The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Many miniature Schnauzers do calm down with age. Mine all have. The boy was much slower to settle down (think age 10+), but he was always a bundle of energy. He actually started acting older when he came down with liver disease. Mine have always had some kind of doggy door, and a yard, so the only problem time for housetraining was in Colorado, but that was during very bad weather. My boy and girl would hold it forever to avoid going out during a blizzard, and I couldn't blame them for that.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

You all are swaying me more and more to the Cavalier King Charles and Papillons. I primarily want a good companion, and both breeds sound like they would fit the bill. Does anyone know how they are to potty-train? One thing that puts me off of Pekes a bit is that they can be hard to consistently go outside.
    I have an intact male and an intact female Cavalier, and there are no puddles in the house - not even when Patty is in heat. Willie will cry (ok, have the screaming meemies) for her, but will not mark in the house. He does, however, claim the entirety of the back yard! I have also taught him not to mark while walking unless he is released to do so - I really hate the rivers of pee at some dog shows and won't contribute to that!

I haven't found any of my dogs to be particularly difficult to housebreak. My miniature poodle was easiest, Willie needed a "refresher course" when he hit adolescence, and Patty was about average. She does not like to go out in the rain, but she will hurry up and pee to come back inside, because she knows darn well I'll be making sure she's drained before she does!

Crate training seems to work best for me and my dogs.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I have to throw in a Bichon-Frise as an option. I have know several (though never had one myself) and they have all been such HAPPY dogs. Not a lot of barking, a nice small size, but love to go for walks or curl up on the couch. Much less high-energy than any of the terrier-types or greyhound varieties, and not nearly as yappy as poodles.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Which ever breed you decide on, I'd start your search at a breed specific rescue. These types of rescues are wonderful because they typically have the dog in a foster home for a thorough eval of temperament. During that time the foster home will get to know their quirks, cat friendly or not, get them potty trained, know their energy level, are they obedient, submissive, bold, etc. When you place an application you have to be specific in what you're looking for. They be able to provide you with the right dog for your needs.

I volunteer for a Bull Terrier rescue. We have a very thorough adoption & evaluation process. Its a wonderful rescue group and there are many out there just like us! The more specific you are about what you need, the better chance for a successful match. There are SO many perks to adopting an adult dog - you know what you're going to get, no potty training (usually), health issues are known, and it feels really good to adopt a dog in need. With puppies, you never really know what you're going to get. There are no gaurantees.

Good luck with your search. A homeless dog is looking for you too.

You all are swaying me more and more to the Cavalier King Charles and Papillons. I primarily want a good companion, and both breeds sound like they would fit the bill. Does anyone know how they are to potty-train? One thing that puts me off of Pekes a bit is that they can be hard to consistently go outside.
    Before getting a Cavalier King Charles, I would do some research on the high incidence of mitral valve issues in the breed. I know two families who went through rather grim situations with this in young, carefully-selected dogs.

As for Papillons, I had a half-Papillon for 16.5 years. His other half was Chihuahua. You can see him here. He was my all-time favourite dog but he was not exactly low-maintenance. He was charming, independent, and ruthlessly manipulative, and not just with me. If he came back to life, my other dog, my two cats and my SO would all walk out the door and never return.

Silly me. I never realized he was a tyrant in the house -- it always seemed quiet and harmonious -- but that's how complete his control was. While I miss him, I don't miss all the extra work of checking up on him constantly. If he wasn't sitting next to me, there was no telling what he'd got up to.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Before getting a Cavalier King Charles, I would do some research on the high incidence of mitral valve issues in the breed. I know two families who went through rather grim situations with this in young, carefully-selected dogs.

As for Papillons, I had a half-Papillon for 16.5 years. His other half was Chihuahua. You can see him here. He was my all-time favourite dog but he was not exactly low-maintenance. He was charming, independent, and ruthlessly manipulative, and not just with me. If he came back to life, my other dog, my two cats and my SO would all walk out the door and never return.

Silly me. I never realized he was a tyrant in the house -- it always seemed quiet and harmonious -- but that's how complete his control was. While I miss him, I don't miss all the extra work of checking up on him constantly. If he wasn't sitting next to me, there was no telling what he'd got up to.

Sigh, maybe I should just stick with cats. Or just go to Lollypop and trust in them to find me an appropriate mutt.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Sigh, maybe I should just stick with cats. Or just go to Lollypop and trust in them to find me an appropriate mutt.
    Louise, I hate to tell you but last time when I went (before I started looking at other shelters on line) they were totally useless. I had gotten dogs there before(4 total) and had pretty decent help, but not last time unfortunately. I even waited to make sure all the kids were back in school figuring there would be people with time to help. If you go, and I realize it isn't going to be right away, I do hope you have better luck than I recently had.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I'm a cat person, and I love my Iggies (Husband is allergic to cats) They are about as cat as you can get in dog form. My male was/is hard to keep solid on the potty training thing, my female came potty trained from day one. The male is definately more representative of the breed.

Broken legs are a HUGE problem with Iggies. My girl broke hers as a puppy by jumping off the couch. My male broke his at 3 years old from running through the grass. We think he stepped in a hole while he was at top speed. Both breaks, and most all iggy breaks, required surgery to pin the leg back together. Iggies are about the only breed I would reccomend keeping intact until after they hit puberty. They don't need the extra height that early spay/neuter causes. It can cost several thousand dollars to fix a broken iggy leg.

That being said they are the most adorable, snuggly, super cuddly dogs I have ever met. Deep down I know that they are just snuggling up to me because they have no body fat whatsoever and they're cold even in Hawaiian weather, but it's still heartbreakingly cute.

Default Italian Greyhounds rule!

I'm a huge IGGY lover. Had my old man Carlo for 9 years (was 3 when I got him) and have now had my new girl Penny for a year (was 1 when I got her).

They are so cat like, and dog like....and something else akin to a house-elf.

I have been (knock on wood) fortunate to have durable models, but they are very delicate dogs. Sweet in nature...sweet in scent. They don't have "dog odor", more like perpetual puppy smell.

If you're looking for a delicate, affectionate, clean and sweet dog, you should consider one!

I got a pug/poodle mix from a shelter about 4 years ago. She is AWESOME. She has the softest fur, sort of poodle fur but less curly. She has a pug body and face except her nose is slightly more elongated - which is a good thing! She has the pug shoulder rolls of skin and is a snorty, happy hilarious funny little thing. She loves to snuggle, go on car rides, has energy to play but more than happy to loaf too. She is about 20 lbs.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com