The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Patriot Solarguard 155 Electric Fence Charger

Anyone have one of these? Link:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...e-44f3751e4575

The local farm store has a steal of deal on them, but I can't seem to find any feedback online about their performance. I'm looking at using it to charge an interior strand of electric to keep horses off an existing wire fence...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

We sell Patriots at the feed store I work at... we get very good feedback from them, haven't had a single one returned or replaced, and the local apiary in addition to Fish and Game are using them throughout the wilderness here to keep grizzly and black bears out of the honey hives with total success. They're buying a bigger stronger version of the fencer that costs closer to $270 but the apiary bought ten of them without batting an eye b/c he said it was the only fencer that worked on the bears that he's found in 40 years. The company has been good to deal with and the customers are happy with the fencers. For what it's worth!

Hmmmm I need a new fence charger, I might have to check into these!

Thanks for the info, cowboymom! I think I'm going to try it since they have them at such a great price. I'll try to remember to re-post with results.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Please do report back! We're still using an ancient Parmak Fieldmaster that we bought fifteen years ago so I haven't used a Patriot myself. At the store we are considering going entirely to Parmaks and Patriots so I'll be interested in your opinion!

Happy fencing!

The Parmak seems to be the top reviewed online and what I was going to order, but we're having to do a TON of improvements to the pasture at our new place. If I can save a good chunk of change on a fence charger without compromising quality *too* much, I'm all for it!