The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    [edit]
    I can't believe this interests me since I usually read the trainwrecks but never participate.

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Oct. 8, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: to remove personal attack

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Well congratulations to him.

Getting in to your 'in-state' CVM is about the only way to reduce debt load UNLESS your in-state school is one which charges the same for in-state/out-of-state tuition. Most vet students come out around $250,000 in debt and that figure goes up every year.
    Or you could live in the state for a year and get in-state tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripolye View Post
    I can't believe this interests me since I usually read the trainwrecks but never participate.

[edit]

I am so glad you took the time to post, because this is one of the best posts I have ever read on any bulletin board ever.

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Oct. 8, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: to remove personal attack

Fat Palomino -

I do not know you at all, and I don't really care what everyone else says either, because I'm pretty sure they don't *know* you either -

So regardless of what of what a few of these posters are on you about -

How exciting is it to be in Europe? Hope you have a wonderful time - take lots of pictures!
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    I take it you have never been through the vet school application process?

I believe only 1 or 2 vet schools in the United States allow a person to establish residency for tuition purposes if they were initially enrolled as out-of-state. When working on applications, the majority of them had a statement in their supplemental application that said something along the lines of 'If enrolled as an out-of-state/nonresident student, you will retain nonresident status for tuition purposes for the duration of time at this university even if you have established residency with the state.'

Unless you are meaning move to the state of the school you want to get in to a year before applications. That is another, even more complicated process for vet school applications. And with the number of applicants per open spot...eek.
    Last edited by Rudy; Oct. 8, 2012 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesy View Post
    Fat Palomino -

I do not know you at all, and I don't really care what everyone else says either, because I'm pretty sure they don't *know* you either -

How exciting is it to be in Europe? Hope you have a wonderful time - take lots of pictures!
    Thank you! It is amazing. It remind me of when I first started vet school, and both didn't think I could "do" it and certainly couldn't afford it. Its petrifying and exhilarating at the same time. Then all of the sudden it will be done, and I'll look back and saw "wow".

I've met some amazingly kind people who have helped instil back my faith in people. The network of Couchsurfers is amazing. I can't wait until the people who I meet here come to the USA and I can show them around.

I hope to make it to Camargue to see the wild white French horses in the marsh and somehow get into the Spanish riding school. I was quite impressed with the mounted units in London. There horses were top notch and the riders appeared quite talented. Possibly it's because they don't sling mud from behind a computer screen and go outside to ride?

I've spent a were with two different vets with which we are planning an international spay/neuter operation that we've been discussing for about a year now. A chunk of time next week will be in another university setting learning ways the vet med is done here and making connections to help the project we've been working about. Fwiw, every student I have met here I using financial aid money. My budget monthly is less than I was paying in rent and utilities stateside.

For those of you who want to know if I exist, I'll gladly how the link for the state where I'm licensed whenever it's completed. It will likely be another month before I can be licensed to work. I'll throw in my first born for collateral

Please forgive the typos. My only connection is a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesy View Post
    Fat Palomino -

Ditto what Bluesy said- she said it better then I would.

Good on ya for taking a break ( and I think anyone who finished vet school probably needs one! )

Hope you come back refreshed and energized to tackle your new job!

Have a fantastic trip!

P.
    (a fellow traveller currently in Cairns at the Great Barrier Reef)

Default Camargue

A friend and I stumbled upon the Camargue ponies while taking a meandering ride to Nice several years ago.

I loved the area and the ponies! I was also stunned to see flocks and flocks of wild flamingos around the ponies, what a sight!

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post

I am so glad you took the time to post, because this is one of the best posts I have ever read on any bulletin board ever.

[edit]
    Trying to keep an open mind about FP, but its challenging.
    Since you are a friend of her's Larkspur, and are dragging [edit] into this, sorry to say, but you aren't doing your friend any service.
    You know the saying you are who you keep company with....well, your posts have certainly deteroriated to scum level.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Oct. 8, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    Trying to keep an open mind about FP, but its challenging.
    Since you are a friend of her's Larkspur, and are dragging the bedroom into this, sorry to say, but you aren't doing your friend any service.
    You know the saying you are who you keep company with....well, your posts have certainly deteriorated to scum level.
    Meh. Neither one of them were the poster who jumped on this train bound for he!! blasting about FP's alleged indulging in libations and the posters precious son.

I'm pretty damn sure that each and every one of us has one or two moments in life especially in our college years that we certainly hope don't make a star appearance on some internet forum narrated by the scorned mother of some boy or girl.

I also don't blame LarkspurCO for defending her friend. She has personal experience with FP out side the restraints of an internet forum. With all the speculating and neigh saying I think Lark's experience with FP holds more water then any of our internet accounts.

I for one don't think its any of my business how / why or when FP chooses to use her own financial aid. Her money her choices.

I hope she has a fantastic time in Europe and hope when she returns her professional career is long lasting and satisfying.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

As a friend once said, "Go down to Walmart and get yourself a sense of humor."

I'm guessing that the others who have had not so great interactions are probably unwilling to come forward now that we've descended into scandal rag territory and I don't blame them.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Damn!

And I felt guilty simply asking my facebook peeps to please, PLEASE share my links to my eBay auction with others, so I can buy a couple round bales of hay.
    I am so broke from having to feed soaked hay cubes & beet-pulp every 4 - 6 hours, I'm living on Ramon noodles & Peanut butter (not together, of course )

Jingles that my items sell will suffice from CoTHers.
    (Thank you in advance, for those who do!)

Nasalberry,PM me your links and I'll post them on facebook. You never know.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Same here Nasal...
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I wasn't going to wade in here, but seems like someone else needs to stand up for FP.

I met her last year (labor day weekend, I think) not long after she moved to Raleigh. She's a lovely person and it was fun afternoon at a used tack sale here. Can I see where some people might be a bit suspicious of a free spirit and a bit judgeypants on someone else's decision--sure! We're COTH and that's part of what we do here. Now, I don't know FP all that well, not have I known her for years and years, but I not once got the sense that she was anything other than a lovely, albeit free-ish spirit, who was trying to find her way in this world. And my spidey sense when it comes to humans is usually pretty darn accurate.

So, seriously people, lay the eff off! So what if YOU would have lead your life a bit differently. And yes, there are always two sides to every story, but when you are spending your energy digging for a way to tear someone down who's doing her damndest to claw her way out of a horrible situation, well, that's YOUR problem.

FP--Love the updates from Europe. Please keep them coming!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    We are talking vet school here not a liberal arts education at a community college that will take anyone.

I know the medical school (not vet school) near me tends to not accept people who are local into their program, even if they did their undergraduate work at the school.

I do not know FP at all other than what is posted here. Not sticking up for her or putting her down, just disputing this tid bit which is clearly posted by someone who does not understand how these types of schools work.

I also know of two people who toured around over seas after finishing college on a budget of almost nothing.

I don't have time to read this while thread right now I M typing on an iPhone in the dentists office. I read the first page in tiny print and let me just say you people need something to do. Since I actually know her and have her dog with me, I guess I would know better than a bunch of strangers on the Internet. So glad I have been too busy to participate here lately since this is the kin of crap that has become the norm.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    I funded this Trip ( staying in bunk beds in hostels and sleeping in strangers couches) with financial aid money. The same funds I used to purchase my truck and trailer.
    This infuriates me. You obviously did not need financial aid if you had enough money to pay for vet school and you can use these funds to splurge on a truck, a trailer, and an extended European vacation. Shame on you. When I think how other vet students desperately need the money for an education, and funds are so limited, it's this abuse of the money that limits the funds for those who truly need it and also raises their interest rate.

You need a break after vet school? Great. I wouldn't begrudge anyone a nice vacation after all that. But to take the money that perhaps was denied to someone else is wrong. I've been through that process and the funds are to be used for your medical education.

Also agree with those who say that $200-$300K has pretty much become the norm for many vet students and that most vet school do indeed deny in-state residency for students. There are only 28 vet schools in this country. It's not like human medical schools where there are approx. 140 (plus around 30 DO school).

Above poster, have no fear. These funds are part of a degree in non profit management. And I'm quite sure a "nice vacation" means not sleeping on couches and washing clothes in sinks.

I will be making a mortgage payment on my loans for 30 years. I invested in myself and was glad I did.

I'm going to keep the rest of the details of my life for the book I guess I should write, since I am flattered y'all find it so interesting.

Carry on.