The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I take it you have never been through the vet school application process?

I believe only 1 or 2 vet schools in the United States allow a person to establish residency for tuition purposes if they were initially enrolled as out-of-state. When working on applications, the majority of them had a statement in their supplemental application that said something along the lines of 'If enrolled as an out-of-state/nonresident student, you will retain nonresident status for tuition purposes for the duration of time at this university even if you have established residency with the state.'

Unless you are meaning move to the state of the school you want to get in to a year before applications. That is another, even more complicated process for vet school applications. And with the number of applicants per open spot...eek.
    Yeah, you'd have to live in the state for a year before going to school. I know how it works. Vet school isn't different from any other school.

But hey, if people want to wrack up more debt than they can pay off, well... that's pretty stupid.

I have this to say about those student loans: you will reget this later. Speaking from experience, and I borrowed much less, it becomes a real burden later on when life throws you a curve ball. They must be paid, and if you don't pay them, the interest starts adding up, and the mountain just gets bigger.

For someone like FP, a "free spirit," it will probably become a real hardship. Free money now, but it all comes to back to bite you in the rear. They cannot be forgiven, you can't stop paying them even if you go bankrupt, and if you don't pay, the government just finds a way to get it.

Get loans if you need them, obviously, but be aware of the consequences of all that borrowing. I used mine for stuff like FP did, to some extent, and I am truly sorry now fifteen years later. Just a PSA for those who might be tempted!

As for the other stuff, well, the "Pray Eat Love" author made a boatload of money from her flee from life, so who are we to judge? That book infuriated me because most of us can't go to Europe and learn Italian to escape our unhappiness, but obviously it struck a cord with a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    I will be making a mortgage payment on my loans for 30 years. I invested in myself and was glad I did.
    I'm also glad I invested in FatPalomino's life, and the lives of her horses and dogs. Having met her in real life, I wouldn't change one thing I have done for or with her.

Some of you really need to find something interesting and worthwhile to do with your time and energy.
    Alis volat propriis.

I talked to her on the phone for an hour last spring, per my offer for her to come visit here too.

Nothing she has done since contradicts anything she said in that conversation.

None of it is my business anyway. I had absolutely no expectations of her. She was pretty cool to talk to and didn't ask me for anything whatsoever.

I'm hoping that the dog in question in that conversation is the one that is with EqTrainer...

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    DH went to medical school at UNC and racked up a 10th of that amount.

People have got to start having sense about how much they borrow.
    Wait. Are you saying that your husband went to four years of med school and only had to take out a loan of 30 thousand? My DH is currently in med school. Tuition alone for one year is well above that. Plus books, supplies, tests, residency applications...

I get having common sense about how much you borrow. But I don't know of anyone in his class who is escaping with debt that equals just one year of tuition. Right now he is in rotations and it costs nearly a thousand bucks a week. All the common sense in the world won't make us wealthy enough to afford this without loans. Glad your DH got off that easy, but higher loans aren't a sign of lack of common sense.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Okay, this brings up what is, to me, an interesting question. Having returned to school in my 30s (not too long ago) I know that when taking a student loan you are affirming by signing that the monies are to be used only for school-related expenses, including basic living expenses. It is very clear in the paperwork (if read) that the monies are not to be used for non-education related expenses.

FP used part of hers for a truck and trailer and a trip to Europe. Other OPs have stated that they used part of their loan $$ for frivilous items. We have had people on other threads mention using student loan money for horses, etc.

But on an OT day, plenty of people thought it was necessary for the government to forgive student loans because it was too difficult to pay them back (although payments and requirements are clearly explained when you take them out). So is everyone okay with paying more in taxes to forgive student loans, including those used to purchase trips, trailers, horses, etc.?

It seems strange to me that I may be required to pay for others to take trips and buy things I cannot afford myself...because I was paying back my loans.
    Last edited by MoonoverMississippi; Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: formating issues

FP, enjoy it.
    Camargue: I have never been but from people who have been there, I was told it was not so easy to find the horses and when you do, it is usually a tourist trap!! Have you ever read the book "Crin blanc" (White Mane). That book upset me so much as a child... and the movie (story of a kid who befriends one of the horses the "cowboys" are set on capturing... at the end, they escape by swimming out to sea... Sad...)
    I saw you spent time in Annecy (I am French and this is my favourite French city by FAR!)...
    Enjoy the food too (croissants, French baguettes... ) yummy... There are so many horsey places to visit...
    Yes, you have loans and you will have to repay them. It's probably the moment to take that vacation. Once you start, you will have no time and probably most of your money will go to pay the loans back.
    Have fun!!

Sounds to me that the trip is also for education purposes... visiting other vet schools, establishing contacts for current and future programs.. and vets need trucks to go on farm calls... ok, maybe far fetched, but still related.

Because I do not agree with forgiving student loans I guess it does not matter to me what they consider a school expense and I do not.

I think student loans are like every other loan, you agreed to pay it back so pay it back.

Waiting on xrays. Still on tiny key board. I know all three of her dogs and she takes great care of them. The one at my house has had some issues and she is always on top of it. Yes she really did just graduate at NCSU. And as far as the rest goes, I just don't understand why anyone here has taken it upon themselves the witch hunt her and question her life. What has this place turned into? This used to be a community, where we focused on information and doing good things. This is sad and not just a little sick.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Vets usually take a business loan for their mobil equipment...after they become a vet.

I've got little opinion on the rest of the issues...but the uses of the student loans are, well, questionable.

It may/may not be illegal to use a student loan for motor vehicles, trailers or trips..it depends on what type of student loan the person took out.

And whether it's illegal or not...the lending institution may come after you for misuse of funds.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I wasn't going to wade in here, but seems like someone else needs to stand up for FP.
    Count me in too.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Since I actually know her and have her dog with me, I guess I would know better than a bunch of strangers on the Internet.
    I think you're in Raleigh so that must be Stumpy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
    I'm also glad I invested in FatPalomino's life, and the lives of her horses and dogs. Having met her in real life, I wouldn't change one thing I have done for or with her.
    Me too, if there is nothing more I can do than be a friend, a spare bed when she rolls through town.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Nothing she has done since contradicts anything she said in that conversation.

None of it is my business anyway. I had absolutely no expectations of her. She was pretty cool to talk to and didn't ask me for anything whatsoever.
    THIS. She's a free spirit, she is. We stayed up until 4 am chatting and story telling like we had known each other forever. And then she stayed in my guest room. Her dog, Rockstar, too.

She's a real person. She doesn't hide who she is and you can like her or not, but she isn't hiding behind a keyboard or an alter bashing other posters on a very public forum.

Have fun in Europe and beyond, FP.
    Dreaming in Color

Forgiveness for student loans, be they veterinary or otherwise, ought to be linked to some benefit to the public that underwrote them.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    I'm going to keep the rest of the details of my life for the book I guess I should write, since I am flattered y'all find it so interesting.
    Interesting? Nope. Just another cheater.

I see a lot of people here characterizing FP as a "free spirit", like that's some kind of charm. Sorry, but in this case (& in many others) the term "free spirit" is simply a nice way of saying "irresponsible".

And I completely agree with those who feel that financial aid should be used for the purpose(s) it was intended for. And that does not include trucks, trailers, &/or trips to Europe - regardless of how many vets one hobnobs with while there.

Shame on you FP. How long will it be before you're on here starting a new thread & whining about how you can't afford to pay back your loans?

Wow...so many posters that I used to respect...

Y'all need to get a life and butt out of FP's. And the mods need to shut this down and poof it away.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Interesting? Nope. Just another cheater.
    I'm confused... does it state somewhere that FP is getting student loan forgiveness? If not, then what does it matter what she chose to use her loan money for? It's her debt to pay back. Would you be pulling out the cheater card for someone who say - took out a home equity loan and used it to buy a boat? What business is it of anyone's what anyone else uses loan money for? I don't get it? It's not coming out of your pocket. The people that gave her tack and money did so willingly to help someone out who was in a tough situation knowing at some point she'd dig herself out - and not be in need any more. I'm imagining this need came at the time where she was at the school that didn't qualify for financial aid and she needed the loan money to pay her full tuition. And her actually getting loans for that much and using it for other things doesn't mean that she didn't have financial need to get aid in the first place.

I'm in school and don't qualify for financial aid at all d/t our household income. I also don't qualify for federal student loans. If I were to take out a loan for school, it would have to be a private loan. My friend, on the other hand, qualified for full financial aid PLUS federal loan amount that's SIX TIMES the cost of actual tuition and books.

And speaking of being in school... It is stressful. I'm exhausted. And I haven't gone through anything CLOSE to what FP has. I dream every day that I slug through assignments and exams of the moment it's over... Upon which time, I will use money that's not mine (credit card) -because between tuition, me not working, and the cost of life there's not going to be any cash left at that point-, book myself and DH a lovely vacation somewhere tropical, and abandon my kids and pets with parents and inlaws (with my emergency contact info, of course!) and take off for a week and regroup. Then, I will return home, retrieve my kids, start my job, and pay my debt back to Visa - Is there something wrong with that?

B1--I, for one, do not equate "free spirit" with "irresponsible." So take your judgeypants attitude and your B1-version of the thesaurus and stuff it.

THIS IS NO ONE'S BUSINESS BUT FP's, HER SCHOOLS', AND THE IRS. Save the discussion of student loans for an OT day if you like, but take the personal assumptions and attacks out of this. If you don't know her, or me, or any of the others who know her in real life, then acknowledge that you have no firsthand knowledge of much of anything related to her and just go away.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by khorsem View Post
    I'm confused... does it state somewhere that FP is getting student loan forgiveness? If not, then what does it matter what she chose to use her loan money for? It's her debt to pay back. Would you be pulling out the cheater card for someone who say - took out a home equity loan and used it to buy a boat? What business is it of anyone's what anyone else uses loan money for?
    The reason it matters is that you agree, when taking out the loan, that that money is to be used for educational and basic living purposes only.

I am the one that brought up the debt forgiveness, not because of FP directly, but I found it interesting that on an OT day thread plenty of people were stating that the government should forgive student loans because the repayment was so difficult/ education costs were too high, but in this thread people have said they have no issues with others using that $$ for unintended purposes.

When you take out a home equity loan there usually are no stipulations on what the money is used for (surely you knew that?), on student loans there is.

It does say something about one's integrity when they agree in writing when borrowing money to use it only for X and they blow it on Y.

I want to believe FP is what I imagine her to be: kind, trusting (too trusting?), curious, independent, full of life. When God tells us to help others, he doesn't mean we attach strings to that help. Sometimes you have to make the leap of faith.

FP, you can visit me any time with all the dogs and cats you can fit in your car.

What you do with your loan money is none of my business, and certainly not even in the same ballpark as those investment bankers who nearly destroyed our economy or the billionaires who use every little tax ploy they can to have even more billions.

If you spend your whole life being "responsible" you might just miss those experiences you'll think back on when you're too old to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    The reason it matters is that you agree, when taking out the loan, that that money is to be used for educational and basic living purposes only.

I am the one that brought up the debt forgiveness, not because of FP directly, but I found it interesting that on an OT day thread plenty of people were stating that the government should forgive student loans because the repayment was so difficult/ education costs were too high, but in this thread people have said they have no issues with others using that $$ for unintended purposes.

When you take out a home equity loan there usually are no stipulations on what the money is used for (surely you knew that?), on student loans there is.

It does say something about one's integrity when they agree in writing when borrowing money to use it only for X and they blow it on Y.
    EXACTLY - and in spades. THANK YOU!!!