The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

This may be of interest to some posting here. BBs will cooperate with law enforcement. Check the terms of agreement when you signed up here. Always be careful about what you report financially on a BB. It might come back to bite you.

To report Student Loan Fraud:

U.S. Department of Education, Office of the Inspector General
    Phone: 1-800-MIS-USED
    Email: oig.hotline@ed.gov
    Online Complaint Forms: English | Español

Anyone suspecting fraud, waste or abuse involving Department of Education funds or programs should call or write the Inspector General's Hotline (choose the method of contact which best suits you):

Send an email message to oig.hotline@ed.gov

Call the OIG Hotline's toll free number 1-800-MIS-USED. The Hotline's operating hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM, Eastern Time; Tuesday and Thursday, 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM, Eastern Time except for holidays.

Complete and submit a Complaint Form (English, Español)

To ensure complete anonymity, download a hardcopy of the special complaint form complete, and mail to:

Inspector General's Hotline
    Office of Inspector General
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-1500
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Is everyone who is criticizing FP perfect??

Perhaps she is not perfect, but I daresay no one else is either.

I am very very disappointed in this thread.

I think EqTrainer, who has had substantive real life dealings with her is the one I will listen to.

This.^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post

I think EqTrainer, who has had substantive real life dealings with her is the one I will listen to.
    Oh puhleeze - "cast the first stone" my ass. I just don't feel like paying taxes to support FP's truck, trailer, & trip to Europe. Wouldn't mind paying taxes to support her education. But the rest? No thanks.

Where do you FP supporters think the money for student loans comes from? The "Free Spirit" fairy?

Just like PP before her, now it is FP's turn to be judged and sentenced by the court of COTH.

Once again, this should be a lesson for everyone.... DO NOT post your personal info on a BB.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Where do you FP supporters think the money for student loans comes from? The "Free Spirit" fairy?
    I do not believe she said grant, she said loan. Loan means paid back, with interest even.

Even government student loans are not welfare, they are not free monies.

I am not for using student loans for all kinds of not school related things but from what I understand vehicles are considered acceptable use of student loans because being able to get to and from school constitutes a necessary school expense in some cases.

I do not know the terms of the loan FP took out so I am not going to stand here and say she is using the money incorrectly. I do have one thought, school is over and this is monies she did not end up spending for food/shelter/books/labs/etc, was she supposed to put it in an envelope and send it back to them and say oops, sorry?

If she was taking a trip the summer before her freshman year using student loan money I would feel very differently.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Waiting on xrays. Still on tiny key board. I know all three of her dogs and she takes great care of them. The one at my house has had some issues and she is always on top of it. Yes she really did just graduate at NCSU. And as far as the rest goes, I just don't understand why anyone here has taken it upon themselves the witch hunt her and question her life. What has this place turned into? This used to be a community, where we focused on information and doing good things. This is sad and not just a little sick.
    <clapping> I guess some folks just have too much time on their hands. Why everyone feels the need to research past posts and exercise their mad googling skills is beyond me. If you don't have anything nice to say, sit on your fingers. Nobody is being hurt here. The people who know her and have her pets are defending her. That speaks volumes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Forgiveness for student loans, be they veterinary or otherwise, ought to be linked to some benefit to the public that underwrote them.
    I was listening to a program on the radio about this very thing (disclaimer it was NPR) and that was exactly what was being proposed. That after X amount of years of paying back the loans - I think at least 10 - then as long as the person was working towards the public good the loans could be forgive. So a doctor, teacher, therapist or any number of professions could qualify. I thought it seemed like a fair program.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    <clapping> Nobody is being hurt here. The people who know her and have her pets are defending her. That speaks volumes to me.

You know, that's actually not true if the PM's I've received are to be believed. I actually know one person who PMd me, she's an honest and truthful person, and I have to believe what I've been told is true. You've seen what happened to the one person who spoke out. She's left COTH because of it.

As for not posting personal info on COTH, well she had to or she wouldn't have had all the kind offers of money,tack, supplies, housing and food, would she?

And BTW, many student loans are subsidized by our tax $$. That's why they're called subsidized loans.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I think EqTrainer, who has had substantive real life dealings with is the one I will listen to.
    agreed. Coth has become a place where you can come and cry and some posters willl help you... but beware, you owe them your life! Sheesh...

Whatever happens to FP and her loans is her business. I am glad she is finally trying to enjoy life a little.

Quote Originally Posted by SarEQ View Post
    Wait. Are you saying that your husband went to four years of med school and only had to take out a loan of 30 thousand? My DH is currently in med school. Tuition alone for one year is well above that. Plus books, supplies, tests, residency applications...

I get having common sense about how much you borrow. But I don't know of anyone in his class who is escaping with debt that equals just one year of tuition. Right now he is in rotations and it costs nearly a thousand bucks a week. All the common sense in the world won't make us wealthy enough to afford this without loans. Glad your DH got off that easy, but higher loans aren't a sign of lack of common sense.
    That's exactly what I am saying. In fact I think it was 28K. He graduated in '93. No undergrad debt because he had a partial scholarship and worked summers to pay for the rest. UNC is not as good of a deal now as it was then, because of in-state financial crises since that time but still.... you shouldn't borrow more than you can pay off in a reasonable time with the job you expect to get. He never would have considered going to Duke to become a family physician, for instance. (Not just for the cost of the tuition but other reasons too. lol)

His debt after medical school WAS low, as UNC was a great deal at that time as I have said. I realize that. It's just that 300K blows my mind. Unless you can make a LOT of money when you graduate, or have someone else to pay a mortgage or rent, things are going to be tough. Just my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    He graduated in '93.
    You do realize that 1993 was quite awhile ago, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You know, that's actually not true if the PM's I've received are to be believed.
    Laura, you know I like you, and you've been very helpful to me. I am grateful for that.

However, please -- let people who've had bad experiences post, if they want to. It is not helpful to spread rumors -- because how do you know, really know, if the PMs are true or not. You don't. And it isn't your business either. Nor mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You do realize that 1993 was quite awhile ago, right?
    Yeah, but the cost of everything hasn't gone up 10x either. 2 to 3 times but not 10.

FP can borrow as much money as she wants, as long as she pays it off. But I do feel sorry for her carrying that much debt. It's not practical.

Well, I'm perfect.

But I'm not doing any criticizing.

My policy is to be kind to everyone and try not to judge. You just don't know what is going on behind closed doors so it is best to just be pleasant and carry on.

(not saying I always succeed but I'm trying)

This is going too far. Really. Just too far. Last I checked nobody was perfect. While some folks may have been hurt, it's really between those individuals and FP. This has become a witch hunt and it's just ugly. Stop and think about the pile-on that's happening here. People trying to get their revenge? By ruining somebody's life? Really? Let it go or speak directly with FP.

This is no new Internet phenomenon. Salem witch hunt, perhaps?

Die, thread, die. Die a quick and ignoble death.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    [I]To report Student Loan Fraud:
    Are you serious Mike ... really go back to posting your over abundance of rarely funny videos. Suggesting or encouraging that people should report her is what is wrong with this world today. People need to learn to mind their own business.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Use of taxpayers dollars is everyone's business who pays taxes. You don't want people to take a look at how you use government money? Then don't post about it on a public forum.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Why is FP not to be criticized but the poor person who tried to help her is called out and then her son made fun of even though sounds like even FP defenders is admitting she did something wrong (college type stuff?) [edit] That is pretty bad stuff. Forgetting all the rest of it I find that pretty awful. Course FP did not post that so can't put that on her but on her friend.
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Oct. 8, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: to remove personal attack

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Use of taxpayers dollars is everyone's business who pays taxes. You don't want people to take a look at how you use government money? Then don't post about it on a public forum.
    If they agreed that she qualified for 300k worth of loans. As long as she pays them back as agreed she is doing NOTHING illegal.

As someone stated earlier what is she supposed to do put the leftovers in a little envelope and mail it back ?? Since typically funds are distributed through the school as appropriate and any extra handed over to the student. Unless her funds were specifically hypothecated she has the right to spend them on what she wishes period.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"