The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Body clip versus trace clip

It's been VERY unseasonably warm here in North Texas so far this winter. We've barely had nights under 40 and only maybe one or two anywhere near freezing. The entire forecast for the week says around the upper 70's.

I've never even considered body clipping, or even trace clipping, my horse before but with this heat it's making me concerned for his health because he sweats like a pig when we ride.

Background is gelding lives outside. We do blanket and he's got 3 (heavy, medium, sheet). My concern is the heat now, but we will likely get an ice storm somewhere before spring. So should I trace clip, full body clip or leave him be? I've never had this problem before but with a full coat and 75+ temps I'm concerned. But I also don't want him to freeze when the cold (eventually???) sets in.

A trace clip only got me by up to the mid-50s.

And now it's all grown out anyway
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

A trace clip would serve you well and the hair grows back so there should be protection against an ice storm in the spring. The nice thing about a trace clip is that you can do modifications on how much hair you remove. The trace clip I do in the fall leaves more hair on my mare than the trace clip I do in March.

If you body clip you are married to your horse's blanket needs through out the day. Like you, we can have a high of 60 at noon and then 25 degrees by dark. With a trace clip, your unblanketed horse wouldn't be in peril if you didn't get a warm blanket on him until dark on a day like that.

2 members found this post helpful.

I did a blanket clip this year for the first time and I LOVE it! Whole neck is clipped, whole chest is clipped, clipped pretty high up on his sides, but left his back and his butt fully haired other than a thin strip of clipping down the outside of his thigh/stifle area.

It has been really warm here and he was really, really hairy. It is in the low 60s today (in Wisconsin!), but it has gone down to the teens already since he has had this clip. He was fine inside in a midweight stable blanket, and fine outside with the midweight and a T/O sheet over the midweight even in 16 degree weather.

Thanks! That is very helpful! I'm not truly a fan of the trace clip (I just don't like the look) but I'm more worried about his comfort level. Because isn't our whole lives about their comfort level?! LOL!

I use an Irish clip on my gelding. It's also unusually warm here in California as well. My gelding was covered in sweat just from grazing in the turnout in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
    Thanks! That is very helpful! I'm not truly a fan of the trace clip (I just don't like the look) but I'm more worried about his comfort level. Because isn't our whole lives about their comfort level?! LOL!
    Use masking tape to trace the outlines before you clip. When your lines are straight and your angles sharp, a trace look can look really cool!

3 members found this post helpful.

Thnanks Act Natural!

I'm not sure what an Irish clip is? Pictures? Can I shave a heart into his butt or is that grounds for a sound bucking off? LOL!

hehe i clipped a heart on my pony's butt. I was channeling my inner 8 year old.

http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipper-a...se-clips.shtml

this is the best website for clip pics!

The Irish clip is in the link that ActNatural posted. Although I took the line all the way down the barrel and tapered it to go underneath, if that makes sense. It flowed a bit better than the one in the picture, I didn't like it stopping abruptly in the middle of his barrel.

I'm digging the Irish clip. That would seem to fit him best since most of his sweat is on his neck (naturally) and that could be easy to cover with a blanket. I can buy him a hood.

I can see that me and Act Natural shouldn't be allowed to hang out! LOL!

How cold does it get? I'm in Northern California, at the very coldest it would maybe drop below 30. I use a midweight blanket with no hood, gelding is in a paddock with a 3 sided shelter. I've never used a hood.

Quote Originally Posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
    I'm digging the Irish clip. That would seem to fit him best since most of his sweat is on his neck (naturally) and that could be easy to cover with a blanket. I can buy him a hood.

I can see that me and Act Natural shouldn't be allowed to hang out! LOL!
    Haha! I could send you a pic of my mare with her haircut and heart if you want to PM me your email address. I dont have a facebook account so no real way to link to this.

Once, I clipped a "B" on the butt of a pony named Bubbles for a kid at our barn. She then took pony to the pony finals and got a lot of snobby looks from the other kids/trainers but oh well. He was super cute with his B.

Default Helpful thread ~ thank you ~

Helpful thread and posts ~ Thank You ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I'm in SC and this is the first year I've ever done a full body clip ... I'm never going back to a trace, bib or any other modified!

First off, I have to blanket just about the same anyway. Secondly, it gives a neater appearance. Thirdly, I ended up with sweat a lot of times with traces.

Now that said, I clipped with a 5 on the body and a 10 on legs and face, to preserve more hair on the body. The 5 gets their coat down to about a summer coat level when you clip against the grain, so you don't end up with a nearly bald pony.

Well now it looks like, true to Texas fashion, that Sunday at 2 pm a cold front is blowing through with high temperatures next week of 45. UGH! so I guess I'll be extra diligent about cooling him out and taking care of him. I hate winter. I'm a Southern California girl and this is just too much for my delicate constitution!