The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SmartPak Ultimate Turnout - Too Good To Be True?

SmartPak Ultimate Ballistic Nylon Turnout Blanket
    Is this too good to be true? We shall see.
    Broke down and bought one today after calling customer service. I had a Rambo I really liked, but it finally needs replacing.
    Here's the kicker:
    10 YEAR guarantee - according to customer service, this covers EVERYTHING. I asked specifically about waterproofing, and it covers that also! Can you believe this??? It also fits like my Rambo as well.
    As long as you take proper care of it, using the appropriate blanket wash, they will replace it. The price point is very competitive, and with the free shipping and discount I get from already using Smartpaks, I couldn't say no.
    I know everyone loves their Rambos, as do I, but how can you not buy this blanket? Holy Schmoly!
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

I don't know about the Ultimate, but I have the Deluxe, and I LOVE it.

Wow. Impressive!

Did you ask how much fill was in the lite versus the medium? I can't seem to find that info on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Wow. Impressive!

Did you ask how much fill was in the lite versus the medium? I can't seem to find that info on their website.
    I sent them an email requesting that info. I really don't need anything with fill, just need a sheet!
    Cindy

Sorry, I didn't ask as I just need a turnout sheet - no fill. Just wanted to ask about warranty, how they fit compared to Rambo and if there was any special care. Didn't want to inadvertently void the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Wow. Impressive!

The lite is a sheet with no fill, I'm not sure about how much fill the medium has.

I have been very interested in that turnout myself, since winter (and lack of grazing, they lose interest in hay faster than they do grass) seems to turn my herd into a bunch of destructive delinquents. I'm going to try one on whichever "frat boy" destroys his clothing first this winter.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

I might have to try this on my blanket destroyer. He is notorious for grabbing the front of the blanket until a shoulder gusset rips. He does it when he gets excited...which is a lot thanks to his two crazy TB pasture mates. I've been able to avoid it by buying Rambos...not gussets, good shoulder fit...but I might have try this out.

Like I said, I have no experience with this one, but I have both a Deluxe and a Classic. They are on their third year, and two very rough boys, and holding up great. I can only imagine these are even better!

Lite - No Fill, Medium - 220g or Heavy - 360g

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...RecentlyViewed

Holy smokes re: the video on that page. I've never seen anyone so darned excited about fleece at the wither. Or seemingly so surprised to see it on a blanket... That crap rubs my horse's mane off and is usually the first thing I rip off any blanket.

Omg. That was pretty funny. Look! It has gussets! Look! It has fleece! Look! Its a blanket! It's made of material!

All jokes aside, if it lives up to its promise, it would be hard to say no, considering the low price!

I've loved all the SP clothing I've bought for both horses except the stable sheet... but they have replaced that for me several times without issue, so no complaints on customer service. Both horses have the stable sheet and blanket and one has the light and heavy turnout and the other has the medium turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    Lite - No Fill, Medium - 220g or Heavy - 360g

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...RecentlyViewed

Holy smokes re: the video on that page. I've never seen anyone so darned excited about fleece at the wither. Or seemingly so surprised to see it on a blanket... That crap rubs my horse's mane off and is usually the first thing I rip off any blanket.
    That's the Deluxe, not the Ultimate. The one with the 10 year guarantee is this one:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search

The fills are the same, though - lite, no fill and medium, 220.

Default Sizing?

Are the blankets true to size?

Quote Originally Posted by petit cheval brun View Post
    Are the blankets true to size?
    They run a little big.

I don't have experience with this blanket but I do have experience with their customer service and would have no problem stating they will honor their word.

I brought a bridle from them for my yearling and she has outgrown it so I emailed them asking how to clean off the goo that was leaking out of the browband so I could sell it. They said they had no idea why there was goo and to send it back and they would send me one in a larger size. So then I had to tell them that our own Lady Bug Red stole the reins along with all the other stuff I gave her to sell for me and they said no problem. So basically I sent them half of a small bridle and they sent me all of a larger one. That is on an item they don't make any claims of durability on so I am sure they will honor their promise on this one.

2 members found this post helpful.

I definitely plan to purchase one when my gelding needs his next blanket. It sounds perfect for turnout with the rough and tumble geldings at our barn.

Hmmm, the Rambo wug has gotten a bit snug in the shoulders.
    Was looking at the Turtleneck but I need to check this one out as well.
    Last edited by Carolinadreamin'; Oct. 10, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

As far as fit goes, she said to order the same size as my Rambo - 84, and it should fit fine. If it doesn't fit, an easy exchange. If it turns out to not fit well during turnout (rubbing, etc.) another easy exchange, probably back to my Rambo.
    I still cannot fathom how they can guarantee this for 10 years, especially the waterproofing. But as a customer, I have to say I'm impressed and willing to give it a go. If they did not have such stellar customer service I probably wouldn't take the chance.

You people are horrible enablers for someone who has a horse blanket issue.
    Hmpf.

Does the warranty cover rips due to a pasture mate biting them?