The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Does anyone know anatomy well enough to tell me if what I'm seeing is normal or Not A Good Thing? When I get Cindy to push, while I'm lubing things up and trying to see the damned egg, all I see is a red membrane It makes me think maybe something is prolapsed which is why the egg is stuck in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    If its a digital 'x-ray', no need for lead gloves or aprons.
    Um, that's so not true. Many digital systems actually emit slightly more radiation than the old plate and film systems. Less scatter, but still-it doesn't matter if your hand is in the beam it's in the beam.

poor hen that looks awful. I feel like I'm watching "hen stare"
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Default No advice but HUGE JINGLES & AO for 'HER" ~ ((hugs)) and patience for her family ~

No advice ... just Jingles & AO ~

Patience and luck ~

Cothers pulling for you two !

Cindy Jingles ~ Come on Cindy !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

More jingles!

Oh my, you are very brave JB. I am not so sure I could do what you are doing.
    Good luck to you and your hen. AOEE
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I've been keeping up with your hen, checking everyday to see how she is doing. Good luck.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Quality Hunter Ponies

Not going well

Something in there, some flap or membrane, is covering the opening, and I can't figure out which part it is or move it out of the way. We got a *small* bit of egg liquid out, but cannot for the life of us get the egg broken to maybe relieve some pressure to free whatever is trapped. So now there's an egg in there with a few holes in it, hopefully nothing in there to drain out.

I don't know what else to do.

My chicken friend thinks it might be an egg in an egg, which is probably even worse

All I can think is that it's in the membrane still and maybe around the edge of the egg is the opening of the membrane. If I were there and pursuing the thought I'd lube lube lube up my finger and try to work a way around it.

Gah JB I'm sorry this is so difficult, I'm reading around on BYC hoping for something helpful but so far no luck.

Is she swollen? didn't someone here mention to use prep H to reduce the swelling to help?

hang in there...

Jingling for your hen. Bless you for helping her. I hope it works.

JINGLES

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I've been following this thread, and know nothing about birds. Can someone explain why a regular vet couldn't sedate, and a syringe couldn't be injected into egg, and fluid sucked out, and then the egg shell broken and removed? That's more simplistic than what would really happen, but I don't understand why a normal non bird vet couldn't help..

Do broken egg shells just inside the vent kill the bird? Or is it the yolk being released inside a bird that can kill it?

Couldn't a regular non bird vet sedate, and lubricate egg to get it out?
    For reasons I do not understand at all; you cannot find a regular vet of any kind to see poultry -- w/ the exception of some avian vets. There is a local vet here who also works with the wildlife rescue and accepts and treats wild birds; but they would not euthanize a deformed poult that I had. We did research, and my husband took care of it and the little guy did not suffer.

I understand biosecurity concerns, but I was more than a little pissed that a vet was unwilling to take my money and come out to the parking lot and put the little guy down We have actually slaughtered and eaten some of our turkeys; but as was mentioned, the more you fool with one that is having problems the more attached you get. And, we were not raised on a farm, so we are missing that Farmer's Grit.

Anyway, it was definitely shocking to me to learn how impossible it is to get a vet to see poultry -- especially given the recent OMG about avian flu.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

JB,

This sucks. I've been thinking about you. How is it going?
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Oh no, jingling for poor little Cindy and you!

If it was an egg in an egg there would be a hint of that on the xray, no? The outer shell came up so cleanly. Guess I just wish I had something constructive to add, you guys have been through so much
    “Let today be the day you stop being haunted by the ghosts from your past. What happened in the past is just one chapter in your story; don’t close the book, just turn the page.”

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    If its a digital 'x-ray', no need for lead gloves or aprons.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It was indeed digital - did not know that about the exposure
    Unless you are referencing a new technology that I am not aware of, digital X-rays still use radiation to produce the exposure. It is the receptor plate technology that is different from analog (plain film) technology. The "digital" aspect of the process replaces the need for chemical development required for analog film with an imaging plate that contains phosphors which can capture the signal, and then that signal is converted to a digital image for display.

There are 2 types, for those who are interested... computed radiography which uses a cassette which is exposed, and then fed through a special reader to convert the image to a digital display and direct radiography, where the image is captured directly on the detector which converts the signal to display without the need for a reader.

Both technologies can reduce the necessary dose required to get a good image, but they still require radiation.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Default Jingles continue for CINDY !!! AO ~ AO ~ AO ~AOOEE

Thursday sunshine Jingles for Miss Cindy

Let it GO !!! CINDY !!!!!

Push Push Push !!!!

Jingles & AO ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Any new morning report? I'm so worried for you and little Cindy. I think I'll give my pooey-bottomed girls a sitz bath this afternoon.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I'm afraid this is sounding worse and worse. How many days has it been?

Ugh, I just don't know what to do!!!!!

I was actually surprised Cindy was still alive this morning. She's no worse for all the invasion we did last night, though no better either.

jetsmom, thanks for that link, unfortunately there's nothing there we haven't already done, and done multiple times

I'm about ready to beg my small animal vet for help in slicing open that membrane to get the damn egg out. If it kills her, well, she's going to die if we can't get it out anyway

Thoughts on that? Precautions to take, knowing I don't really know what part that membrane actually belongs to?

Crackerdog, this has been far too long, sad to say, and it sucks that I didn't know to check to see if this was an egg bound situation in the beginning - thought it was parasites or a bug or something 2+ weeks now, I'm embarrassed to say