before they would send me a new one. So basically without it until they send out the new one.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.