The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Jingles for Cindy & JB ~ AO ~ AO ~ AO ~

Jingles & AO for Cindy & JB ~

JB ~ you have gone over and beyond !

Be kind to yourself ~ Cindy knows you are trying your best to help her ~

Thoughts and prayers and ((HUGS)) for this day ~ laced with some extra patience and energy ~

Jingles & AO ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Just saw this thread. Sending good thoughts and wishes for you and Cindy. Hoping you can get her right. She's a lucky gal to have you.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Ugh, I just don't know what to do!!!!!

I was actually surprised Cindy was still alive this morning. She's no worse for all the invasion we did last night, though no better either.

jetsmom, thanks for that link, unfortunately there's nothing there we haven't already done, and done multiple times

I'm about ready to beg my small animal vet for help in slicing open that membrane to get the damn egg out. If it kills her, well, she's going to die if we can't get it out anyway

Thoughts on that? Precautions to take, knowing I don't really know what part that membrane actually belongs to?

Crackerdog, this has been far too long, sad to say, and it sucks that I didn't know to check to see if this was an egg bound situation in the beginning - thought it was parasites or a bug or something 2+ weeks now, I'm embarrassed to say
    Don't be embarrassed. Without the availability of a farm animal vet you have clearly done the best you can. If it were me, I think I would just have the hen put to sleep rather than having the small animal vet cutting things unless your vet can readily identify what membrane it is and where it belongs.

I hope things turn out for the best and I will thinking about you and your chicken.

Just wanted to say that I've taken several chickens to my dog/cat vet, who readily admits he remembers very little about avian medicine but is game to try something out of the box. He hauls out his vet manuals and we try to noodle it out. I'm always amazed at just how much he remembers, and he's successfully treated several very tricky conditions (meningitis being one). He's also euthanized several for me. He gasses them down and then injects their heart, this way they don't suffer.

Whatever happens, I have read this thread and I want to say that you are an incredibly good and decent person and have done right by your hen. I wish you the best of luck with her.

Default Avian vet in Raleigh

Hi JB....just saw this whole discussion. I do know of an avian vet, Dr. Ginny Brown, at Dixie Trail Animal Clinic in Raleigh, (919) 781-5977. She specializes in birds. Perhaps you could give her a call. She is a wonderful person and perhaps could help in some way.

I'd try one of the vets, JB... get someone with the right tools and practice and ideas in there. If you can't get a vet to help I would be pretty tempted to do as jetsmom suggested way back there-break it where it is, hope that things deflate enough to clean her out very carefully, and pump her full of ABX inside and out.

This summer one of my chickens was egg bound and I had no idea (I have a bunch of them) and one day when I was trying to catch her she jumped over the fence and out blooped the nastiest, green slimy wad of egg waste you ever saw. She had it in there all summer, finally passed it, and she's alive and doing well out in the chicken coop.

They can be pretty tough, you just never know.

Oh dear, I had one this summer and she was a favorite. She was eggbound and the egg had been crushed somehow. I did the best I could getting the pieces out using a hemostat. In the end I lost her. I probably didn't get them all. Like you I was afraid of going too far with the probing. Ugh it was such a mess.

However I've learned much just reading this thread for if it ever happens again. I have felt your pain. It's so difficult when you have no professional help. I commend you for your efforts.

Default Just looking in on you ~ ((hugs))

Just looking in on you ~ JB ~ ((HUGS))
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I'm not sure this was a normal egg bound situation. Something was really in the way - not just an egg that was too big or too stuck. I really won't go into details of trying to get this thing out, but suffice to say, I think this was truly a surgical situation and we just couldn't handle it

I knew yesterday we were running out of time, if it wasn't already there, when she stopped eating her beloved apples and wouldn't even open her eyes at the enticement of freshly caught mealworms Still, we tried, and while we got some of that (%*@#@ egg out, it wasn't nearly enough, and not soon enough.

When I put her back in her crate last night, I gave her permission to go - she'd done more than enough for us.

I found her this morning having passed apparently very quietly, for which I was ever thankful.

Cindy and I, and Mr JB, thank you all for your help and support. This sucked. I can't help but think if I'd known what this was from Day 1 she'd still be with us, but... *shrug*

RIP Cindy Chickie, the bravest, strongest little hen ever. Ever.

Sucks.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but Cindy had a good life. Had you taken her to the best avian vet and spent a fortune on day 1 -- zero guarantee of better outcome. Even had you successfully gotten her through this crisis; it sounds like something was structurally wrong inside of her; so then you're looking at invasive surgery / hysterectomey -- it can become endless; and in my opinion, too many times people end up putting an animal through all kinds of extaordinary stuff -- for the benefit of the human and at the animal's expense. I think you did a good job of doing your best to help Cindy as much as you could; and you both knew it was time. Again, I just want to say that in my experience with birds, they definitely know when their human loves them -- you can see them respond to that. Cindy knew that she was loved, and that's something very few chickens get to experience. And, you got to love a chicken; and that's something very few humans experience.

Hugs!
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I'm very, very sorry that Cindy didn't make it.

Dangit ldaziens, you made me cry again!

The nerdy side of me really wanted to do a necropsy and see if we could see what was wrong. Not having dealt with a normal egg bound situation, of course we don't have anything to compare to, but honest to God I'm not sure this egg had a chance in hell of coming out on its own

We had 3 chicks born 2 weeks ago. 1 just...disappeared. 1 mysteriously died the day after. 1 is thriving. We thought we'd end up with 13+ chickens with the babies, but alas, I guess we're just meant to have 12!

What a learning experience. I now know what dosage of fenbendazole, ivermectin, AND tetracycline to give chickens

And yes, loving a "dumb chicken" and having her be quite alright with that is pretty damn cool. I *get* chicken people now

Aw, I'm so sorry.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

JB, so very sorry. I know how much I love my two, Lucy and Ethel. I lost another last year. Still bothers me, I tried everything too.

Best wishes.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Oh, I'm so sorry. I gave up naming mine after a rash of predators took Seven and then Six and then the rest over a few months. They all had their different personalities and big combs or little combs or funny feathers and some were spooky while my favorites would fly up into my lap for a treat. Now they're all a bunch of white chickens but I still know my combs and my rusty feathered ones.
    I'm glad that she went peacefully at the end and you have my sympathy. They might just be big feather dusters but you get so attached, you know?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

aw crap, JB I'm sorry. I've been checking and thinking about you and your chicka this whole time. Been asking all my egg people at work (I work at a feedstore) if they had any ideas for you but as far as I can tell you went above and beyond and there was nothing else you could have done. You did everything and more that every one of my customers and every website I read could recommend. No regrets, you did right by her.

JB, I have been following this thread, and was amazed at all you did for Cindy. I have chickens, and am ashamed to say, I know very little about them, and was impressed what you knew, but also what you attempted to do to save Cindy.
    You did good, and Cindy surely will be awaiting you.
    Godspeed~ and don't beat yourself up or what if...you gave it your all.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

She was beautiful.

So sorry.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I am sorry your Cindy has flown over the rainbow bridge.

Very lovely lady she was.