The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Much information gleaned from freeesh MANURE ~

MUCH information to be gleaned by freeesh MMANURE !!

Thanks for sharing ~
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

LOL Zu, you know how I am with chicken poop!

Several weeks it took to reach the end. I have had several hens over the years that showed the penguin-like stance. Loss of energy, but still getting around. Poopy-butts, (but not every poopy-butted hen goes south), slowing down, and then 3-4 weeks later getting the penguin look.
    I've only x-rayed one of these hens, and only because I read the Avian Disease Manual that was a text book of a vet friend. "Eggs regurgitated into peritoneal cavity. Cause unknown. Hard or soft shelled eggs/material in peritoneal cavity". That's what we saw on x-ray. Not much help I know. Don't ever read this book. How do chickens survive with all the stuff that can get them?
    But, in Damerow's Chicken Health Handbook, she writes of colibacillosis as another cause of the penguin-like stance, and they die within six months.

There are eight million things that can make a chicken sick. Keeping the sick ones warm and feeding a high protein feed, and giving the right antibiotic seems to be the treatment for many of them.
    My head is swimming right now, just 'cause I looked at the disease manual.

Jingles to Cindy C. You must be doing the right things as she feels better.

Interesting. And yuck. Poor things

Jingles & AO for Cindy ~ ((colors are not working again! i'm lost))))
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks Zu.

She's not worse, but she's not really improved over yesterday either That's discouraging, as the abx should have continued to make her feel better.

As a last resort I'm going to check for an egg in there tonight, but I have to get some KY Jelly. Ack. I suppose I could call my regular small animal vet and see if they could at least xray her?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Thanks Zu.

She's not worse, but she's not really improved over yesterday either That's discouraging, as the abx should have continued to make her feel better.

As a last resort I'm going to check for an egg in there tonight, but I have to get some KY Jelly. Ack. I suppose I could call my regular small animal vet and see if they could at least xray her?
    Make sure that the KY is NOT the sensuous/heat producing type. You have to read the label carefully....;-/ I hope Cindy pulls through this.

2 of my hens have had poo-ey bottoms their whole lives (they are 4 this year) but never have shown any sort of illness. I clean their bottoms under warm running water every few months..
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Jingles & AO continue for Cindy and her family ~

How's she doing? Improved, I hope?

*sigh* not really, but not worse either. The last 36 hours have produced poop that's much more towards the normal looking end of things, but still occasionally just "water".

She clucks a lot when she poops, like it's not comfortable

I got the KY out last night but just wasn't sure how far I could go. There's something gritty at the opening on the right, smooth on the left. Honestly, it's *hard* back there, about the size of an egg. I just don't know how much I can do, how far I can get a finger in there, etc. If I do nothing and it's an egg, she's going to die. If I do something to try to get it out and it breaks, she's probably going to die

She eats great if you offer it to her - bugs, food, pumpkin, no keen on oatmeal, loves eggs. But then it's as if she just forgets about it until the next time it's offered.

I put her outside for a few hours today in the sun - she enjoyed that, laying over and stretching her wings out. She pecked in the dirt I dug up, but didn't offer any scratching on her own. I've noticed she does not scratch the straw *at all* in the crate, nor did she outside. She's just not comfortable

Well crud. Maybe there's a vet that will check her all out for you? It will ease your mind and it might be good to get some help with it one way or another... it can drag out forever with a sick chicken! A bird vet might be a good help maybe if you can even call one for a quick phone consultation...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both.

When we lived in the city I took a hen to a vet. Just called around until I found one that did exotic birds and convinced the staff that my Cuckoo Maran counted as exotic...

The vet was reasonably helpful - and was able to get me better drugs than I could get on my own. The hen did make it and moved up to the farmette with us (where she met a coyote and lost).

My vet will take a look at my birds and prescribe anything I decide I need for the birds with the caveat, "I don't know anything about birds". But, definitely call your vet about the x-ray.

That way you will know what you are (or aren't) dealing with.

Did you de-worm her?
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Also, if stuff seems close to the vent, then maybe some oral olive oil?

And, a warm epsom salt bath sounds soothing
    http://hencam.com/faq/egg-bound-hens/

Good Luck to Sick Chicken
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I had not found that hencam site, thank you! I love the idea of some olive oil, and tonight I think I will absolutely do another bath with epsom salts this time.

I did end up deworming her, just in case, with fenbendazole.

Try feeding her raw egg yolk with her food maybe? I know everyone on BYC says to feed egg yolks to chickens who are ill or injured.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I'm afraid to feed her raw egg as I've only heard that increases the chances they will start eating eggs they lay, where they are. I do feed her cooked eggs though

I don't think it does-I feed mine eggs all the time. Just don't have it sitting in broken shell particles when you feed it to her, give it a stir. if you have the right nesting boxes (9 inches high) and pick up your eggs she won't start eating them when she's over all this.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm afraid to feed her raw egg as I've only heard that increases the chances they will start eating eggs they lay, where they are. I do feed her cooked eggs though
    I feed my hens eggs all the time and noone eats their own eggs, out of about 50 layers. It's an old wives' tale like a horse will start cribbing if it sees another horse cribbing.

Just do the yolk, so make a white cake or egg white omelet and give her the yolks...lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

What benefit is there feeding raw over boiled? Just curious.

And no one can tell me how far into her vent I can try to go to feel for an egg? I'm not getting much help on BYC .

Tonight will be a good soak in Epsom salt water then a KY intrusion again. I could put some in a syringe and squirt it up there to start - ?

Maybe I'll just have to ask our cat/dog vet if they would at least X-ray her.