The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dogvacay.com

Anyone used this service? Anyone a host?

Stumbled across this tonight, and I'm considering signing up as a host. I have made money in the past house sitting, but my current job doesn't really allow it. I love dog sitting and my dog is super dog friendly and likes the occasional guest.

Is it a horrible idea? Or a fun one?

(I manage a barn and live on the property, so lots of room to play and I'm around all day, so I can walk non-off leash dogs a lot over some fun territory.)

Rover.com is the way to go--they are much bigger, and have a busier marketplace. I've already "sat" 7 or 8 dogs, and made some decent money. Also, I'd recommend that you sign up for their sitter insurance--it's $50 per year, and if you agree, they will deduct this from the profits of your first sitting. Pretty slick.

good luck.

Hi Amanda!

I actually work at DogVacay.com. I can't speak for Rover.com but I know that here at DogVacay.com, we work hard everyday to ensure the best possible experience for our users. We have thousands of hosts, offer complimentary insurance, and provide emergency support and veterinary care. Also, our premium insurance is offered at $39 a year for up to $25,000 of coverage so if anything happens, you're covered. If you have any further questions, feel free to give us a ring at (855) 364-8222. Glad to help!

Best,
    Priscilla

hmm. I love how both responses were from 1st time posters. I'd love some "real" feedback too, that service is an interesting idea

Cool I dunno

The lovelydovey talk irks me. Definitely looks like hosts are competing with their rhyming anthropomorphized ad titles so I guess business is good. It's like a highly specialized craigslist: put your pup in the home and hands of an amateur stranger who omg wuvs wittle furbabieeeees. Snort.

Contracts? In the event of injury to host or pet...? Is each host required to provide background info? Hopefully owners are required to fill out the same plus otherwise it is the same level of risk from a Craigslist arrangement (dog could be dumped, host could be stiffed payment, dog could be mistreated or disappeared). Glad to see dogvacay provides insurance coverage...

I would rather pay a professional dogsitting service if I couldn't secure a friend or family member.