The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have a 9yo OTTB who had the same exact issue. I started using Keratex initially about every other day. Focus on putting it on the nail holes, so the bottom half of the hoof. At the same time I started him in rim pads to give his soles a little more distance from the hard ground. A year later, knock on wood, his feet are better than ever and he hasnt lost a shoe since starting keratex. Now I only apply it twice a week for maintenance purposes.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

I used to use Keratex with good results but I decided it was too expensive and switch to Hoof Shield. I actually think the Hoof Shield works better and it is a fraction of the cost. My farrier uses Hoof Shield on all his horses.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

To my clients I recommend Keratex for the walls and nothing but Durasole for the soles. Durasole also has the advantage of being relatively inexpensive especially as compared to Keratex and Crossapol.

On day 8 and already a difference in my tender-footed girl! Willa's feet were crumbling apart this summer and she seemed foot sore in general. Very short choppy strides, reluctance to go forward, tense tail and very ouchy on gravel. I was about to throw on shoes when I read about the Keratex Hoof Hardener. Figured it was worth a try. I did it for 3 days, then work got in the way so 4 days off, then 5 days straight and still going. Her movement is worlds better already! She is suddenly willing to go forward and no more tail clamping or tiny steps. I used the hoof hardener on the soles and hoof wall. Too early to tell if it will help her cracking off chunks hooves but I have high hopes!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Everyone probably knows this, but pouring the Keratex into a small container for application and keeping the actual Keratex bottle closed tightly will keep the bottle from randomly getting knocked over and spilling very expensive Keratex.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Everyone probably knows this, but pouring the Keratex into a small container for application and keeping the actual Keratex bottle closed tightly will keep the bottle from randomly getting knocked over and spilling very expensive Keratex.
    Plus it keeps the brush from carrying dirt etc. into the nice, full, clean keratex bottle. I keep a supplement scoop (like a one ounce flat bottom scoop) just for pouring small amounts of keratex in. Rather spill that than the $$ bottle.

I also always wear gloves and keep it away from my eyes.
    Last edited by horsepoor; Oct. 10, 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: IPad autocorrect...

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Plus it keeps the brush from carrying dirt etc. into the nice, full, clean keratex bottle. I keep a supplement scoop (like a one ounce flat bottom scoop) just for pouring small amounts of keratex in. Rather spill that than the $$ bottle.

I also always wear gloves and keep it away from my eyes.
    Well, look at this handy thing -

http://www.horze.com/Hoof-Dressing-B...&cgid=Grooming

Horze has 50% off, too if you use codes: GREAT1 or AWESOME2, I think. When you put something in the cart, enter the code and apply, and then it shows the half off price for everything.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I've used Keratex and always liked it -- but an old school horse lady turned me onto Venice Turpentine, and I'm sold. The stuff is wonderful for taking the 'ouch' out of bruises or for sore footed horses. I guess because it's kind of 'old school,' a lot of farriers/vets don't talk about it anymore, which is a shame, because I think it works as good if not better than Keratex, and it is cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by threar View Post
    I've used Keratex and always liked it -- but an old school horse lady turned me onto Venice Turpentine, and I'm sold. The stuff is wonderful for taking the 'ouch' out of bruises or for sore footed horses. I guess because it's kind of 'old school,' a lot of farriers/vets don't talk about it anymore, which is a shame, because I think it works as good if not better than Keratex, and it is cheaper too.
    I used Keratex as well for about year or so and didn't see much of a result so my Farrier suggested the Venice Turpentine. It worked much better but is a lot more messy. I found Farrier's Fix and that has done wonders for my horse. Farrier is pleased and it is reasonably priced. And I think it does help foot soreness as my guy can get ouchy.

http://www.farriersfix.com/

I have an appendix QH who also has thin shelly walls. He couldn't hold a shoe more than 4 weeks with out it!! Keratex is the best---within 2 weeks of using it, the nail holes stopped cracking--now my horseshoer is a convert and is recommending it to his other clients.