The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Yeah, but the cost of everything hasn't gone up 10x either. 2 to 3 times but not 10.

FP can borrow as much money as she wants, as long as she pays it off. But I do feel sorry for her carrying that much debt. It's not practical.
    I hate to tell you but vet school is over 200k for four years. I don't know any college student that can afford that without help of lots of loans. Theyaree in school most of the day, o they get a night job and make minimum wage but they also have to sleep. There is no way a student is going to be able to do this now days with paying for living also. Even the most responsible. I have a
    friend that wants to go to vet school. Her mother works 3 jobs and she works 2 and also in a 4 year college taking a full load. With our hope plans and grants she still needs help with tuition and books but they can make up that difference. When it comes to vet school there will be no way except to get loans. Are you saying that if you cane afford to pay 50k a year out of your pocket for tuition you shouldn't follow your dream job? And believe me with her 2 jobs she won't make no where near that a year.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Use of taxpayers dollars is everyone's business who pays taxes. You don't want people to take a look at how you use government money? Then don't post about it on a public forum.
    OMG.. don't you think you have much more to worry in the US than FP's use of her student loans? There are much bigger fish to fry down your way!! How sad this has become!

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    Why is FP not to be criticized but the poor person who tried to help her is called out and then her son made fun of even though sounds like even FP defenders is admitting she did something wrong (college type stuff?) [edit] That is pretty bad stuff. Forgetting all the rest of it I find that pretty awful. Course FP did not post that so can't put that on her but on her friend.
    Know nothing about this.
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Oct. 8, 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: to remove personal attacks

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Use of taxpayers dollars is everyone's business who pays taxes. You don't want people to take a look at how you use government money? Then don't post about it on a public forum.
    Did I miss the post where FP divulged what type of student loans she's taken out? For all we know (which is none of our business) she's using private student loans, which can also be referred to as Financial Aid.

"If you apply for financial aid, your school will likely include student loans as part of your financial aid package. It’s important to understand what types of loans you are offered. Generally, there are two types of student loans:

Federal student loans: These loans are funded by the federal government.
    Private student loans: These loans are nonfederal loans, made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, state agency, or a school."

http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/federal-vs-private

Whether or not you think she's being responsible with the loans she's taken out is one thing, but blatantly suggesting she's illegally or fraudulently using federal taxpayer funds when you don't have all the facts is another.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Oct. 8, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    OMG.. don't you think you have much more to worry in the US than FP's use of her student loans? There are much bigger fish to fry down your way!! How sad this has become!
    She thinks it's a big deal. Posted it on a public forum. Heck, that's more brazen than Bernie Madoff.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Yes, it may not be a Federal loan. But there is enough of an online trail here and from previous postings that even an amateur sleuth could determine which type of loan(s) they are and whether or not they were used fraudently.

The point is, you post personal/financial information on a BB, you may wish you hadn't.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

[QUOTE=trubandloki;6597091]I

I am not for using student loans for all kinds of not school related things but from what I understand vehicles are considered acceptable use of student loans because being able to get to and from school constitutes a necessary school expense in some cases.
    QUOTE]

Uh, a truck & a horse trailer? Does she own a horse that's enrolled in school too, thus needing transportation to class? And where does the trip to Europe fit in?

I think using any extra money as payment to lower the principal would go a long way to reduce the total debt of the loan. Any kind of loan. I shortened the mortgage on my house that way.

So yeah, sending any extra money back would be a pretty good idea.

Barcardi,

I think you are missing one big point.
    You take out a loan of a projected expense amount at the beginning of a semester/term. At the end of the term the bank does not say 'hand me back everything you did not use'. At the beginning you determine, with the bank, what you will need. If you ate ramen and they allowed for you to each mac & cheese so you have monies left over they are not stomping their feet except for the agreed payment schedule.

Default Federal vs. Private Student Loans

I won't comment on what FP is doing or whether it's "right or wrong", but there's a lot of "pitchforking" going on here and a TON of misinformation/assumption in the process.

First, it's extremely difficult to find a private professional school in the Caribbean that will take federal student loan money. FP said it herself, and then another poster that also attends a school in the islands verified that vet schools in the islands often do not take federal student loan money.

So there you have it. FP likely does not have federal student loans.

Second, private student loans are BIG business. They are EXTREMELY easy to get, and come with almost no stipulations regarding how you can spend them. They are underwritten by the banks that issue them, the same way any private loan would be underwritten. They're typically viewed as a poor way to finance your education, but when there's no other option, it's how A LOT of people pay. I imagine this is how FP is buying a truck and trailer and financing a European vacation with student loans (I have a lot of friends and close family members in grad school right now, and none of them would be able to use their federal loans to do any of this). Private student loans are HUGELY unregulated. Yes, it's getting better, but it's a SHOCKINGLY unregulated business, and it's not difficult to secure money in the way FP describes, particularly for an education that results in a Dr. of Medicine degree from a foreign institution.

If FP has private student loans (which is extremely likely considering she went to school in the Caribbean and her school does not accept US federal student loans as confirmed on this thread by a student at the same school), she is not committing fraud or doing anything illegal. She is simply using borrowed money to do what she feels like doing. Meaning the only person she's hurting is herself. So let's not be dramatic and start posting the phone number to the FBI.
    Last edited by FrenchFrytheEqHorse; Oct. 8, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Yes, it may not be a Federal loan. But there is enough of an online trail here and from previous postings that even an amateur sleuth could determine which type of loan(s) they are and whether or not they were used fraudently.

The point is, you post personal/financial information on a BB, you may wish you hadn't.
    Right and the moralistic question is since when is it your right to encourage or supply others with the means to prosecute her?

Her loans are her business not ours and certainly not your right to be her judge and jury.

You're a piece of work .. and not the kind people flock to admire.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I am confused that if Mike thinks this should be reported why he did not bother to do it himself instead of posting the information about how to report it.

Not the FBI, but maybe more appropriate.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...meninblack.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	men in black.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	36879  

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Oct. 8, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: to remove personal attack

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Right and the moralistic question is since when is it your right to encourage or supply others with the means to prosecute her?

Her loans are her business not ours and certainly not your right to be her judge and jury.

You're a piece of work .. and not the kind people flock to admire.
    You post personal/financial information on a public internet forum, you just made it everyone's business. In fact, by doing so you want everyone to know your business. HEY LOOK AT ME! OVER HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Barcardi,

I think you are missing one big point.
    You take out a loan of a projected expense amount at the beginning of a semester/term. At the end of the term the bank does not say 'hand me back everything you did not use'. At the beginning you determine, with the bank, what you will need. If you ate ramen and they allowed for you to each mac & cheese so you have monies left over they are not stomping their feet except for the agreed payment schedule.
    Ahh, but if you were even remotely a semi-adult & had even half a brain, knowing that you'll be ending up with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt, would you not put any extra dollars into a bank account instead of buying a truck, trailer, & European vacation? Not to mention BRAGGING about all of this on a public BB forum? Sounds like stupidity compounded on top of stupidity.

And as others have clearly pointed out - don't want your private life aired & discussed on the internet? Then don't post your private life on the internet. Decide otherwise? Then too f*cking bad re: the comments made about you & your lifestyle. That's the way it goes.

One has to hope that the vet clinic that hires FP doesn't go internet searching about her. Could come back to bite her in the *ss.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I am confused that if Mike thinks this should be reported why he did not bother to do it himself instead of posting the information about how to report it.
    Consider it a PSA. There may be consequences to posting personal/financial/your-life-story on a public internet forum. Don't do it.

Consider it a PSA. There can be consequences to posting personal/financial information on a public forum. Don't do it.
    So your like what the COTH hallway monitor ... oh no's better be good Mike's watching

:[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Oct. 8, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Interesting? Nope. Just another cheater.
    Wow. how nasty are you? That is so uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Yeah, but the cost of everything hasn't gone up 10x either. 2 to 3 times but not 10.
    Yeah. So the education that used to cost 10k a year now costs 30-40. no biggie I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Ahh, but if you were even remotely a semi-adult & had even half a brain, knowing that you'll be ending up with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt
    I hope you are satisfied that your nastiness might be something that a future employer could read. You're an a**.

I can not believe the way some of you are behaving on this board. Disgusting.