The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pergolide and Chastetree berry questions

My horse has had symptoms of PPID for years - borderline test results.
    I put him on CTB powder about 1.1/2 years ago. It really seemed to help.
    If it was effective I don't think it is now - or it is less effective. ie horse losing weight and muscle/topline.

My horse has been tested four times with Cornell. Two slightly elevated results.

Last month we tested with Texas A&M's lab and his results were high - even considering the seasonal rise.

He was 84 pg/ml on TAMU's range of 18.68 +/- 6.79 pg/ml.
    (baseline/endogenous test).

Started him on Pergolide capsules this week. Planning on increasing the dose from .25 mg/day - adding .25 mg every five days until he is on 1mg.

Should I keep him on the CTB powder? He has been on one teaspoon 2x/day.
    Or taper off and discontinue?

Do most people give the Perg 1x/day or half dose am/pm?

TIA.
    Lyme Disease - please excuse my comprehension difficultes

I think it would help if you spelled out the words. I have no idea what PPID, CTB or TAMUs are.

I use Prascend and not compounded Pergolide, but works the same - my vet recommended starting 2x /day for a week or so to ease into the medicine, and then just giving it once/day. That seems to be what I've read most people do. And unless your horse will eat anything, it's easier to make sure they get the proper dose if you only have to check/hand feed/syringe etc. once a day.

I brought my pony up to his full dose (.5mg) in one week. I'm not sure you need to be so careful about doing it over 5 weeks but I'm sure it can't hurt. My guy's ACTH was 325 so I didn't want to mess around waiting. He only had one meal where he didn't feel hungry, and that was all, so it didn't affect his appetite much.

Personally, I'd discontinue the Chastetree berry while he's on pergolide. For one, he shouldn't need both if the pergolide is working properly, and I'd be concerned that you might have some masking of symptoms if the dosage isn't right - you will want to know if it is enough or not....not to mention it didn't seem to be helping by itself anyway....might as well save your money for the pergolide.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    I think it would help if you spelled out the words. I have no idea what PPID, CTB or TAMUs are.
    With respect, I am not sure that the people to whom she is asking the question would be aided by further definition.

PPID = equine pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction, more commonly known as Cushings.

CTB = chastetree berry

TAMU = Texas A+M

As we are looking again at Cushings vs. IR vs. Furry Easy Keeper NOS for my guy, I am also interested in the answers to these questions.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I had my pony on compounded Pergolide (liquid) and we only gave it once daily. He lived a very happy and healthy six years post-diagnosis/treatment but then rapidly declined and we had to put him down.

Renn/aissance, thanks for the explanation. I have a horse with Cushings. If the OP had said Cushings, I would have realized that was what the OP was talking about! I have heard the term PPTD, but it didn't flash into my mind what the acronym stood for. TAMU ? Texas A&M, I've heard of that -- even though it's not even in my country.

To get to what I now understand about the OP's question -- I have a draft horse on pergolide @ 3 mg once per day in the evening. I think it took a week to get her started on it a few years ago, at a much lower dose. We've increased the dose, but she is still very hairy and obese. Pergolide is very expensive -- over $400 for 100 capsules. I can't wait for Prascend to become available here!

The addition of levothyroxine helped a bit. I would discontinue the Chasteberry so you can see if the pergolide is having an effect, especially since it seems to be losing its effectiveness anyway.

I don't believe you are supposed to give chasteberry and pergolide @ the same time. I would discontinue the chasteberry.

I was told by my vet to give the pergolide and the chastetree berry together. She said they work best together....

I know - now you are more confused! SORRY!

The CB has no independent empirical data supporting efficacy. I'd dump it and focus on the pergolide for now.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    The CB has no independent empirical data supporting efficacy. I'd dump it and focus on the pergolide for now.
    I agree. My pony was on chaste tree berry during early/borderline cushings, but once it progressed a bit we put her on pergolide and discontinued the chaste tree per vet's instructions.

Your vet should advise you about timing of the dosage. Our pony got it 1x daily. That's great you are using capsules, they are supposedly more stable. Good luck!