The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Elephants are gaited but what gait?

I read this article debating whether elephants run or walk or both, and I kept thinking "Someone needs to introduce these guys to horsemen, we can see that elephants gait!" Granted, in biomechanical discussions of potential and kinetic energy it may be worth sticking to run vs walk mechanics. But in general terms, I look at an elephant at speed and think "gaited". Stride with joint markers
    My question is, what gait is this? A runwalk? Or something else? The elephants do get a bit of a head bob going at speed.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

yes, it's a running walk, and a dare smooth one, looks like.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

I always thought elephants move like a TWH, or TWHs move a bit like elephants.

Now, when elephants run, it doesn't look at all like the gait of SB pacers racing, so it is some other kind of footfalls going on then.

I know galicenos odd gait, was called "amble", seems similar, but is not quite a running walk either and there was not a salient head bob there.

I think someone should try to make a study on all kinds of gaits, with videos of the differences.

Harumph.... I dunno.... They look padded to me!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I always thought elephants move like a TWH, or TWHs move a bit like elephants.

Now, when elephants run, it doesn't look at all like the gait of SB pacers racing, so it is some other kind of footfalls going on then.

I know galicenos odd gait, was called "amble", seems similar, but is not quite a running walk either and there was not a salient head bob there.

I think someone should try to make a study on all kinds of gaits, with videos of the differences.
    They have.

Welcome to gaitor land Bluey.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Oh hey...that is a running walk, isn't it?

And bridle-less! A little less head-bobbing though.

I LOVE their race sponsors, LOL!

I love shows with animals and have seen running elephants in them a number of times. Only I would think "pace" for some reason.

Well, a lot of times the running elephants would be chasing camera-men and think more, "RUN!" but that would be camera-man-advice!

There's just something about elephants...such faces and expressions... There's a documentary type piece on mahouts and their elephants...absolutely fascinating.

(Hell, I was up until the wee hours this morning watching one on birds)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Makes me want to put a shoe package on just to see what they can do.

I thought 'what?' but then noticed from the article that elephants have one of the most efficient 'speed gaits' around, as far as energy expended to move their weight. The article analyzes why the runwalk is so efficient, in very basic terms.

That would mean, the original TWHs were well bred gait-wise for an efficient, all day gait suited for rough roads and inspecting the farm. That part of TWH breeding was very well done. I could see riding that TWH from the comparasion video for a long day inspecting wells.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    I thought 'what?' but then noticed from the article that elephants have one of the most efficient 'speed gaits' around, as far as energy expended to move their weight. The article analyzes why the runwalk is so efficient, in very basic terms.

That would mean, the original TWHs were well bred gait-wise for an efficient, all day gait suited for rough roads and inspecting the farm. That part of TWH breeding was very well done. I could see riding that TWH from the comparasion video for a long day inspecting wells.
    Sure, we breed our horses for intended uses, some, like TWH, for trail riding from point A to B.

Now, if you want to have an athletic, cow working horse, or a scopey jumper, or whatever, you bred for whatever will give you that also.

Some of what we breed for can be antagonistic to each other, like gaited horses then trying to do other they just are not made for and be as good at it as those other horses.

Horses as we bred them for are each one the right tool for the job at hand, that is why we have different types and sizes and gaits bred into or out of them.
    it is then up to us to get the right horse for the job at hand.

Makes me want to put a shoe package on just to see what they can do.
    Which would probably include grabbing the human with it's trunk and smushing it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I wonder if someone has clicker trained elephants?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I wonder if someone has clicker trained elephants?
    Of course! Many zoos have. I know there are some videos of youtube of it being done. I'd link a few but my computer is acting up.

I had a horsey friend who grew up in India. She described riding the not-yet grown elephants as jarring, since they had short legs, & said it was kind of like riding a stubby pony. Once they were adults, however, she said they were smooth.

She also got to play elephant polo. Jealous!!

I've ridden an elephant at the circus. Unfortunately I was a tween in capris and their long hair HURTS!!! Gotta wear pants.

Can't remember how it felt otherwise.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I had assumed elephants step-paced until I started really looking. Some of the elephants I've seen (youtube) are very even, some are pacey. I still wouldn't want to put a pad package on them and try for a rack, though! I agree, they might object a wee bit.

Actually, their feet are already padded, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post

And some are STILL well bred to walk on, naturally
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

I'm just glad we don't have to clean their stalls:
    http://www.graphics99.com/wp-content...k-elephant.jpg

You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Great clips - I love the blackie in the third clip.

When the horse has the natural talent and is gaiting the way it's supposed to, it can keep that swift movement over distance with very little effort. And sooooo smooth. . .
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.