The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Any suggestions for my poor sick hen? #109 RIP Cindy Chickie

I'm not certain she's not egg bound, but I thought she'd be dead by now if she was.

Symptoms started 7+ days ago with some diarrhea. Kept a close eye on her, acting normal, washed her butt a few times, clipped her feathers all under there. Not improving but not getting worse.

In the last couple of days she started slowing down, and Friday I started her on tetracycline (Tylan 50). Since Friday she's been in her own crate and in the garage (put her outside, in crate, in the sun for most of yesterday).

She's not eating well and suddenly lost a lot of weight. She's drinking. She's sleeping a lot, and I have not noticed her lay down to sleep

I "soaked" her yesterday in a steam bath for 4 hours, per egg bound protocol. Her vent area IS hard, and I swear after all the steam yesterday it changed shape like an egg shifted. WTH do I do now?

She's a 6-7 month old Cochin hen. She's free ranging during the day, in a large coop at night. 11 other chickens including 2 roos who are not sick. Oyster shells are readily available, though they don't get eaten very quickly. They have a Layer pellet always avaliable, and sometimes come nibble that during the day but mostly eat/forage outside.

I'm trying to research calcium gluconate injections to see if this is something I can get and do - any info?

I just found a video on treating this and her mannerisms don't seem to match though - it said she should be walking "like a penguin" with her butt down from the weight of the eggs. She also never was in/out/in/out of the coop to lay. I must admit I am not sure which eggs are hers, and honestly, some of them aren't laying in the coop so if egg bound is a problem, it's not something I would have noticed right away from not seeing her eggs

I just can't imagine she wouldn't be dead by now, a week later, if this was the problem. What else would cause her rear to be hard like this? Nobody around here treats chickens - I got the advice of the tetracycline from a vet I know a few counties over.
    Last edited by JB; Oct. 20, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Default Jingles & Hengles for your sick hen ~ AO ~

No advice = know absolutely 0 about chickens/hen/rooosters ````

just

JINGLES & "HENGLES" for your hen ~

AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Alway Optimistic ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Have you checked her for mites? Or wormed her with at least piperazine?

Sometimes if a hen is feeling a bit down, or has a weaker system, they'll get an ingestion of round worms or mites even tho the rest of the flock is fine.

I'd put her under a heat lamp, offer water, feed and applesauce with cinnamon, and worm her. You can check for mites looking under her wings - they'll scurry away and you may see their eggs.

Thank you Zu!

Here's my Cindy Chickie

Cool Cindy is lovely ~ thanks for sharing and AO !!!!

Cindy is lovely !

thanks for sharing ~ wishing AO !

Hoping she is feeling better today ~

Urban - I'll do that check, thanks.

She hasn't been wormed, and I was going to do that but decided to hold off only because I had started the tetracycline and really wanted to know which one worked (assuming one did/will).

Applesauce - good idea. What's the cinnamon for - just taste?

Here's an oddity - she has a big saucer (it's a plastic planter bottom) of Layer pellets in the crate with her. She prefers to stand near it, and has ended up pooping in it on one edge. Until I could get that little section cleaned out I just turned the saucer so the pooped on stuff was at the far edge. She purposefully moved around and ate a few pellets that had expanded from the diarrhea

Oh, I have also started her on a probiotic, both because of the abx and in case the diarrhea is from some bacterial imbalance (it's both a pre- and probiotic).

My mom had a hen doing this earlier this year-we did all the abx and special food we could think of and the hen kept going downhill until Mom mentioned that the chicken was "choking" and gasping for air occasionally, which she took as a death knell... but it made me realize what was wrong-gapeworm. A cc of fenbendazole and the chicken completely recovered.

I would worm now and not necessarily wait, when they start to crash they can go fast. I would worm her with the fenben now.

Cocci can cause diarrhea though it's usually seen in the spring or when it's damp...there are specific wormers and abx for all the things that could be ailing her if it's something like that. Try one, try another, keep going through them if you can. Sulmet is good for cocci....

Sugar water will perk her up a bit... there are lots of foods that will entice them to eat but until you figure out what's going on you're just rearranging chairs. I give them sugar water and then feed them while they're perked up.

ETA if she went for the moist pellets (no matter how they got moist ick!) it was probably the texture she was after, soak her pellets or give her soft food. that also makes me think gapeworm b/c they basically constrict their throats...

Is piperazine the rx for gapeworm?

I did end up giving her some soaked food and she loved it!

Fenbendazole is recommended for gapeworm-that's what my mom used. Possibly pip too but I don't remember that from what I found at the time. It does help with other worms though but as I recall, not gapeworms...

My sick hens really liked mashed potatoes or scrambled eggs.

In looking up gapeworm I don't think that's it. She's not breathing hard, no neck stretching, and it sounds like she'd be dead by now.

Still, I'll get ivermectin as that seems to also be broad spectrum for chickens. However, I can't for the life of me find what dose of what % ivermectin or fenbendazole! I'd like to not get a $35 bottle of Valbazen!

Ok, Looks like 1/4-1/2cc dose of fenbendazole 10% for a hen her size. Still can't find a direct dose for ivermectin, only how much to put in water and I don't way to trust she'll drink enough especially now that she's eating soaked pellets.

ivermectin is such a safe wormer... when I've dosed my chickens with it in the past I just give a cc.

Look up internal layers. It's different from being egg bound. I've had hens do this more often than actually being egg bound. They start with similar symptoms, but do reach that very characteristic penguin-like appearance.
    I took a hen in to be euthanized, then x-rayed just to see, and she surely had jibbled-up egg- shell material throughout her abdomen.
    It's been a lost cause in my experiences, sorry to say.
    But Cindy C could simply have worms, or something, and will recover with your good care. She's got the Zu Zu jingles happening. That always makes me feel better

Well that would just suck wouldn't it Did she have diarrhea?

I may be a bit optimistic but I THINK her poop is a little firmer today. The last several days it's just been watery goo just sort of oozing out. Today I've seen a few piles that, while still quite runny, had a bit more substance to it.

Tonight is #3 tetracycline, so I guess if it's a bacterial issue she should perk up even more.

What troubles me most is she won't lay down. That tells me something does not feel good inside, and I'm really just afraid it's an egg thing

Leaf, how long between seeing symptoms in your girl and realizing it was a lost cause?

Oh no! no advice but jingles for Cindy Chickie!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

I always ask questions on backyardchickens.com forums. As helpful as COTH but for chickens. It's as addictive as COTH, be warned. Fun, experienced helpful chicken peeps (no pun intended)

I have been scouring BYC for a while now It's certainly a great place. I've just put off joining and asking because I don't need another addition LOL!

On the news front - getting meds into her last night was difficult to put it mildly That's a big change from the first 2 nights.

She also went NUTS last night when a moth started flying around her crate. I managed to catch it, and when I opened my hand for her, the next thing I saw was its wings disappearing down her beak LOL

Default Sunshine Jingles for "hen" ~ sounding better ? right ?!

YA HOOO ~~~ color works when one edits !!!
    Sunshine Jingles & AO for "hen" oops what a morning !

Third try ~ here goes !

Sunshine Jingles for "Hen" ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

*color is not working ! Sunshine Jingles & AO for "hen" ~~~~ name please !? icons not working !!!! oH NO !!! how will I possibly post today !!!?!?
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Sounds good, JB, sounds like she's turned the corner!

Gosh I hope so. She's still "tired" looking, but I did find more poop that is even less runny, fresh, so... She loved her fresh boiled egg this morning