The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Where in the world is Fat Palomino?

Headed to see some German warmbloods in Germany and the Spanish Riding School in Vienna in the next 2-3 weeks!

http://whereismaggie.com

That sounds like the trip of a lifetime! I'm so glad you're having some fun and seeing the world.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Yeah! I love your story!!!! Woot!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Cool Very COOL indeed ~ ENJOY ~

Very COOL indeed ! ~ ENJOY ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Gee "Maggie", whose money did you use for this trip? See the other post regarding her disappearance, begging help and money and then poof, off to Europe to see German Warmbloods and the Spanish Riding School?
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

There is far too much that is unknown for this thread. I seriously think questions etc should be directed via PM. This could be a wonderful trip, or an irresponsible trip and no one here knows.

I really hope this thread doesn't degenerate into the train wreck it could be. I really hope there isn't rampant speculation.

Ruh Ro... Back story coming... I hope not.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Does anyone really know her? She seems to either have the worst luck in the world, or a good imagination. I know someone tried to verify that she had graduated from vet school in St. Kitts and came up with nada.

If she's on the up and up,well, then I apologize for my suspicions. But things just aren't adding up.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Does anyone really know her? She seems to either have the worst luck in the world, or a good imagination. I know someone tried to verify that she had graduated from vet school in St. Kitts and came up with nada.

If she's on the up and up,well, then I apologize for my suspicions. But things just aren't adding up.
    I thought she was finishing up at the vet school at NCSU.

DH and I went to Germany on our honeymoon and went to the Marbach Stud where they breed Arabians, W├╝rttembergers, and Black Forest Drafts. It was awesome! I think we were a week before the big stallion showcase that they do every September, but I'm hoping to go back in the next few years
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    I thought she was finishing up at the vet school at NCSU.
    Well, that would be true. From what I understand about island vet schools, you have to finish at least your last year in the U.S.

I'll have to double check to see if what I remember is accurate before I make a statement about NCSU.

Here is the photo of the NCSU Veterinary School Class of 2012. There were 76 graduates, 76 photos. Look for yourself and tell me what you see. I was sent the same photo this summer and the names were more legible.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Oct. 7, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

As I sit in a hostel sharing bunk beds I am reading this thread. And others. Wow. I apologize or typos as I am not using a computer and have very limited Internet.

For the first time ever, I wish I hadn't shared.

I'm a big fan of transparency. Yes I am finished school and let my lease go on my apartment. I gave away my furniture to a vet stdent who needed it more than me. I have only a PO box. No permanent address. Can you imagine what that feels like, to not be able to say where you are from or know where tou are going to return to? I am so grateful that one person came into my life that did. My car is parked at the same woman's home who I trust dearly ( and trusting doesntcome easy anymore) and also promise she wont sell my car. She and everyone else that has my animals has emergency contact numbers to reach someone who can authorize any care needed for my critters while I'm abroad. not sure what the topics are of my sick dog? Is it the one who had a 1000k work up before I left? Or the puppy my friend begged me to leave with her that I rescued from the Caribbean and amputated her baldy broken leg? Yes. I have 3 dogs. If that makes mea bad person, so be it. They are loyal, kind, and honest.

I am staying with a frien and vet in Vienna with who I plan on continuing to Dj. Charity work with. I met and helped her in Romania. She's offered me a couch in her very small flat. Would you like her email?

I interviewed and externed throughout the country. It led me to an amazing job in a place I never expected. I funded this Trip ( staying in bunk beds in hostels and sleeping in strangers couches) with financial aid money. The same funds I used to purchase my truck and trailer. What's another 5k when I'm almost 300k in debt?

My new boss told me to stay out here, and I am following his advice. He is wiser than me This is my chance to build back the confidence that was shattered and the trust in myself that was destroyed when I kept trying to do the best I could, but even that didnt work. This is my lesson to teach myself how to live for a month by following my intuition. It's what will help me be an elite ER vet. I need to prove to mysef that I CAN do this. I didn't say what if. I went. Just like when I went for my first semester of vet school and had no clue how to study or live alone when I got there. I knew it was sink or swim. Often we learn best by doing, not criticizing and saying what if. Or, at least I am a hands on learner

I also did this for a break. To see what people do when try don't need to be at clinics 7 day a week. To make new friends, because some of te old ones i had were not ones I choose to keep in my life I'm taking time to have fun and find balance. Those were things I was missing.

I don't have one pm waiting. As for the stories, a trainer once told me " believe none of what you see and half of what you hear".

I did not see the other post when I posted mine. I was advised to delete any public commentary about pending criminal matters, fwiw.

I sincerely appreciate the opportunities I've been given and all of the people who have helped me. No, I dont do things the way everyone else does, and that's ok. Would you accept a job in which you work overnights, weekends, and holiday as your routine schedule? I was excited to. Thank goodness the world isn't full of the same people. It's be much too boring and we'd never learn anything.

It anyone who has donated to me or the charity I used to be a part of, drop me an email and have no fear, when I get a paycheck, I'll gladly send it back or donate to "better" cause in your name. The moral of my life is to do the best I can with what I have. I'm pushing myself outside my comfort zone right now ( my real life friends can comment on how petrified I was to do this and stay) so if I can do better, I will. I'm glad to admit my faults and show the world my mistakes in the hopes they will help just one person who was in a situation like me. Condemn me if you'd like. I won't be here to fight back, because I will be outside giving it 100% , plus an extra 20%. It certainly helps that I have met a handful of amazing friends from this board. PBJ, whose jokes are infinitely funnier than mine, is a brilliant example.

I posted the blog because I had wanted to share the end of the story. The part where I high five the world for helping me get to be the first medical doctor in my family. For hoping it can help inspire confidence or the spirit in others that they can do it, too. Criticize me all you want, because I know I am doing the very best I can with what I have. Are you? Feel free to throw rocks at me from your glass houses. I'm won't throw them back, but instead will use them to pave a new path ( using the insight from many which are older and wiser than me) and hope that someone else in a situation like mine will choose to follow it . Keep sitting behind a computer and criticizing. I'll be out living.
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Oct. 7, 2012 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    I funded this Trip ( staying in bunk beds in hostels and sleeping in strangers couches) with financial aid money. The same funds I used to purchase my truck and trailer. What's another 5k when I'm almost 300k in debt?
    What, what?? You are using financial aid money to buy trucks, trailers, and vacations? What about the prior posts where you said that your student loans barely covered tuition or your school didn't even have financial aid?

Wow. And people say that student loan debt should be forgiven.

As I sit in a hostel sharing bunk beds I am reading this thread. And others. Wow. I apologize or typos as I am not using a computer and have very limited Internet.

I'm a big fan of transparency. Yes I am finished school and let my lease go. I gave away my furniture to a vet stdent who needed it more than me. I have only a PO box. No permanent address. Can you imagine what that feels like, to not be able to say where you are from or know where tou are going to return to? I am so grateful that one person came into my life that did. My car is parked at the same woman's home who I trust dearly ( and trusting doesntcome easy anymore) and also promise she wont sell my car. She and everyone else that has my animals has emergency contact numbers to reach someone who can authorize any care needed for my critters while I'm abroad. not sure what the topics are of my sick dog? Is it the one who had a 1000k work up before I left? Or the puppy my friend begged me to leave with her that I rescued from the Caribbean and amputated her baldy broken leg? Yes. I have 3 dogs. If that makes mea bad person, so be it. They are loyal, kind, and honest.

I am staying with a frien and vet in Vienna with who I plan on continuing to Dj. Charity work with. I met and helped her in Romania. She's offered me a couch in her very small flat. Would you like her email?

I interviewed and externed throughout the country. It led me to an amazing job in a place I never expected. I funded this Trip ( staying in bunk beds in hostels and sleeping in strangers couches) with financial aid money. The same funds I used to purchase my truck and trailer. What's another 5k when I'm almost 300k in debt?

My new boss told me to stay out here, and I am following his advice. He is wiser than me This is my chance to build back the confidence that was shattered and the trust in myself that was destroyed when I kept trying to do the best I could, but even that didnt work. This is my lesson to teach myself how to live for a month by following my intuition. It's what will help me be an elite ER vet. I need to prove to mysef that I CAN do this. I didn't say what if. I went. Just like when I went for my first semester of vet school and had no clue how to study or live alone when I got there. I knew it was sink or swim. Often we learn best by doing, not criticizing and saying what if. Or, at least I am a hands on learner

I also did this for a break. To see what people do when try don't need to be at clinics 7 day a week. To make new friends, because some of te old ones i had were not ones I choose to keep in my life I'm taking time to have fun and find balance. Those were things I was missing.

I don't have one pm waiting. As for the stories, a trainer once told me " believe none of what you see and half of what you hear".

I did not see the other post when I posted mine. I was advised to delete any public commentary about pending criminal matters, fwiw.

I sincerely appreciate the opportunities I've been given and all of the people who have helped me. No, I dont do things the way everyone else does, and that's ok. Would you accept a job in which you work overnights, weekends, and holiday as your routine schedule? I was excited to. Thank goodness the world isn't full of the same people. It's be much too boring and we'd never learn anything.

It anyone who has donated to me or the charity I used to be a part of, drop me an email and have no fear, when I get a paycheck, I'll gladly send it back or donate to "better" cause in your name. The moral of my life is to do the best I can with what I have. I'm pushing myself outside my comfort zone right now ( my real life friends can comment on how petrified I was to do this and stay) so if I can do better, I will. I'm glad to admit my faults and show the world my mistakes in the hopes they will help just one person who was in a situation like me. Condemn me if you'd like. I won't be here to fight back, because I will be outside giving it 100% , plus an extra 20%.

I posted the blog because I had wanted to share the end of the story. The part where I high five the world for helping me get to be the first medical doctor in my family. For hoping it can help inspire confidence or the spirit in others that they can do it, too. Criticize me all you want, because I know I am doing the very best I can with what I have. Are you?
    For posterity. A wise person once told me when you smell smoke, there just might be a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by elctrnc View Post
    What, what?? You are using financial aid money to buy trucks, trailers, and vacations? What about the prior posts where you said that your student loans barely covered tuition or your school didn't even have financial aid?

I'm actually really surprised by that. At my school, that would be pretty close to impossible. All student loans (federal or private) have to be authorized through my university, and they will only authorize the amount they think you need.

This year, my federal aid left me $1500 short on tuition. I took out a private loan to cover the gap and to help cover my living expenses. My university would only authorize enough to barely cover my rent each month. The rest I pay for myself.

So while I guess I could see how you could just spend the money in one chunk once you got it, it would leave you pretty high and dry for the rest of the year.

I delayed grad school for a long time because I was afraid of the debt. Now, I keep the loan money in a separate account that I only use to pay living expenses. I won't/don't touch it for my horse, my dog, or my entertainment.

But, I suppose if I had vet school size loans, I'd be pretty desensitized to it too...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    For posterity. A wise person once told me when you smell smoke, there just might be a fire.
    Remember, Greenwich time in Europe is 6 hours ahead of EST in the USA.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by elctrnc View Post

Interesting, since you take financial aid $$ with the signed agreement that it is to be used for tuition, other schooling costs, and living expenses tied to attending an accredited institution. I can see a truck (vehicle to get you to classes, etc.), but a trip to Europe? Says alot about integrity right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Remember, Greenwich time in Europe is 6 hours ahead of EST in the USA.
    Good point, Bluey.

I wouldn't advertise you used student loans to buy a trailer and a trip to Europe. Just bad taste IMO when you were saying you couldn't get them and dad had to pay for a semester and when so many people can't get them to actually go to school it's just bad taste.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

From the thread where FP was looking to rehome her dog.

Maybe a few of you remember me. Hi again! I haven't posted in a while. I used to have the resources to help a few lucky horses and shared their stores with you- Champion Lodge, the imported stakes winning TB we found foundering in route to slaughter a few weeks after leaving Santa Anita- Willy a $50 weanling- Oliver Twist, and $2.50 cent auction purchase colt- Fritz the old chestnut mare who the owners had to give up after 20 years- Desert Spark the scattered brained chestnut LarksparCo so kindly continues to love-and the list goes on.
    Well, all of that earned me a lot of good karma, and this weekend, I'm offering some of it to you. As a bonus, I'm begging you to let a great old dog run around your farm. Doggles not included:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture7-9.png

I found Whitney at the first vet clinic I ever worked at, about 9 or 10 years ago. She was covered head to tail in ticks, was scarred with burn marks, her tail was injured, infected, about to fall off, and she was petrified of people. She picked me to come home with. For about 2 years, she wouldn't let a man touch her. Now, she's the friendliest, kindest dog you will ever meet. That's the amazing thing about animals, how resilient they can be.

On my ranch in Colorado, Whitney was the only dog I could trusted free-rein. She would come to the window and remind us to let her in when the sun would start to set, like clockwork every night, or she'd let herself in through a dog door if she had that option. She lived the perfect life on our ranch for 5 years, and she deserved it after everything she had been through. This was her usual position: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture8-7.png

Then our lives changed. A year ago, while I was studying for one of my last vet school exams on island, I received a phone call. The caller asked if I could come get my dog. I told him I'd be on the next flight. I quickly submitted paperwork to export her (which is neither quick nor easy).

As the story goes, my (now) ex-husband decided to move off of the amazing ranch we owned, without telling me, to rent a house with his new girlfriend (who was pretty pregnant at that point), and Whitney ran away and refused to go back. Good dog.

So, I flew Whitney to live on island with me for 3 months in the Caribbean. (her first plane ride: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...icture3-11.png strolling on the beach: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...icture6-10.png) I took a semester off to sort things out, and Whitney loved living in downtown Austin, TX with me last summer. In August we moved east, to a place where we knew no one within an 8 hour drive, to finish up my last year of vet school. Whitney just isn't coping well anymore.

Neither am I.

I'm so grateful for all that good karma I somehow accrued, as that's been what I've been living off of for the past few months. I live with a friend, because I can't afford my own place, after my (caribbean) school lost their student loans. I had thought (wrongly) I'd always be married and I could always access the $100,000 in cash we put down on our ranch, to help finance my last year of school if I ran into financial trouble. I am able to hold onto my 2 horses only because of the kindness and compassion of friends who are keeping them for me. I've made some amazing friends and am growing stronger and wiser by leaps and bounds. I don't come home to tension, anger, and disrespect anymore, and I can be truly happy again. Long story short, I gave up (some could call it lost) just about everything. The ranch, our savings, my other dogs, but more importantly, my stability. I let all of it go so that I could continue and finish vet school. School is amazing, and I am so incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to be here, surrounded by and learning from some of the most amazing veterinarians in the country. I feel like I'm hanging on by a thread, outside of school, coping with all of this. I keep reminding myself I am so close to finishing my DVM degree (board exam is in 2 months, clinics completed in 6 months).

Whitney is downright miserable at my friend's house and isn't welcome to stay there alone, so, she sits in a kennel 12 hours a day while I am at school. It's a safe place for her to stay, but not the sort of life an old hard-luck dog should live. I promise her, we're almost done. She's recently become downright miserable in the kennels, although my other dog has been able to adapt very well. It's causing me an incredible amount of stress. If I only could afford an apartment, a dog sitter, or to fly her to Colorado and someone there that could watch Whitney for a little while....

I just need to lighten the load in my backpack on this uphill journey I'm traveling on right now, because it's affecting my ability perform at my best at school. I'll get stronger again, and things will get better soon, but I just need a little bit of help for a little bit of time.

I'm hoping someone with acreage may be in need of a little bit of karma, and wouldn't mind letting Whitney stay with you for a while. You may not even know she's there. She's self sufficient, wise, smart. All she'd like to do is have the ability to stretch her legs during the day, and a warm place to curl up at night inside to sleep. I've gathered up just enough money to cover the gas, and am going visit my best friend in Urbana, Illinois for a few weeks, in hopes of finding my path again, as I feel just so lost right now. I just need a little break to regroup and recenter myself, and to be back around someone who cares about me. My best friend does not want Whitney in her apartment, because she's over the pet limit. I leave tonight, and will be in Illinois by Monday...

I'll figure out something (I always do), but, I'm finally learning how to ask for help. Maybe someone would like to borrow Whitney for 2 or 3 weeks while I regroup at my friend's, or maybe even for a few months while I finish school. So, is anyone on the route I'm driving through in NC/TN/KY/IA/IL interested in meeting my special little girl this weekend? What's the worse you can say, no? She's in no danger, as I will never let anything bad happen to her. Maybe this is inappropriate to ask, but, I don't know what else to do. I have exhausted many other options.

Our last morning on island: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...icture1-15.png

Roadtrip out east: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...icture2-13.png

A much younger, less grey, Whitney: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...icture10-4.png

She can come with all her food and flea/tick medications. She's about 12 years old now. She gets along with everyone and everything, is incredibly healthy, and I'm not sure if I have ever heard her bark. She loves car rides, romantic walks along the beach, and cat poop. When she comes in at night, she will curl up on a pillow or the corner of the bed, and won't move for about 12 hours.

I'm packing up and hitting the road shortly, but if you're interested in seeing Whit (or lending me a hug), please email me If not, can you lend a jingle or two that I will find me way through all of this? I'm taking US-40 tonight, because it looks like snow on the northern route, and with 213,000 miles and a slipping transmission, we're avoiding as much snow as we can. I'll be in Lexington, KY with old friends Saturday and Sunday, then to Illinois Sunday night, most likely.